Criminal Law/Aggravated Robbery

Question
Can my charge of aggravated robbery be dropped to petty theft if I was approached in the wrong manner by a undercover Wal-Mart guard who struck  me and tried to retain me with out acknowledging who he was but used force to stop me from leaving the store

Answer
Antonio,

The simple answer is yes. Depending on the specifics of the arrest and what the Walmart employee did or did not do during that arrest, your attorney can ask that the charge be reduced. Walmart may not want any negative publicity and concur with your request.

However, prior to doing so, you should have your attorney request that the state direct Walmart to turn over Walmart's policy on making arrests inside any Walmart facility, turn over any videos of the incident and turn over any incidents of this same employee not following store policies or being too physical with suspects. These requests are standard "Discovery" requests for any defendant.

The MPM Group, Inc.

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez