Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Am I The 'Squarest' Person Around?

Question
Hi Mr. Alas,

This may seem like a bizarre and frivolous question, but from you extensive law enforcement perspective, am I the 'squarest' 'young' person around?

I'm 38 and have never broken any laws, except when I was about 8 I stole a jawbreaker from a corner store and was terrified and remorseful afterwards.  I wasn't caught.  I also received one 'no right turn' ticket because I was turning about 5 minutes before it was legal, and one speeding ticket for 10km/h over the limit in my 22 years of driving.  

I did deserve the speeding ticket because I was in a hurry and thought I was only doing 10km/h over the limit, but didn't realize that for a short stretch, the limit was reduced, so I was really doing 20km/h over, but the kind policeman reduced the ticket so I wouldn't lose points and my insurance rate wouldn't go up unless I get another ticket in 3 years (which I don't plan to do).

I drink no alcohol now (in the past I might have had 5-8 drinks per year on special occasions like Christmas), and have never used any illegal drug.  I've never even been tempted to 'experiment' with illegal drugs.  I only take my prescription medication as prescribed.  In high school, I was even completely unaware of any availability of illegal drugs, although there must have been some stuff available since half the school were Deadheads.  I never even drank a drop in high school.

I love watching shows like Cops, To Serve & Protect (the Canadian version of Cops), Alaska State Troopers, To Catch A Smuggler, and a similar show about Canadian Immigration & Customs officers, called Border Security: Canada's Frontline, although I do watch different types of programs as well.  I'm sure you can guess that I'm rooting for law enforcement...

I even wanted to be a police constable, but my incredibly poor eyesight was one reason I never explored that avenue; others being dealing with unpleasant people all the time, risking my life, and all the sad situations you would run into.

Sincerely,

Jenn.

Answer
Hi Jenn,
Don't feel odd or anything, I was and am pretty much the same way. Never been much of a drinker, never tried any illegal drugs, all-in-all a straight laced. I was pretty much a mellow person, to the point that when I decided to join the Air Force out of high school my dad and brother, that was a police officer already, made bets that I wouldn't make it through boot camp, but I proved them wrong. LOL
But these aren't character flaws, some people feel the need to be out of control. I am an A Type personality and cannot handle not being in control. So don't feel awkward or odd you are in good company with many folks.
Have a great weekend,
Lou

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Luis Alas