Criminal Law/shoplifting

Question
My son was just arrested for shoplifting in N.C. at a retail
store. He apparently was viewed concealing the merchandise
and was arrested in the store. He had not left the premises.
Even though he apparently confessed to the officer is this
a lawful arrest? The arresting officer claims he has the right
to arrest him because he was viewed on camera. Any advise?
Is it possible to get this removed from his record? He is a college kid and has never been in trouble before.

Answer
John,

The short answer is yes.  Loss prevention officers can detain a customer for suspected shoplifting/retail-theft.  Alternatively a police officer can use the information provided by loss prevention to detain and make an arrest for retail theft.  You can petition the court to have the criminal record expunged.  A qualified attorney should be able to help you.  

Jeff

Jeffrey Hauck, JD, CPO, CII, LPD
Licensed Private Detective  

Criminal Law

Jeffrey Hauck