Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Speeding Ticket/ Can't Pay


I have arraignment for a speeding ticket I'm trying to keep off my record, as I don't believe I should have gotten it in the first place, since I was trying to get away from somebody following me, who has already been told not to, yet am not willing to take a bigger chance.  It was agreed that I would pay 200.00 to keep it off my record in May.  Here is the glitch:  I don't have the money, and won't until pay period, and arraignment is before.  What should I do?  The city attorney told me to try to save, but come to arraignment even if I can't pay.  Could I lose my license if I don't pay at arraignment?  Should I explain that my medication eats up all of my money each month to the city prosecutor?


First, make sure the state's attorney assures you that the charge will be expunged/removed from your official record should you pay the fine. There will most probably be some period of time you will have to go without getting another ticket...probably a 12-month period. In some jurisdictions it is called a 'Suspended Imposition of Sentence.'

Secondly, ask the state prosecutor if you can pay the fine in installments. He/she will most likely agree since the judge would probably agree to it anyway. You can ask for a payment date 'To be no later than such and such date.'

The MPM Group, Inc.

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Kevin M. Tamez


An adjudicated expert in most, if not all, federal/state criminal investigations. Also an adjudicated and CJA approved expert in federal post-conviction advocacy, sentencing mitigation and the federal prison system.


27-years in both state and federal law enforcement.

Bachelor of Arts Degree and Graduate Studies at George Washington University. Graduate of the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy as well as both the Basic and Advanced Special Agent Courses at Quantico, VA.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]