Criminal Law/Arrest Warrent Rights

Question
An arrest warrant was issued for my failure to appear in court over a traffic ticket, a different city from the one I live in.  If I am home and my city's police officers knock on my door, am I legally obliged to open it? If I don't have to open it how long can they stand out there before they have to leave?

Answer
Alexis,

No you are not obligated to open your door.  They can knock for a reasonable time but then who will you call to complain to?  The police are not going to knock on your door over a traffic ticket.  They will wait for you to have contact with them again and they can address your warrant at that time.  In some jurisdictions the courts employ deputies, constables, etc. to knock on doors and to see if you can be physically hailed into court.  Maybe the best solution is to contact the Clerk of Court via telephone and see what kind of arrangements can be made to pay off the ticket.  Why be harangued for years worrying about it.  Just face it head on.  Just my $.02.  

Criminal Law

Jeffrey Hauck