Criminal Law/jury summons question

I received a jury summons, and on the form they ask if 'you ever have been involved in a court proceeding other than jury service.'
And if yes, want you to check off if the case was civil, criminal, traffic, or as a witness. Over 20 years ago I was convicted of a misdemeanor criminal case, but if I check that I don't want to be questioned in court about it, especially in front of others. Would they even do that? Or, if I checked no because it was so long ago, do they do a criminal background check for potential jurors? What do you advise doing? Thanks

I advise doing the right thing.  It is not to have a "clean" jury so to speak.  That is nearly impossible.  The reason for these type of questions is to get a feel for how you might sympathize with the defense and in some cases the prosecution.  You could hand write that you don't want to be questioned in front of others about it.  The attorneys have protocol to follow too.  Who knows, there is a good chance that by checking the block you might get disqualified from the juror pool.  They might notify you by mail or when you arrive at the courthouse.  I hope this helps.

Jeffrey Peter Hauck, JD, CPO, CII, LPD
Hauck Risk Management
Licensed Private Investigation, Threat Mitigation, and Consultation
Our mission: Cerca Trova - Latin for "Seek and You Shall Find!"
☎ /E-mail:

Criminal Law

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to or related to the field of criminal law.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.