Criminal Law/Assault

Question
I was involved in an event six months ago. My husband's ex wife shoved me hard in my pregnant stomach as i threatened to call police if she were to lay a hand at me once more. She later filed a police report stating i was the one who shoved her and her son first, when in fact, she is the one who shoved me intentionally in stomach. I too filed a police report the same evening. Police investigated and charged us both with disorderly conduct charges. Hers were recently dropped with a divergence program, and mine were dropped, ,all but one, and one was converted to an assault charge by the prosecutor. I dont understand how this can possibly be. Is this because the other party pressed charges on me ? Or, is this just the other party cooperating regarding my case with the prosecutor? I feel when she had her trial, i gave up my rights by not attending her trial which i probably should have. Can i possibly press assault charges to, although her disorderly  conduct charges were dropped already a month ago? Is it too late for me to do? I am the one pregnant and feared my life and filed a restraining order immediately following  assault.

Answer
Melissa,

As I state in my profile I don't have a crystal ball and cannot know about things that go on in any particular courtroom.

On the other hand why are you surprised that the other woman's charge was dropped when you didn't even attend the trial as you were most likely summoned since you were both the victim and witness?  You can hardly blame the prosecutor for that.

I don't know what the statute of limitations are in your state but the only way to find out is to contact the prosecutor, who has probably had enough of this drama by now, to find out if swearing out a warrant would be possible.  But seeing that you didn't bother complying with the first summons why would  you comply with the second one?

Take a few minutes to think about this.  What would you gain by placing charges against the other woman?  A day or day(s) in court, nothing will ever happen, no one is going to jail, and whatever penalty that would be meted out would be small.  Then make up your mind if you want to make that phone call.

Criminal Law

Jack Toomey