Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/National Academy of Sciences and the Death Penalty

Question
QUESTION: Does the 2012 report by the National Academy of Sciences change your mind about the deterrent effects of the Death Penalty(1)?

(1) http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=13363

ANSWER: Dahn:

Based upon your question, as well as your previous inquiries, I am not sure that you have

1) read the study, yourself or

2) Understood the study, if you have read it.

Your forwarding link only sent me to the News Release.

The full study is here:

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13363#toc

Have you read it?

I would like to start there, simply because you are such a negative person, who complains with little knowledge.

I suspect you haven't read the study or understood it, for if you had, you would not have made the inquiry that you did.

Your inquiries to me are only based upon negative attacks, instead of a search for knowledge and understanding.

Have you matured since your last inquiries? I hope so.

--------------------------

As you appear not to know, the NAS study does not undercut the reality of death penalty deterrence, but it is only critical of a few of the 28 studies finding for deterrence.

No one is saying that deterrence doesn't exist. They can't.

We all know that every prospect of a negative outcome deters some. It is a truism.

The question is not  "Does the death penalty deter?" - Of course it does, just as all sanctions do.

The relevant question is - "How much does the death penalty deter?"  - a question that will never be answered to anyone's satisfaction or agreeement.

Even based upon the recent 28 studies finding for deterrence, which found from 1-28 innocent lives saved per execution, not even those can agree on the numbers.

--------------------------------

If you have read the NAS paper and tried to understand it, I will respond.  Have you?

QUESTION: Mr. Sharp,

I did read the NAS report and it does make me temper my opinion. I know that research on the brutalization effect, for example, is limited. I thank you because you have made me work to find out more about Death Penalty research and the limitations of econometric research methods.   

From what I gather, the report says that it cannot be determined at this point that the Death Penalty deters any future net murders, especially when a life without sentence may be imposed. It also discusses the "fundamental" flaws in the research that you often quote. The committee members include the late James Q. Wilson, who I would identify as a conservative scholar.  

Just because you call the deterrence  effect "a truism" does not make it true in perpetuity as conditions change. For example, I didn't see any mention of lethal injection as a deterrent (as Zimmerman's study discusses), which would further complicate the argument, given that lethal injection has become the mode of almost all US executions.   

From the report:

"Fundamental flaws in the research we reviewed make it of no use in answering the question of whether the death penalty affects homicide rates," said Daniel S. Nagin, Teresa and H. John Heinz III University Professor of Public Policy and Statistics at Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, and chair of the committee that wrote the report. "We recognize that this conclusion may be controversial to some, but no one is well-served by unsupportable claims about the effect of the death penalty, regardless of whether the claim is that the death penalty deters homicides, has no effect on homicide rates or actually increases homicides."

The key question, the report says, is whether capital punishment is less or more effective as a deterrent than alternative punishments, such as a life sentence without the possibility of parole.  Yet none of the research that has been done accounted for the possible effect of noncapital punishments on homicide rates.

The committee also found that studies made implausible or unsupported assumptions about potential murderers' perceptions of and response to capital punishment.  Many studies did not address how perceptions are formed and simply inferred that potential murderers respond to the objective risk of execution. This inference ignores the fact that determining the objective risk poses great complexities even for a well-informed researcher, let alone a potential murderer.  For instance, only 15 percent of people who have been sentenced to death since 1976 have actually been executed, and a large fraction of death sentences are reversed.  Furthermore, estimates of the deterrent effect of the death penalty were based on unfounded assumptions, for example, that the effect of capital punishment is the same across all the states and over time.  There is no evidence to support such suppositions.

These intrinsic shortcomings severely limit what can be learned from the existing research, the report says.  The committee recommended next steps for research that include collecting data that consider both capital and noncapital punishments for murder, conducting studies on how potential murderers perceive a range of punishments in homicide cases, and using statistical methods based on more credible assumptions about the effect of capital punishment on homicide rates.

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=13363

Answer
I just found this follow up.

I am not sure you understood the NAS review (hereinafter Nagin et al as "Nagin").

It's been a while since I've read it, . . .

The Nagin review did mention Shepherd's brutalization study, but failed to mention that the study further enhanced the findings for a deterrent effect, which seemed a glaring omission by Nagin, given the subject of the Nagin review.

No, Dahn, what the Nagin review found was that, in their opinion, which is contradicted by the opinions of the authors of those studies, was that Nagin couldn't determine if there was or was not deterrence based upon those studies.

