Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty/Age law

Question
QUESTION: Hi there my name is Cody and I have a very very close friend who is a female that's having severe trouble with family issues and been going through a lot of trouble right now just being happy in life. Today we had a long talk about it and she wants to run away from home for a few days and I did not know if there would be legal issues. She is 17 and I am 23, her mom knows of me and knows the kind of guy I am however I am concerned about any trouble I could perhaps get into (I'm a resident of Texas) but me and her believe we are falling in love. I hope you can help ease my decision on letting her somewhat "run away" to my house or not. I feel as if it's really best she leaves for a while after what she goes through (nothing abusive or anything) but a feeling of being unwanted by her mom and dad. Thank you very much!

ANSWER: Dear Cody,

Thank you for writing and this answer will respectfully be short and straight to the point. My advice is unfortunately No, No, and double No. I understand 1000% your situation, but there is no way to know how adults, other then her mother, will act if you run away with her. There is no way to know how other adults may respond and 17 years old is still a minor. The only way she could "run away" to your house for awhile is if her mother was informed and approved and a loved one from your family knew. If she is having severe trouble with family issues, there is no way to know how her family will react. It's silly given the 2 of you are close in age and she's almost 18, but there's no way to know how an angry uncle, brother, step parent or other adults will respond. I wish I could tell you to "go for it", but these days it's a potentially explosive situation for you. Even though it seems like the best thing to do for the woman you love who is distressed and needing a break from her toxic family life is to take her away, but you cannot predict how local authorities, school officials or her extended family members will respond. My advice is take care of her, be there every minute of the day for her and see if she can stay with a girlfriend or other family until the family problems can be worked out. Good luck and don't let your love for her inspire you to make a decision that could potentially get you arrested if there are angry or distressed family members.

Respectfully,
Dr. Nuccitelli
www.ipredator.net   

QUESTION: Can you summarize this better for me Dr? I would really appreciate it https://www.oag.state.tx.us/opinions/opinions/50abbott/op/2003/htm/ga0125.htm

If me and her report to her mom or dad our location and whereabouts I would be ok from what I understand correct?

Answer
Dear Cody, To summarize a judicial opinion in a paragraph or two from 2003 and feelig it would be accurate, not knowing all the details, would be a diservice to you and make me an asshole thinking that it would be enough. You're welcome to call me for a phone consult at no charge, 347-871-2416, because it would be unethical for me to think I can as you write "summarize this for me". My friend, the probability of something bad happening by "running away with her for a couple days to your house" is low.

However, just as the judicial opinion attempted to present, it's all about the foggy world of "consent" and whether a healthy 17 year old who is not floridly psychotic or drug addicted should even have to have consent. I've read about and consulted with attorneys who were defending good young men who were being accused of being sexual offenders and pedophiles because their girlfriends were 15-17 and they were 18-30.

To me, her being 17 and you being 23 does not even sound close to being a crime to me. But I'm not a 60+ year old Texan judge who attends church every Sunday and thinks pre-marital sex is a mortal sin. Sorry I can't sugar coat the calculated risk you'd be taking. Again, as you wrote in your 1st question, the whole reason your lady is wanting to temporarily leave is due to family issues. Not knowing what those family issues are, I'm advising you with the understanding I cannot assess if the adults who have the power to use the "consent" issue against you would have their heads screwed on straight. Be careful my friend and ya can always call.

Dr. Nuccitelli  

Crime & Law Enforcement Issues & Death Penalty

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli