Criminal Law/What to do


QUESTION: I use to live in a very bad area. The police were called numerous times on these two women that lived in the apartment below mine. They were called for domestic violence. The police would only verbal threaten them to stop. At 245 in the morning I went down to ask them to please stop. The woman started threatening me and had a metal broom in her hand. I was on the stairs leaving and she continued to advance towards me while threatening me.  I then maced her and ran to my car. The cops showed up.. took her story and mine. The woman lied on her police report and the cops said I did nothing wrong. Now the state of FL has summoned me to court for charges of battery on criminal level.

What Do I do?

ANSWER: Hannah,

If you are charged with a criminal offense you need an attorney.  There is no way that you can defend yourself against this charge by yourself.

Either retain an attorney or seek the services of the public defender if you qualify.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I have not been seen my a judge yet. Do I ask to get one after I am seen? I wasn't even arrested plus the cops didn't arrest me or said I did anything wrong.     Thanks!

You said "FL has summoned me to court for charges of battery on criminal level".

Assuming that this means that you were served with a summons charging you with a crime that means that you NEED an attorney.  Obviously this crime carries a jail sentence.

You don't "get one".  If your income level is below what Florida decrees then you have the right to visit the public defenders office and they make the decision whether they will defend you.

I have no idea if you did anything wrong.  I wasn't there.  All I know is that you appear to be charged with battery.

Criminal Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack Toomey


If you are an author asking for help I will gladly assist you. I do expect a reasonable donation using the Paypal feature. Please do NOT ask questions about potential jail sentences that you or your friends may receive in court. court. There is no way for me to know that. Only a judge could answer a question like that. I am also NOT a probation officer or parole officer so I cannot answer questions that relate to parole or probation. Also please keep in mind that every state has different laws. If you are planning to ask a question about a specific law or criminal charge that pertains to your state only it could be difficult to answer. I also cannot give you legal advice on what to do or what not to do in court. Retired police officer with 26 years experience. Worked in the patrol division as well as over 14 years in the detective bureau. Investigated a wide range of crime such as murder, rape, robbery, theft, fraud, missing persons, and other very sensitive crimes. I am available to answer your questions about criminal law and especially as it applies to police work. I taught at the police academy for several years and am especially knowledgeable about search and seizure. Any question about criminal law is welcome! Please don't ask me to do your homework or ask me questions that obviously come from your teachers or professors. I also do not do online interviews or surveys. Young people need to gain face to face interviewing skills. Local police officers usually are very agreeable to assist in these assignments.


I am a retired police officer with 26 years experience. I investigated almost every type of crime including murder, rape, theft, missing persons, fraud, and domestic abuse. I am very knowledgeable about search and seizure and taught at the police academy for several years on a variety of subjects. I can answer questions that a lot of attorneys cannot since they do not have "street experience".

Bachelor of Science degree in Criminolgy from the University of Maryland.

©2017 All rights reserved.