Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Braces

I was thinking about braces randomly and I wondered if an incoming inmate that has metal dental braces would they be allowed to keep them once they are taken into custody. If not, would the state provide the necessary provisions to have them removed and cover expenses or would the inmate pay out of pocket? Are there "prison dentists"? I'd think that braces, with all its metal parts and wire could be fashioned into a fairly dangerous weapon. And had they been allowed to keep them or even allowed the plastic braces as a substitute, would the state allow/provide the regular orthodontic appoints necessary for dental braces to serve their purpose? If the answer varies by state, just tell me whichever one you know best.

Thanks in advance.

I can find nothing in ADC policy covering this issue, but I know someone who works in the intake center.  I have emailed them, and should have an answer soon.  Interesting question!

The inmate is evaluated for medical necessity.  Cosmetic reasons are not valid.  Next, it depends on the type of material used, first, it can't set off metal detectors.  next, if any pieces are large enough to be removed and used as a weapon, they're gone.  Supervisors, such as sergeants and lieutenants make the initial decisions, which are later backed up, or not, by medical.  If the braces need to be removed, the inmate is taken to a private contractor to have them removed.  I hope this help.

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Jim Klein

I can answer questions regarding prison issues, including use of force, classification, security, health service, foodservice, disciplinary issues, and custody levels. I can also answer questions regarding methods of execution, specifically lethal gas and lethal injection, and can address some court decisions regarding both. I am also an FBI certified Negotiator, and have experience in prison hostage situations, and was a tactical team member for almost 12 years.

I worked for the Arizona Department of Corrections for over 20 years, then for a private prison for a year after my retirement from the the state. I was on the tactical team for almost 12 years, a member of the Special Operations (executions) team for nine years. I worked every custody level , and held every security rank from Correctional Officer to Major. I was Chief of Security of three different custody levels, and two different prison complexes. I am heavily certified in training, including use of force, firearms training, Crisis Avoidance, Inmate Managenet, and many others. I retired as a Deputy Warden in 2005.

None now Past: American Correctional Association American Tactical Officers Association

I have 78 credits towards a BSBM with the Univerity of Phoenix Online.

Meritorious Service Award Supervisor of the Month

Maricopa County Attorney's Office