Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/need to work in order to pay fines and jail fees

I am currently spending weekends in jail. I have served 22 days and only have 8 more to go. I have never been late or missed any days. I work construction so the summer months are busy and I am able to make up for time lost during the winter.  My boss is overwhelmed at this time and I could really use the hours to make some money in order to pay my fines and jail fees. I have heard of people in similar situations writing the judge asking for him to grant time served or waive the remaining days. I could really use some advise on how to address this matter. I have not been able to make any payments to the courts. I have a family to support and I'm struggling to make ends meet not being able to pick up the extra hours.  what are my options? how do i go about writing a letter in a professional manner?

Dear Ms. Trista,

I sincerely apologize for not promptly answering your question as the All Experts question somehow ended up in my spam folder. It rarely happens, but I would not have even known I was asked a question if All Experts did not recently email me a follow-up email. Once again, I apologize for my mistake and provided below is my answer.

Always remember when dealing with any American court, they always take priority over all other responsibilities. I do not know if you have been assigned to probation or probation officer, but calling and speaking with your local probation department is a good first step. Do you have a public defender that handled your case? A public defender is an attorney that is assigned to court cases to people who cannot afford counsel.

If you do not have a probation officer, public defender or attorney, I would highly recommend you call the court and tell them the truth about why you cannot afford the payments. Most court systems will amend money owed by lowering the set payment agreement. As for having the court waive your remaining days, it is rare that the court will amend the agreed upon schedule. From the court's standpoint, they likely see you only having to do weekends is far better than if you were incarcerated. I would be very careful about seeking this amendment unless you have a representing attorney or a supportive probation officer.

Good luck and please do not put off contacting your court system. The longer you go without contacting them to explain your situation, the higher the probability becomes that they will find you in contempt. Be strong and assertive.

Dr. Nuccitelli  

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli

criminal profiling, cyber bullying, cyber stalking, cybercrime, cyber terrorism, online sexual predators, child predators, Internet safety, psychopathology, criminal & forensic psychology and cyber psychology.

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli is a New York State licensed psychologist and certified forensic consultant. He completed his doctoral degree in clinical psychology in 1994 from the Adler School of Professional Psychology in Chicago, Illinois. In 1997, Dr. Nuccitelli became a licensed psychologist in New York State (License # 013009.) In 2006, he received the Certified Forensic Consultant designation from the American College of Forensic Examiners (Identification # 103110.) Dr. Nuccitelli has developed a theoretical construct, iPredator, which encapsulates all online users who use Information and Communications Technology to abuse, harm, steal from or disparage other online users. His theory of iPredator is recognized by the American College of Forensic Examiners International. Prior to launching iPredator Inc., Dr. Nuccitelli worked in his community as a Forensic Psychologist working with the court system, law enforcement and attorneys.

American College of Forensic Examiners International.

The Forensic Examiner

Dr. Nuccitelli is a New York State Licensed Psychologist and certified forensic consultant designated by the American College of Forensic Examiners International.