Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/research question

Question
I'm working through revisions on a novel and I have a question - it's crime related, ironically this portion of the book is set in Alabama so Alabama state laws would be in effect. Here's my scenario.

Live-in boyfriend/girlfriend situation. The man gets drunk and gets into a big fight with the girlfriend. She gets in her car to try and leave but he ends up taking a baseball bat to the car and does a lot of damage. She was okay, not harmed.

What's the crime? And could he do prison for the crime? I need a situation where the guy is getting out of prison and turning his life around (ie. quitting drinking.)

Thanks for your insight and I look forward to your response.

Answer
Yes, currently laws in Alabama for that type of situation would fall under Domestic violence. If you kick, push, shove, harass, annoy, alarm or subject a person to physical contact that is harassment. If that person is a current or former dating or engagement relationship, current or former household member or current or former spouse it falls under Domestic Violence.  

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Chris Cantrell