Criminal Law/would my lawyer know of a warrant?

Question
Mr.Tamez--

I have a 1st offense misdemeanor conviction. The case itself was really stressful. The initial charge was a serious felony, the attorney my dad hired managed to keep it out of court for about 1 year, then it was reduced to a class B misdemeanor, and I was sentenced to 3 years in prison suspended to 5 years probation. I have no other arrests...I had 1, but it was expunged 4 years ago.

People keep screaming about "warrants," "prison," etc. around here. I'm low on the totem pole, so people mess with me openly, especially the men. I'm doing well on probation. I'm 1 year in without any problems, all fines paid, etc. People--mostly my neighbors--have been talking about prison and warrants and such ever since I was arrested, about 2 years ago.

I don't understand the legal system. If I had a warrant, would I be arrested immediately? Would my probation officer say/do something? Would my attorney know? I was sentenced 1 year ago. I was also pulled over by the cops a bit less than 1 year ago. They let me go (no ticket), and they didn't say anything about a warrant or anything.

I know this sounds bizarre, but keep in mind: this is a small, southern town, and I'm the lowest person on the totem pole. I just don't understand what's going on. How would I know if I had a warrant?

Thanks.

--Ian

Answer
Ian-

The Reader's Digest version is YES, if you had any kind of outstanding warrant on you, your lawyer would most probably be told, but I can assure you, if you had an outstanding warrant, your probation officer would most certainly know.

Additionally, if you are in a small town (and we have worked in several), the local police would know you and where to find you if there was an outstanding warrant.

Don't worry about "small town gossip." Some people aren't happy unless they are talking badly about other people.

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez