Criminal Law/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Gag Hearing2/27/2017Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: If you seen your PO and she and you signed a Gag hearing 1 waiver , can she still lock you up like ...
  A: David, Short answer is yes. A Gag 1 hearing is convened to see if a violation occurred. A Gag 2 ...
Penal code 3454(c)2/25/2017Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: I looked up an inmate at the county jail and it said 3454(c). I Googled it and got 2 answers; one ...
  A: California Penal Code 3454(c) sets forth the California Court's/Parole Office's ability to ...
When the FBI arrests a person for a federal12/14/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: When the FBI arrests a person for a federal criminal charge, does he go to the US federal bureau of ...
  A: You have asked multiple questions. If an individual is arrested by the FBI, he will not be housed by ...
When the FBI arrests a person for a federal criminal charge12/14/2016Jeffrey Hauck
  A: The FBI can work out a deal where the arrestee is held temporarily in a local or county jail until ...
Storage of old case files9/11/2016Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: Jeffrey -- Hello there! I understand this is a general question and will vary depending on the part ...
  A: Kitt, I will do my best to answer your questions: 1. The rules are different for each ...
unauthorized picture-taking8/10/2016Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: I live in a small town in Oregon. Today I was standing at my back door. The main door was open but ...
  A: Debee, Although the police may be right about the photography if it was the first incident, you ...
Police survalence7/31/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: Can local law enforcement place cameras in a home or on homeowners property without the homeowners ...
  A: Emily- The Reader's Digest version is NO. Neither state nor federal law enforcement can encroach on ...
FBI arrest procedures7/21/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: How long can the FBI hold an arrestee for having their day in court? What are the procedures? ...
  A: Cantraya: Federal arrest procedures (FBI, DEA, DHS, etc.) are set forth in the Federal Rules of ...
crime definition7/15/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: With your qualifications, this may seem petty! I need to know if this constitutes a crime, as the ...
  A: Debee- What you relate is quite possibly a violation of 2-3 separate issues. By calling a federal ...
Fugitive from Justice5/25/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: I have been granted an Order of Nondisclosure. This was filed as a Class B Misdemeanor, with the ...
  A: Tina- On its face, you should not sign this document if there is a charge as a "Fugitive from ...
neighbor harrassment5/17/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: I have a neighbor who has his daughter living with him upstairs now. (prior to her moving in things ...
  A: Sade- This is a common issue when apartment units/common space are in close proximity to each ...
If a person wins less4/15/2016Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: If a person wins less than $600.00 in gambling is the casino required to give the person W-2G when ...
  A: The answer is no. According to the IRS guidelines a person is required to report gambling winnings ...
Is this legal yes or no in the United States4/15/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: Casino chips are purchased using credit cards. The chips are then cashed out and instead of ...
  A: To our knowledge, U.S. Casinos do not permit gamblers to buy chips with a credit card. They require ...
Unclaimed Property Scam2/21/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: I received a letter from some sort of Unclaimed Property Search Company. It was odd that it was ...
  A: Emmaline- Your Subject Line pretty much sums up a majority of these "surprise" and unsolicited ...
Sexual Assault, False Confession2/12/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: my son admitted to sexual assault after hours of interigation, served time for said crime only to ...
  A: Terri, You message was a tad confusing. Are you saying the "victim" of the sexual assault has ...
Finding Correct Address Of Woman Who Rear Ended My Jeep With Her Car2/12/2016Jack Toomey
  Q: Toomey. I was stopped in city traffic when a woman struck the rear end of my Jeep on 12-02-2015, ...
  A: There are numerous websites that provide just what you are looking for. Some are free, some cost a ...
probation violation1/28/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: I get a Relative who is lock up in a city for Probation Volation for 9mo. not the city he lives in ...
  A: Rickey- Ordinarily, you simply petition the court (who placed him on probation) to move his ...
Burglary and grand theft1/22/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: What is the statue of limitations in CA?
  A: Peggie- A summary of the California Statute of Limitation rules for criminal cases is found at ...
Statute of limitation1/15/2016Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: Found out about warrants in other counties. One from 2011 and other for 2012. The one county I ...
  A: Deborah: Felony warrants are logged into the national NCIC data base. That data base is queried by ...
reducing or getting rid of life sentence12/8/2015Jack Toomey
  Q: My husband got out of prison 6/2013 but still has a life sentence over his head. He was sentenced ...
