Criminal Law/sexual harrasment

Question
I live in a small town and was killing time at a business owned by a friend when a uniformed city officer came in to pick up a item for the police dept. I was just standing there at the counter as he walked up, and after nodding my head as a unspoken hello this officer told me that I should smile. That I was a good looking man and then asked if I needed a hug. To say I was taken aback is an understatement. I felt extremely uneasy and didn't know if this man was going to try and touch me, give me a hug or what. I knew if he tried and I tried to protect myself he could either shoot me or arrest me if I tried to push him away. this officer does not know me nor do I know him. I am wanting to do something to stop this person from placing someone else in this position, but I don't where to start. If you can tell me please where to start I would be very grateful. Thank you

Answer
Louis,

Suffice to say that your story is "strange" to say the least. Based on your account, I am assuming you are inferring that the police officer was gay and was hitting on you.

Ordinarily, police officers (male or female) are very guarded about their sexuality and for a uniform police officer to be so overt in public, is out of the norm to say the least.

In any event, no matter the police department, there is no doubt a system in place to report police misconduct, which this is. However, I will surmise that they (internal affairs) will expect some sort of corroboration other than just your claim that this verbal exchange took place.

Were there any witnesses, video surveillance cameras in the store, was the officer wearing a body camera/recording device etc.

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez