Criminal Law/Expungment


I was charged with a misdemeanor federal crime almost six years ago. I was sentenced to a three year probabtion and to pay restitution. I have since completed both the restitution and the probationary period and received paperwork stating that fact. I am now wondering if I can get the case expunged since the requirements have been met and more than three years have passed? I am contemplating applying for a new job and am wondering if the case will appear on a background check.


Yes, you have met all of the requirements for an expungement.  Now you can petition the Federal Court in your jurisdiction to expunge your record.  There are no guarantees however.  The process is a courtesy and not a right.  With regard to your background I have had experiences where the arrest will still show on a background check.  You will need an attorney's help to petition the FBI to change the data in the NCIC Database.


Jeffrey Hauck, JD, CPO, CII, LPD
Licensed Private Detective  

Criminal Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeffrey Hauck


I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to or related to the field of criminal law.


Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.

©2017 All rights reserved.