Criminal Law/Shopliffing Case

Question
My mother's attorney has had her shoplifting charge dismissed on Feb. 12, 2014. This was her 1st offense. I was there with my mother and verified with her attorney that if he got her shoplifting charge dismissed would he also have it expunged from her record? And he said yes. So we hired him. My mother paid him upfront & we agreed to his fee. Now, since my mother's case has been dismissed we wanted proof from our attorney that the charge has been expunged from her record. He sent us an email today saying that he would gladly expunge the charge from her record for an extra $1,000.00. At the beginning, before we hired him: He said, If you hire me today, the fee that you pay me~will take care of everything including expungement if he can get it dismissed in court. If he would have told us that there was an extra $1,000.00 fee to expunge her record at our consultation~ I would have walked out of his office that day and found another attorney for my mother.

Is there anything I can do to have this expunged from my mother's record without having to pay an extra $1,000.00 fee to this attorney?

Answer
Denise:

My first question in a matter like this would be - did you have a signed 'Fee Agreement' with the attorney? If you have such an Agreement, the understanding you had with the attorney should be clearly stated therein. If there was no signed Agreement, that leaves a lot of wiggle room for the attorney, but for you as well.

To directly, answer your question, we would suggest you go on line and find the Mississippi State Bar Ethics Committee number. This is a group that monitors and polices the attorneys licensed to practice law in the state of Mississippi. You would then have two choices, file a formal complaint against this attorney with the ethics committee in which case they would most probably sanction him and/or require him to handle your case as promised. Moreover, if he failed to do a written Fee Agreement, the ethics committee would most probably side with you.

As an alternative, you could simply call the attorney and tell him to handle the expungement or you will report him to the state ethics committee. That, in and of itself, usually gets their attention and makes them do the right thing.

The MPM Group, Inc.

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez