Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Death penalty for the insane

Question
QUESTION: Dear Mr. Sharp,

I'm an unpublished writer and I'm working on a fictional piece. I'm doing a bit of research about a politician with extreme views. Some of my reading included a mentally-ill man, Kelsey Patterson who was eventually executed for murder.
http://www.executedtoday.com/2008/05/18/case-study-kelsey-patterson/

> What would it take for the government to more readily sanction the execution of the criminally insane in our day and age?

> Is there a push right now in government or a political group for this action?

I appreciate your time during your busy schedule. Thank you.

Sincerely,

David

ANSWER: David:

1) The case description you linked only presents the defense side of the case, which is much weaker than the prosecution side. That becomes apparent when  you find that Patterson was executed. For a balanced review of the case I recommend that you read the appellate decisions, which weigh both sides and concluded that be should be executed.

2) In our day and age in the US, the provably inseane will never be executed. Law requires that defendants are able to, construtively, participate in their own defense, be aware of right and wrong, be aware of the criminal process and the nature of both their crime and sanction.

By law, the insane are not able to do all of those and can, therefore, not be executed. That will never change.

I am unaware of any push to execute the insane, nor would I anticipate that any such effort would be made or would be successful.

Often, some confuse and run together the various debates about the insame, the mentall retarded and the mentally ill.

QUESTION: Thank you, Mr. Sharp for your speedy reply.

I'm not a lawyer. I'm interested specifically in the criminally insane, e.g. Charles Manson. I was aware that Patterson was executed.

I have found notes of cases, where the criminally insane have been executed-- mostly in Texas:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/death-penalty-cases-mental-illness-c

> Is this a trend or an anomaly?

> And what is the difference between the criminally insane and the mentally ill?

> Isn't it legally, even socially plausible that a very fatigued society can push for capital punishment for the criminally insane?

I did take into consideration your time, and I condensed my questions. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

David

Answer
David:

As I ended my last response:

"Often, some confuse and run together the various debates about the insame, the mentally retarded and the mentally ill."

You seem to be doing that with your link to the Mother Jones article.

As I previously stated, you must go to primary sources, mainly the appellate court record.

Mother Jones as an unquestioned anti death penalty source and none of the case reviews told you the facts from the cases, as presented by both sides within the appellate record.

You will not know if there is a trend or an anomoly, until you first know the reality of the cases, none of which you, now, know, if those are your only sources.

Criminally insane is an extreme case of mental illness. There are many mental illnesses, in type and/or severity, that would allow a murderer to be held legally liable (including execution) for their crimes and other mental illnesses, in type and/or severity which would not allow for a criminal prosecution, with any type of sanction.

Under no circumstances can I, reasonably, imagine that the criminally insane could be executed for their crimes in the US.  

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Dudley Sharp