Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/TV vs Real Life

I've got a question about a popular episode of "Gilligan's Island" where an inmate is raising pigeons on the roof of the prison where he's being held and sending messages via carrier pigeon. Is this remotely possible? Do prisoners really get extreme favors like this to this such of extent?

Yes, that was a great episode.  It aired on April 03, 1967 in Season 3, Episode 28. and was entitled "The Pigeon."  

The short answer is yes.  Many prisoners receive special privileges like that.  In fact, the prisoner in that episode was inspired by the real life "Birdman of Alcatraz," Robert Stroud, who "During his time at Leavenworth Penitentiary he reared and sold birds and became a respected ornithologist, but despite his nickname, he was not permitted to keep his birds at Alcatraz, where he was incarcerated from 1942."

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to or related to the broad field of criminal justice.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.