Cricket/New Batsman's end.

Respected sir,
Deliberate short running :- On the 3rd delivery of an over, after completing one run both batsmen went for 2nd run. Non-Striker who was good batsman & who had made good his ground at bowler's end on 2nd run wanted to be on strike for further delivery, gave call for third run to the striker who had not yet made good his ground at WK's end on 2nd run, deliberately didn't make good his ground at WK's end and turn for 3rd run but he failed to make good his ground at bowler's end where wicket was fairly put down by bowler. Bowler's end umpire gave the striker out as run out on 3rd attempt. In this deliberate short running scenario at which end the new upcoming batsman will go?

The umpires will have to be certain that this was a deliberate, planned, attempt to cheat.  The Non-Striker may not have realised that Striker had not completed his run and the Striker may have been panicked by the call for third run.

If the umpires (both) are not certain, then one run will be awarded, second run called short.  New batsman will go to the end at which wicket was broken.  Admittedly, this will allow non-striker to be at the end he preferred.

If they are certain that it was cheating, then he will invoke Law 18.5, disallow all runs, return non-striker to where he started.  The new batsman will go to the opposite end (on strike in this case).  They must then invoke the formal reporting procedures.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998