Criminal Law/petty theft

I am from New Jersey. I was caught taking a $2.63 candy bar. The store security approached me outside and told me she saw me put the bar in my purse. Called me back into Shop Rite and told me to
cooperate and she would not call the police. I signed papers she gave me and then the police came read me my rights(she lied I guess) and I was told I will receive something in the mail in a few weeks. I was told I cannot go into (7) shop rites in that area. What I want to know is do I have a record for this??? if so how many years. And is there a fine I have to pay.

Thank you

The Reader's Digest version, yes you will have a record for shoplifting ('petit larceny'). You will no doubt receive a Criminal Summons in the mail and it will direct you to answer the summons either by appearing in court or paying a fine by mail - probably, the former.

You might check with an attorney in your area, but a charge such as this is a crime of "moral turpitude" and can have an adverse affect on pre-employment applications. On the bright side, in the state of New Jersey, you can request an Expungement of the charge after 5-years.

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez

Kevin M. Tamez serves as one of the most senior and experienced consultants at The MPM Group, Inc. During more than 27 years of both state and federal law enforcement experience, Mr. Tamez held supervisory roles with state law enforcement as well as senior management positions with the U.S. Department of Justice - serving in both domestic as well as foreign posts. In addition to his extensive foreign operational experience, Mr. Tamez is a court adjudicated expert in most Title 18 and Title 21 complex criminal, undercover, and electronic (Title III) intercept investigations. As a senior manager, he is also an authority in most government administrative matters to include Human Resource and Workers’ Compensation issues. Mr. Tamez has broadened his already considerable expertise by authoring various legal reference and inmate advocacy manuals. Mr. Tamez is frequently sought after for his expertise in counseling and preparing convicted law enforcement personnel, politicians, and other “celebrities” for reporting to a federal penal facility.

More than 27-years of both state and federal law enforcement. Uniform patrol, Tactical Operations, SWAT, Detective Bureau (Narcotics), and Uniform Supervision. U.S. Federal Agent (Series-1811), all facets of complex domestic investigations, Special Operations, Paramilitary operations overseas, senior management, strategic planning, etc.

Mr. Tamez has authored several formal "Position Papers" as well as several legal reference manuals to include “The Pre-Release/Post-Release Process for Federal Inmates," “Medical Issues for Federal Inmates,” and “The Administrative Remedy Process for Federal Inmates,” thereby establishing himself as one of this industry’s foremost authorities in BOP procedural and administrative matters as well. In addition to his recent legal reference manuals and other professional publications, Mr. Tamez recently authored the critically acclaimed “The BOP’s Failure to Properly Implement the 2nd Chance Act of 2007” as well as the educational website

Mr. Tamez holds a Bachelor's of Arts Degree and has done graduate work at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Mr. Tamez is a graduate of the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy and both the Basic & Advanced Special Agent courses in Quantico Virginia.

Protected by Privacy Agreements