  A: Cyndee, I am not a parole officer and have very little contact with parole officers or people on ...
seizure11/24/2015Jack Toomey
  Q: Can a car in the husbands name if the wife was arressted on drug charges be seized by the police in ...
  A: It doesn't matter who owns or was driving the car if the car was used to transport drugs. Obviously ...
Aggravated Robbery11/10/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: Can my charge of aggravated robbery be dropped to petty theft if I was approached in the wrong ...
  A: Antonio, The simple answer is yes. Depending on the specifics of the arrest and what the Walmart ...
Court Records-11/4/2015Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: I had been living with my boyfriend (fiancee) for 2 years. We have broken up and I was planning on ...
  A: Diane, Yes, Cook County allows an open search of it's criminal and civil repository. My suggestion ...
Court Records.11/4/2015Jack Toomey
  A: Each state has its own court record site. You have to poke around to find them. They don't give ...
Different elements in same statute interpreted with different approaches10/29/2015Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: Hey Jeff, Greetings! Do long titles of statute indicate purpose of a statute? Are Defences in ...
  A: Bilal, Sorry for delay. Essentially the answer for each is yes. The statutory interpretation ...
how to ascertain which approach permissible....10/8/2015Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: Hey Jeff, Greetings! Whats up ? :). Welcome Back :) Jeff, How can we determine in particular ...
  A: Bilal, Thank you. In resolving ambiguity in the law the process of statutory interpretation is ...
Stalking and Harassment law9/30/2015Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: My biological mother keeps snooping and searching the internet for any possible trace of me. She ...
  A: Meghan, There is a lot of information you have left out but the first thing to do is to screen the ...
bench warrant8/30/2015Jeffrey Hauck
  Q: I had a misdemeanor in different state in the east coast, under a different name say Jane White. ...
  A: Yael, I don't see any issues with having your name changed back. As you suggest you will be moving ...
Police protection8/29/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: Tamez I have been reading a number of articles claiming that the Supreme Court has ruled that the ...
  A: Chris- We are familiar with the case law your are discussing and, like you, we had a problem ...
past criminal history8/16/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: Sir, I am a certified police officer in the state of Florida. When I was 19, I was convicted of 3 ...
  A: Gregory- Different police departments have differing standards so your problem could be caused for ...
Harassment of Disabled Teen7/13/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: A retired neighbor who knows that our teen has mental disabilities (PTSD & autistic spectrum), when ...
  A: Cait- I am assuming it's your neighbor who gets drunk and makes an ass out of himself and harasses ...
Female aggressor7/8/2015Jack Toomey
  Q: I got this female friend who slapped my butt once. I didn't like it so I told her it hurt. then 10 ...
  A: Michael, Technically you have been assaulted but in order to commit a crime the aggressor has to ...
search of a minor6/22/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: can a police officer search a minor without an adult present? And how can we verify why he stopped ...
  A: Gina- The Reader's Digest version is Yes; however, there are several factors to be considered. ...
sexual harrasment5/8/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: I live in a small town and was killing time at a business owned by a friend when a uniformed city ...
  A: Louis, Suffice to say that your story is "strange" to say the least. Based on your account, I am ...
Statue of limitations on hot checks in arkansas4/2/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: What's the statue of limitations in arkansas
  A: Austin- We will assume by "hot checks" you mean forged/stolen bank checks. As in most states, the ...
Restraining order3/31/2015Jack Toomey
  Q: My daughter lives in Texas. She has a 6 yr old child by a man she left about a year ago, due to ...
  A: Ed, Sorry for the delay. I never received a notification that your question was waiting. Your ...
employment3/25/2015Jack Toomey
  Q: Can you be employed in the state of north Carolina with a misdemeanor larceny charge? ANSWER: ...
  A: Amanda, Isn't that a question that you should be asking Phoenix Counseling? They would know their ...
violation probation3/24/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: If a person violates probation in one state and is arrested in another is there any way to petition ...
  A: LaLa- It would depend on the situation - your scenario is unclear. If the person violated probation ...
help2/4/2015Jack Toomey
  Q: my neighbor spread rumors about me and it effected my employemtne and I had to move her husband is ...
  A: Sharon, Your issue is civil in nature meaning that you would need an attorney to sue this person in ...
would my lawyer know of a warrant?1/31/2015Kevin M. Tamez
  Q: Mr.Tamez-- I have a 1st offense misdemeanor conviction. The case itself was really stressful. The ...
  A: Ian- The Reader's Digest version is YES, if you had any kind of outstanding warrant on you, your ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez

Top Expert on this page