Criminal Law/Shop lifting at Shop Rite

Question
Hi! I got caught shoplifting at ShopRite (New Jersey) yesterday for 2 lipsticks costing to $18.00. I bought a lot of groceries, paid for everything but was followed by a security personnel and was asked to come back inside the store. I was told to give back the item that were not paid. I did! I felt so sorry, and so remorseful for what I did. First time offender, and have no criminal record. I am so at fault, and offered no excuse for it. No cops were called and was told that they will give restitution for the offense and just wait for a letter in the mail.
Will I be given any criminal offense or record...will I be summoned to appear in Court and also do community service? I am still in shock and is so scared...please help!
I won't condone what I did, I will not even try to find an excuse. I am wrong, and has to face the consequence...please help!

Answer
Marie-

New Jersey is one of the few states in the country that does not have a "Suspended Imposition of Sentence" or "Deferred Prosecution" for exactly what you just described. You can simply plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge like this and then request it be expunged at some later date - usually, 3-5 years.

Did you sign anything admitting guilt or did they video/audio record you admitting that you stole the items instead of simply forgetting to pay for them? Did they take a picture of you?

By not calling the police, ShopRite has no formal police report nor do they have your fingerprints. Therefore, you may have a little wiggle room on the charge.

Wait for the letter, if it doesn't come, nothing to worry about. If it does comes, check with an attorney about your options.

The MPM Group, Inc.

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez