Cricket/Retirment before Tea

Respected Sir,
One minute before the agreed time forTea & when over was in progress score was 206 for 8 wickets. One of the batsman wanted to retire without any reason. Whether Tea will be taken immegiately or it will be taken 30 minutes after the agreed time for tea if innings didn't end?

Law 15.8. Tea interval - 9 wickets down

If ... the 9th wicket falls within this 2 minutes ... the agreed time for tea, then, ... tea will not be taken until the end of the over that is in progress 30 minutes later ...

For the purposes of this section of Law, the retirement of a batsman is NOT to be considered equivalent to the fall of a wicket.

Colin Pearson

Cricket umpiring and scoring. I can answer questions on MCC Laws of Cricket but not ICC and other special regulations, which are frequently changing. I cannot answer questions on careers as a cricket umpiring. For details of courses, visit (anywhere that has advertised), (UK only)

I passed The Association of Cricket Umpires and Scorers Full membership examinations in 1961 and have been an instructor since 1973, and examiner since 1977 and have undergone the first stage training as an Umpire Assessor for ECB Association of Cricket Officials. I was Chairman of Training Board for ACU&S from 1981 to 1997.

ECB Association of Cricket Officials British Computer Society Society of Expert Witnesses Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Rotary International

MA Hons Cantab 1966 DMS Part 1, 1975 Enterprise Reader (rtd), Staffordshire University)

Taylor Scholarship 1963 Life Vice President ACU&S 1998