Criminal Law/Drug charge


So my boyfriend was arrested after a traffic stop. And was then charged with drug possions. And has been in a texas county jail since oct. 2 and has still not been indited or gone to court. So is there a a time limit for him. Cause April will make it 6 monthz.


The answer is yes.  Under the "speedy trial" clause of the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution your boyfriend must be brought to trial within 180 days.  That time limit can be extended through motions filed by your boyfriend or the district attorney's office regarding his defense or prosecution.  If he goes beyond the 180 day window he can file a Writ of Habeas Corpus to bring him in front of a judge who will determine if he has been unlawfully held.  

Criminal Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeffrey Hauck


I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to or related to the field of criminal law.


Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.

©2017 All rights reserved.