Criminal Law/Theft of goods under 500$ plus fugitive warrant for failure to apper in court

I was charged with theft of goods under five hundred   And ended up with a fugitive warrant so I called the judges office trying to figure out what was going on the secretary who answered the phone told me the only way I can take care of it was going to booking and processwhich held a bail of a maximum of 2000 throughout all of this the charge for theft of goods under 500 is for a safethat was stolen from my mom's ex-boyfriend he then said he thought I would be the only one to have done it I also have an eyewitness who is with the group of peopleWho stole the safe written in statements and none of them have my name specifically saysThe oh fendersnames Who stole it one of these offenders was charged in court for simple burglary theft of the safe etc. etc. how can I fight this without being stuck in jail

You have broached several issues so I'll try and address them in order. First, the secretary is correct, once you have been charged and entered into NCIC, you have to present yourself at the police station to be "processed" and have the warrant executed so they will clear your entry in NCIC. However, prior to doing so, we would strongly suggest that you obtain counsel and have them  approach the District Attorney about having your bail amended to Released on Own Recognizance (ROR) because you made atrrangements to turn yourself in once you learned of the warrant. Succinctly, you didn't flee upon learning of the warrant - you never knew a warrant existed. Once you did, you immediately made arrangements to turn yourself in.

Upon your release on bail, your attorney can start investigating the charge and the alleged evidence they have against you. However, the first order of business should be getting an attorney and then turning yourself in as an act of "good faith" for the Judge and the DA.

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez

Kevin M. Tamez serves as one of the most senior and experienced consultants at The MPM Group, Inc. During more than 27 years of both state and federal law enforcement experience, Mr. Tamez held supervisory roles with state law enforcement as well as senior management positions with the U.S. Department of Justice - serving in both domestic as well as foreign posts. In addition to his extensive foreign operational experience, Mr. Tamez is a court adjudicated expert in most Title 18 and Title 21 complex criminal, undercover, and electronic (Title III) intercept investigations. As a senior manager, he is also an authority in most government administrative matters to include Human Resource and Workers’ Compensation issues. Mr. Tamez has broadened his already considerable expertise by authoring various legal reference and inmate advocacy manuals. Mr. Tamez is frequently sought after for his expertise in counseling and preparing convicted law enforcement personnel, politicians, and other “celebrities” for reporting to a federal penal facility.

More than 27-years of both state and federal law enforcement. Uniform patrol, Tactical Operations, SWAT, Detective Bureau (Narcotics), and Uniform Supervision. U.S. Federal Agent (Series-1811), all facets of complex domestic investigations, Special Operations, Paramilitary operations overseas, senior management, strategic planning, etc.

Mr. Tamez has authored several formal "Position Papers" as well as several legal reference manuals to include “The Pre-Release/Post-Release Process for Federal Inmates," “Medical Issues for Federal Inmates,” and “The Administrative Remedy Process for Federal Inmates,” thereby establishing himself as one of this industry’s foremost authorities in BOP procedural and administrative matters as well. In addition to his recent legal reference manuals and other professional publications, Mr. Tamez recently authored the critically acclaimed “The BOP’s Failure to Properly Implement the 2nd Chance Act of 2007” as well as the educational website

Mr. Tamez holds a Bachelor's of Arts Degree and has done graduate work at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Mr. Tamez is a graduate of the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy and both the Basic & Advanced Special Agent courses in Quantico Virginia.

Protected by Privacy Agreements