Criminal Law/larceny? forgery? What will happen to me?

I worked in management for a large national retailer. Over the span of about 4 months I looked up receipts in the stores database for cash purchases and did false returns and keeping the cash. I'm not sure what the total amount is that I took, I would guess between $5000-$6000. Also, when doing returns there is a reciept that prints out requiring two signatures. The manager and the customer. I signed my name and a made up customer name on these reciepts. The evidence they have is that the handwriting on all of the customers look the same.

As of right now I resigned and have not been accused but I know I am suspected.

I have absolutely no criminal record.

What could I be charged with?
Am I facing jail time?

First order of business, if you have not been charged and this case has not been adjudicated, you shoud NOT BE DISCUSSING YOUR CASE OVER THE INTERNET. Get an attorney!!

With respect to your question - what "happens to you" will depend on how badly your employer wants to 'stick it' to you and whether they handle this state or federal.

Based on what little you said, you have criminal exposure for 1. Computer Fraud, 2. Theft by Fraud, 3. Identity Theft, and 4. Forgery. There are also collateral issues such as being in a "Position of Trust," etc. Yes, you are facing jail time.

We strongly suggest that your retain counsel pay the money back and try and work out some kind of 'mea culpa' restitution with your employer. Usually, if they don't push hard, the prosecutor won't push hard.

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez

Kevin M. Tamez serves as one of the most senior and experienced consultants at The MPM Group, Inc. During more than 27 years of both state and federal law enforcement experience, Mr. Tamez held supervisory roles with state law enforcement as well as senior management positions with the U.S. Department of Justice - serving in both domestic as well as foreign posts. In addition to his extensive foreign operational experience, Mr. Tamez is a court adjudicated expert in most Title 18 and Title 21 complex criminal, undercover, and electronic (Title III) intercept investigations. As a senior manager, he is also an authority in most government administrative matters to include Human Resource and Workers’ Compensation issues. Mr. Tamez has broadened his already considerable expertise by authoring various legal reference and inmate advocacy manuals. Mr. Tamez is frequently sought after for his expertise in counseling and preparing convicted law enforcement personnel, politicians, and other “celebrities” for reporting to a federal penal facility.

More than 27-years of both state and federal law enforcement. Uniform patrol, Tactical Operations, SWAT, Detective Bureau (Narcotics), and Uniform Supervision. U.S. Federal Agent (Series-1811), all facets of complex domestic investigations, Special Operations, Paramilitary operations overseas, senior management, strategic planning, etc.

Mr. Tamez has authored several formal "Position Papers" as well as several legal reference manuals to include “The Pre-Release/Post-Release Process for Federal Inmates," “Medical Issues for Federal Inmates,” and “The Administrative Remedy Process for Federal Inmates,” thereby establishing himself as one of this industry’s foremost authorities in BOP procedural and administrative matters as well. In addition to his recent legal reference manuals and other professional publications, Mr. Tamez recently authored the critically acclaimed “The BOP’s Failure to Properly Implement the 2nd Chance Act of 2007” as well as the educational website

Mr. Tamez holds a Bachelor's of Arts Degree and has done graduate work at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Mr. Tamez is a graduate of the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy and both the Basic & Advanced Special Agent courses in Quantico Virginia.

Protected by Privacy Agreements