Criminal Law/Credit card fraud

I was convicted of credit card fraud in the state of Va. back in 2005 when I was arrested it was a class 6 Felony but when I went to court the judge reduced it to a misdemeanor. I recently had to get my fingerprints done for BRIGHT FROM THE START to get a clearance to work in childcare they are saying that in the state of Georgia it's a Felony and they have to handle my case as if it's a Felony can that be done on a case that I was convicted for 10 years ago in another state.

You asked multiple questions in the same submission:

If the Judge reduced the original charge to a misdemeanor, and that is what you pleaded guilty to, then that is what your conviction was for. Backgrounds usually pertain to convictions and not the initial charge.

The fingerprint card from the date of your arrest is sent to the FBI NCIC Center in West Virginia and will list your initial charge because the print card is sent in for processing long before you have a disposition on the charge. The local police who charged you are supposed to send an update with the final court disposition, but they usually don't do this.

You can contact the Clerk of the Court where you were prosecuted and ask them to send you a Certified Copy of the disposition in your case - confirming it was a misdemeanor conviction and not a felony.

Lastly, most employment backgrounds (other than law enforcement/security clearances) don't usually go back more than 5-7 years depending on the state. However, each state has their own requirements for teachers, daycare people, and/or anyone coming in routine contact with children. You can check that with your specific State Police - they are usually tasked with ensuring that those backgrounds are done and stored.

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez

Kevin M. Tamez serves as one of the most senior and experienced consultants at The MPM Group, Inc. During more than 27 years of both state and federal law enforcement experience, Mr. Tamez held supervisory roles with state law enforcement as well as senior management positions with the U.S. Department of Justice - serving in both domestic as well as foreign posts. In addition to his extensive foreign operational experience, Mr. Tamez is a court adjudicated expert in most Title 18 and Title 21 complex criminal, undercover, and electronic (Title III) intercept investigations. As a senior manager, he is also an authority in most government administrative matters to include Human Resource and Workers’ Compensation issues. Mr. Tamez has broadened his already considerable expertise by authoring various legal reference and inmate advocacy manuals. Mr. Tamez is frequently sought after for his expertise in counseling and preparing convicted law enforcement personnel, politicians, and other “celebrities” for reporting to a federal penal facility.

More than 27-years of both state and federal law enforcement. Uniform patrol, Tactical Operations, SWAT, Detective Bureau (Narcotics), and Uniform Supervision. U.S. Federal Agent (Series-1811), all facets of complex domestic investigations, Special Operations, Paramilitary operations overseas, senior management, strategic planning, etc.

Mr. Tamez has authored several formal "Position Papers" as well as several legal reference manuals to include “The Pre-Release/Post-Release Process for Federal Inmates," “Medical Issues for Federal Inmates,” and “The Administrative Remedy Process for Federal Inmates,” thereby establishing himself as one of this industry’s foremost authorities in BOP procedural and administrative matters as well. In addition to his recent legal reference manuals and other professional publications, Mr. Tamez recently authored the critically acclaimed “The BOP’s Failure to Properly Implement the 2nd Chance Act of 2007” as well as the educational website

Mr. Tamez holds a Bachelor's of Arts Degree and has done graduate work at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Mr. Tamez is a graduate of the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy and both the Basic & Advanced Special Agent courses in Quantico Virginia.

Protected by Privacy Agreements