Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Curiosity about my friend

Hey how are you? I'll try and make this short. Approximately 2 yrs ago a friend of mine was arrested for having a legal & licensed firearm in the state of New York. He was initially charge with a class C Felony I believe then was reduced to just a small fine, In which he pled guilty to and payed the fine. My friend in his mid 20's has never been in trouble before this incident and doesn't plan to after. He actually is on his last year of college graduating with a BA in criminology, and now my question on his behalf would this one time incident pose a problem with applying to local law enforcement such as the NYPD? And or would it pose a problem with a federal job such as FBI??

There is no "yes" or "no" answer to your question.  Every police department and federal agency has different rules and different hiring standards.  This incident would be weighed against the totality of whatever else he has done in life.

The best that I can do for you is to tell you that the incident won't help you but it may not hurt you.

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Jack Toomey

If you are an author asking for help I will gladly assist. I do expect a reasonable donation using the Paypal icon. Please do NOT ask questions about potential jail sentences that you or your friends may receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer or a parole officer so questions about those subjects will be rejected. I am a police officer with 26 years experience. Can answer questions about crime, police procedure, investigations, criminal law, search and seizure, traffic offenses. Prefer not to answer questions on the death penalty. Please do not ask homework questions. Remember this. The law in every state is different so questions about laws that are specific to your state could be difficult to answer. I also cannot give you legal advice on what to do or not to do in court. I have worked with authors in the past and will be happy to review scenarios or plots with authors to check for believability or accuracy.

Police officer with 26 years experience. Ten years in patrol and sixteen years in the detective bureau investigating every type of crime including murder, rape, robbery, theft, fraud, missing persons, etc, etc. Also taught at the police academy in areas such as constitutional law, search and seizure, and lineups.

B.S. in Criminology from the University of Maryland.