Criminal Law/Drug charge

Question
So my boyfriend was arrested after a traffic stop. And was then charged with drug possions. And has been in a texas county jail since oct. 2 and has still not been indited or gone to court. So is there a a time limit for him. Cause April will make it 6 monthz.

Answer
Tiffany,

The answer is yes.  Under the "speedy trial" clause of the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution your boyfriend must be brought to trial within 180 days.  That time limit can be extended through motions filed by your boyfriend or the district attorney's office regarding his defense or prosecution.  If he goes beyond the 180 day window he can file a Writ of Habeas Corpus to bring him in front of a judge who will determine if he has been unlawfully held.  

Criminal Law

Jeffrey Hauck