Cricket/New Batsman's end.

Respected sir,
1) Deliberate short running :- On the 3rd delivery of an over, batsmen completed two runs. As the non-striker was good batsman he wanted the strike so he called striker for 3rd impossible run. Striker deliberately didn't make good his ground at WK's end and turn for 3rd run but he failed to make good his ground at bowler's end where wicket was fairly put down by bowler. Bowler's end umpire gave the striker out as run out. In this deliberate short running scenario at which end the new upcoming batsman will go?
2)Deliberate padding :- Having deliberate padded striker went for run but before completing good his ground at bowler's end he was given out run out  by bowler's end umpire. In this deliberate padding scenario at which end the new upcoming batsman will go?

Hi Prince,

So nice questions. Both questions carry one common thing that who will take the striker? So let me answer your both questions.

1. Generally incidents related to short runs happen during the closing stage of the game, when batting side need quick runs to achieve target and its but natural one of the batsmen while in quest of quick runs, likely to take short run and also some time to get the particular batsman at the striker end. Deliberate short runs not only enforce umpires to disallow all runs, other than any penalties and also fetch a warning from umpires. Moreover even if the ball crosses the boundary it will not cancel the penalty of 5 runs to the other side. The cancellation of all runs means batsmen are to return to their original ends. This also applies even though one of the batsman is out Run out while taking runs, means here in the narrated incident the striker is out RO, even though at the non striker's end, the umpires will ask the non striker to return to his original end and the new batsman will take the strike unless umpire calls "over".

Although the short run might have happened at either end, and both umpires must have seen the action, but it is always the bowler's end umpire who will issue the warning and also if penalty of 5 runs is applicable. Some time both umpires may require to take joint decision, although Reporting is to be made jointly.

2. Deliberate padding is covered under Law: 26 Bye & Leg Bye: The batsmen are allowed to take runs on deliberate padding, unless the striker has attempted to play the ball with his bat or tried to avoid being hit by the ball. When a batsman pads up, ball remains in play. The ball is not dead until one run has been completed or the ball goes to the boundary. The delay in calling and signalling dead ball is to give a fair chance to the fielding side to get either batsman run out. So in the narrated incident the striker is stranded out side the crease and he is rightly given Run Out. The run and boundary shall be disallowed. Send back non striker to his original position and new batsman always will take strike unless that was the last ball of the over.

Hope this is very much clear and also this will satisfy your query. Thanks again for nice questions. I like you to ask more and more questions. Keep it up.

With best wishes,

Suhas Sapre
Baroda 30/08/2016

Suhas L Sapre

I can help to give all questions regarding cricket laws, rules on both umpiring and cricket scoring. It will be a great pleasure to help any candidate who wants to clear the exam of BCCI. I can guide him how the questions are asked and the way they should be replied. I can also conduct classes for Cricket umpiring and scoring anywhere. I look forward to educate and promote local umpires in the days to come. I would help them to get through BCCI Level 1 exam.

I have been a state panel cricket umpire and doing umpiring for last 40 years and also a BCCI official national scorer since 2004, having done many International ODIs played at Baroda and many first class matches in Baroda. I have passed many state panel exams in both categories.

I was serving with State Bank of India, as an Officer, posted at Bodeli branch, some 65 Kmts from Baroda, having taken promotion in August 2012. I was thereafter transferred to Pavi Jepur Br, some 90 kmts from Baroda on 20/12/2013. Recently I have taken VRS from Bank as after becoming an officer I was facing lot of problems regarding leave to attend BCCI matches as a scorer and also Local umpiring and thus hampering my sporting activities. Now to enable me to spare more time for my passion, I have opted for VRS and was relieved on 30/01/2016 and now will look forward to enjoy my passion in the remaining years.Look forward to remain busy with cricketing activities for next one decade and more.Look forward to help my cricket colleagues. Look forward to give off my best services to my passion, which has taught me many more things and now I feel I must contribute towards the local cricket association, i.e. Baroda Cricket Association with all love and enthusiasm in the coming years.I feel proud to take VRS for the sake of my passion. Its a great feeling that I have taken a bold decision in the wake of my passion which has given me enjoyment and physical fitness to enjoy the game of cricket in the the days to come. Now I feel myself as a free bird and no tension. Look forward to help budding umpires.

Earlier I used to write in local newspaper but thereafter time has not permitted me to do so. I give my views over the controversial topic.

I am a degree holder of Commerce and having a reputed banking job in Baroda. Recently due to some personal problems and to fulfil my love and passion for the game of cricket I have opted volunteer retirement from the Bank service to enable me to do BCCI matches as an Official scorer in first class matches. Taking promotion in Bank and expecting leave for the matches was a major problem and that is one of the reasons to quit bank ahead of cricket.

I have passed several examination of cricket umpiring at State levels. I passed Mumbai cricket Association as well as Baroda Cricket Associations state exams. I had also cleared national written test of BCCI, but unfortunately sheer bad luck in viva and practical. I have also stood first in the Scorers' state level examinations at Saurashtra, exam conducted by Saurashtra Cricket Association and also stood first in Mumbai Cricket Association's Scorers' exam. I further cleared the BCCI national exam in the year 1994 held at Ahmedabad. In all I have officiated as an Umpire in more than 3500 matches, including T20, ODI, 3-4-5/days matches, 6-aside, double wicket tournaments, single wicket tournaments, and many more festival events and charity matches. I have also officiated as an official scorer in many first class cricket matches as well as almost all ODI matches played at the IPCL/ Reliance Cricket ground in Baroda. In all I have officiated as an official scorer in not less than 300 matches. I have been appointed a Sports Secretary of SBI in Baroda (2010 to 2012) I have been elected as one of the Umpires' committee of Baroda Cricket Association on 23.04.2012 Looking forward to take care of local umpires and will try to educate them. Recently I was privileged to conduct a 3-day cricket Umpires seminar on 7 to 9 September, 2012 along with Shri Sanjay Hazare, BCCI Elite panel cricket umpire. This was my first ever experience to conduct a seminar, which had almost 60 participants. I am thankful to the Baroda Cricket Association for giving me this opportunity. I have been honoured on many occasions with awards and certificates for my best umpiring. Recently on 13th February, 2014, I was invited as a Chief Guest by Amrut School in Halol, to celebrate the Annual Sports Day of their school.