Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Internal Affairs Investigative Report format.....

Hello!  Thanks for being an expert to answer my question!

I am a police officer in North Carolina.  I am taking an online Law Enforcement Leadership Course from an online college and our current assignment is to write an internal affairs report.  We were given a set of facts and circumstances and we have to write the official report.  

My question is: What is the format used to write the report.  I tried to find sample reports online, but can't seem to locate anything but generic stuff.  How should I format my report, as an internal affairs investigator would.

Thank you!

There is no standard way to write an internal affairs report.  Your department might do it one way while the county next to yours might do it another way.

Generally though I would suggest you write it just like an investigative report in police work.

Name of person complaining.

Name of the officer who is under investigation.

A synopsis about what he/she is complaining about.

A full investigative report of the incident/allegation.

Finding.  Sustained/not sustained/unfounded or whatever language your department uses.

Wouldn't your own department let you look at an old report as long as the names were hidden?  O

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Jack Toomey

If you are an author asking for help I will gladly assist. I do expect a reasonable donation using the Paypal icon. Please do NOT ask questions about potential jail sentences that you or your friends may receive in court. There is no way for me to know that. I am NOT a probation officer or a parole officer so questions about those subjects will be rejected. I am a police officer with 26 years experience. Can answer questions about crime, police procedure, investigations, criminal law, search and seizure, traffic offenses. Prefer not to answer questions on the death penalty. Please do not ask homework questions. Remember this. The law in every state is different so questions about laws that are specific to your state could be difficult to answer. I also cannot give you legal advice on what to do or not to do in court. I have worked with authors in the past and will be happy to review scenarios or plots with authors to check for believability or accuracy.

Police officer with 26 years experience. Ten years in patrol and sixteen years in the detective bureau investigating every type of crime including murder, rape, robbery, theft, fraud, missing persons, etc, etc. Also taught at the police academy in areas such as constitutional law, search and seizure, and lineups.

B.S. in Criminology from the University of Maryland.