Criminal Law/Criminal Summons/Charges

Question
I have just received a letter requesting my appearance at the local police department (within the state of Maryland) to provide signature for a criminal summons to be served on me. Upon looking up the included court case number online, I have found following charges against me:

Charge No:001   Description:THEFT: LESS $1,000 VALUE
Statute:CR.7.104   Description:THEFT: LESS $1,000 VALUE
Amended Date:   CJIS Code:1 0621MO/PLL:Probable Cause:X

Charge No:002   Description:CON- THEFT: LESS $1,000 VALUE
Statute:CL   Description:CON- THEFT: LESS $1,000 VALUE
Amended Date:   CJIS Code:1C0621MO/PLL:Probable Cause:X

I would add that another individual who was with me at the date of incident has also received a request for service of summons and has been charged with the same 2 charges. This person was an uninvolved party.

My questions are as follows:

1) Why are there 2 separate charges, and how are they different from each other?
2) If the second person mentioned above was not involved in the incident, what evidence or suggestion would be substantial enough to press them with the same charges?
3) Can I be detained/held for bail on these charges?
4) Will I be able to review the evidence against me prior to a scheduled court date?

Any and all information is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

Answer
Eric,

The two charges are representative of the theft and the conspiracy to commit the theft.  The evidence is predicated on the fact that you allegedly conspired with another person (the second person).  You could be detained but you will most likely have bail set.  You or your attorney can file a motion for discovery to see and review all or most of the evidence being presented against you.  Please consult an attorney to help and protect your rights.

Jeff  

Criminal Law

Jeffrey Hauck