Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Internal Affairs Investigation Report Format....

Hello!  Thanks for being an expert to answer my question!

I am a police officer in North Carolina.  I am taking an online Law Enforcement Leadership Course from an online college and our current assignment is to write an internal affairs report.  We were given a set of facts and circumstances and we have to write the official report.  

My question is: What is the format used to write the report.  I tried to find sample reports online, but can't seem to locate anything but generic stuff.  How should I format my report, as an internal affairs investigator would.

Thank you!

There is no standard format but typically it would consist of three parts. An executive summary, the investigation and conclusion/findings.

The executive summary would be 1-2 pages in length. This is for the Chief/staff to review in order to give them a quick synopsis of the investigation. By reading this anyone would know what the investigation was about and the findings. Then if need be the Chief could read the entire investigation. Typically, even though most won't admit it, the Chief only reads the Executive Summary.

The investigation portion would be like any other investigative report and the conclusion would again be a summary of relevant facts, policy violations and findings. It is similar to the executive summary but may be longer and contain more specific information.

Finally the last section would be any exhibits, transcribed statements, etc. Hope this helps.

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Philip Sweeting

Can answer questions concerning police procedures and accepted police practices, specifically : arrest, use of force, internal affairs, recruitment and hiring, constitutional rights and accreditation.

Have over 26 years of Law Enforcement experience eight of which have been as Deputy Chief of Police. Have worked for the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, CALEA, as a team leader, evaluating police agencies throughout the U.S. and Canada. Have a BS degree in Political Science, a graduate of Northwestern University's School of Police Staff and Command, and the Senior Management Institute for Police conducted by the Police Executive Research Forum, PERF. Have consulted and testified for both plaintiff and defense attorneys as an expert witness. WEB: