Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/What happens when a European mother takes her US born children back to Europe in violation of a US court order?

QUESTION: What happens when a European mother takes her US born children back to Europe in violation of a US court order? What should the American father do? The European mother has violated a US court order. A foreign court has handed down an order that contradicts the US order. The Supreme Court of the other country has ruled that his children cannot leave their country before there 18 birthdays. The Supreme Court of the other country are ruled that the American father can only see his children in person, (but he can not tough his children), under direct supervision of local law enforcement (to make sure he does not harm his children) and diplomats that work for the US State Department. Law enforcement in Europe is afraid that the American father, will harm/hurt his children. The FBI already has been notified, and the FBI knows the location of the children. The FBI cannot help the American father violate the laws of the other country. The children are afraid to see their American father, but are not afraid see Diplomats that work for the US State Department, FBI agents and even the US attorney.

ANSWER: This is a very difficult issue, and one that is quite common. Unfortunately there are few recourse for parents put in these situations. Again due to each countries sovereignty, the only thing the US can do is put a warrant out for parental child abduction, list the issue with Interpol so in case the other parent travels to a country that recognizes this crime, then the country will detain the abducting parent and extradite to the US and hopefully return the child to the parent that had been awarded custody, or if the abducting parent ever attempts to return to the US they will also be detained.
I hope this helps.

QUESTION: Would FBI agents in stationed in Europe, comply with local law, and try to prevent the American father from harming his children? The father can make arrangement with the US State Department to see his children in Europe because the mother is very comparative. The mother expects FBI agents stationed in Europe and or US Diplomats in Europe to supervise those visitations in order to make sure that the American father will not hurt/harm his children and complies with local law.

Federal Officers of the United States, must respect the laws of the host country and not interfere with local law enforcement issues. The FBI agent in the country would not likely be allowed to come in contact with the child or have any interaction with them unless the law enforcement agency in the host country authorized it.

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Luis Alas

I am a retired Federal Law Enforcement Officer with 20 years in a combination of military security, police investigations and criminal investigations. I worked with several agencies through my tenure but my last five years were with the Federal Air Marshal Service. Currently I am a VP of a electronics security manufacturer providing leadership and client consulting specifically in the area of video surveillance.

1988-1996 USAF Security Specialist Nuclear Security and Security Police Investigations 1996-2001 Department of Veteran Affairs Police Department Miami Fl. 2001-2008 Federal Air Marshal Service

FLEOA Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association Security Police Association

Demand Studios - E-How Online Associated Content Security Distributors Magazine Various White Papers

USAF Security Police Academy USDVA Police Academy DHS Security Specialist/General Investigator AA Criminal Justice City Colleges of Chicago BA Criminal Justice University of Maryland MA Criminal Justice Management Trinity University & College

Bryant Security Departamento Nacional de Investigaciones (Domincan Republic) LSG Government Contractor