The deterrent effect is always true in perpetuity because all prospects of a negative outcome deter some. It is a truism, forever.

Your confusion is that we are not speaking of that truism. We are speaking about specific studies and whether the Nagin review is more credible that the original studies which Nagin reviewed.

If a study does not find for deterrence or is undecided, that does not have any influence on whether or not it is a truism that all prospects of a negative outcome deter some. That truism remains, in perpetuity.

Zimmerman's study is one of 27 studies since 2000 finding for deterrence. Zimmerman's one study does not do away with the other 27 studies which found for deterrence via lethal injection. Had you read the studies you would know that they are, in total, very broad in their findings and no two of them, exactly, agree with one another.

I suspect that Zimmerman would tell you that his one study does not negate the findings of the other 27 studies. Ask him. Also ask him if incentives, either positive or negative, will always effect behavior.

On that point, his answer will be yes, because it is a truism, in perpetuity. I think Nagin would answer yes, as well. Ask him.

It is of interest that Nagin wrote: "Fundamental flaws in the research we reviewed make it of no use in answering the question of whether the death penalty affects homicide rates,".

He is speaking of the specific research, that he finds flawed, a finding, it appears, not shared by those he is critical of, who, I suspect, still stand by their own research, as I have seen no agreement from them with Nagin.

"Nagin's "homicide rate" point may be confusion or semantics. Homicide and other crime rates could all stay the same, every year, but there still would be a deterrent effect. Let's say that 1000 murders and other crimes were deterred each year by sanctions, but that there were also a thousand more murders and other crimes. Deterrence would still exist but murder and crime rates would be the same.

Whether crime/murder rates are high or low, whether rising, falling or staying the same, some criminals/potential criminals are deterred by sanctions.

Nagin does not and cannot say that the death penalty does not deter. Nagin only says that he finds the research, in the subject studies, to be flawed to the point Nagin finds them unreliable to make any determination, whether to deterrence or non deterrence.

I am unaware that the Nagin review has effected the confidence in their studies of any of the authors of the studies which Nagin reviewed.

Dahn, you wrote, "none of the research that has been done accounted for the possible effect of noncapital punishments on homicide rates."

I think you took that or paraphrased it from the Nagin review.

It is odd, because the only way that any of the other researchers could determine the deterrence effect of the death penalty was by having other sanctions as either a constant or a variable within their studies, so as to measure the effect of the death penalty. That is what they did. I am not sure how you or Nagin could have missed that obvious issue.

Dahn writes: "The committee also found that studies made implausible or unsupported assumptions about potential murderers' perceptions of and response to capital punishment. Many studies did not address how perceptions are formed and simply inferred that potential murderers respond to the objective risk of execution. This inference ignores the fact that determining the objective risk poses great complexities even for a well-informed researcher, let alone a potential murderer."

It is obvious where their perceived risk comes from, it comes from what I call the marketplace - the same locations as for all of us - the media, when we learn of death penalty laws, death sentences and executions and/or from conversations or study. The perceived risk is individual and will be higher or lower for all individuals, as with all things in life and for all people. That you or Nagin are unaware of that is, simply, more than a bit odd.

One of the glaring perceptions of the Nagin review is this:

The Chair of this study is Daniel Nagin, the Teresa and H. John Heinz III University Professor of Public Policy and Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University, since January, 2006 (2)
'

Nagin's income is financed by a liberal anti death penalty foundation (3).

The conflict of interest could not be more obvious or severe.

Two of the three funding groups for this study are:

Tides Foundation and the Proteus Action League, with Tides getting major funding from Heinz (4).

Both are huge grant providers for the anti death penalty movement (4).

It think it impossible for those financing groups to have been involved if they thought there was any chance of the study concurring with a deterrent effect.

I am astounded that NAS would allow this under their banner.

Why were these obvious conflicts not disclosed? Why were they allowed, at all?

I am unaware if any of the 28 studies finding for deterrence, or their authors, were funded by pro death penalty groups.

======

1) http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=13363&page=R1

2) www.heinz.cmu.edu/bio/faculty/dn03.html

3) http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/funderprofile.asp?fndid=5309

4) a) http://www.atlanticphilanthropies.org/grantee/proteus-action-league
b) http://www.tides.org/utility/search/?cx=003949354664956518032%3A9pat6u0jfgw&cof=

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Dudley Sharp