Criminal Law/lewd public comments against the law?

A female friend said she was jogging and some weird guy stopped her and made obscene comments (he told her he "would love to ----" her and said "I bet you have a nice ----") and then he walked away. She said she ran off and I said she should have reported him. She said she doubted it was against the law, but isn't it? At work it would be considered harrassment, but since it was in public and he walked away, I wonder. I would think it still is, but under what statue?

I agree that your friend should have called the police.  Although he probably did not commit a crime (at least in my state it would not have been a crime) there is no telling what he has been up to.  He could be a sex offender, wanted on a warrant, or just a name that the police would add to their weirdo file.

In my state if this happened it would not be against the law unless the guy did it every day for a month or follow the woman doing it all of the time.  He could stand on the street corner and make remarks about every cute girl that passed and its his right under the First Amendment.  But if he did at the top of his lungs where passersby would be disturbed then it would be disorderly conduct.

Keep in mind that every state has different laws and statutes.  There is a possibility that this COULD be against the law in YOUR state but I doubt it.

Criminal Law

Jack Toomey

If you are an author asking for help I will gladly assist you. I do expect a reasonable donation using the Paypal feature. Please do NOT ask questions about potential jail sentences that you or your friends may receive in court. court. There is no way for me to know that. Only a judge could answer a question like that. I am also NOT a probation officer or parole officer so I cannot answer questions that relate to parole or probation. Also please keep in mind that every state has different laws. If you are planning to ask a question about a specific law or criminal charge that pertains to your state only it could be difficult to answer. I also cannot give you legal advice on what to do or what not to do in court. Retired police officer with 26 years experience. Worked in the patrol division as well as over 14 years in the detective bureau. Investigated a wide range of crime such as murder, rape, robbery, theft, fraud, missing persons, and other very sensitive crimes. I am available to answer your questions about criminal law and especially as it applies to police work. I taught at the police academy for several years and am especially knowledgeable about search and seizure. Any question about criminal law is welcome! Please don't ask me to do your homework or ask me questions that obviously come from your teachers or professors. I also do not do online interviews or surveys. Young people need to gain face to face interviewing skills. Local police officers usually are very agreeable to assist in these assignments.

I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience. I investigated almost every type of crime including murder, rape, theft, missing persons, fraud, and domestic abuse. I am very knowledgeable about search and seizure and taught at the police academy for several years on a variety of subjects. I can answer questions that a lot of attorneys cannot since they do not have "street experience".

Bachelor of Science degree in Criminolgy from the University of Maryland.