Criminal Law/bench warrant


I had a misdemeanor in different state in the east coast, under a different name say Jane White. Just after the police called my roommate I had already left to the west coast and started the procedures to change my name to my birth name, say Yael Moscovi . After 7 years, I recently discovered that a bench warrant has been issued under my former name in the east coast.
Now I was in the process of changing back my name to Jane white(The name under which there is a warrant). On e that done I was going to hire a lawyer an deal wit the 7 years warrant. What are the chances that the judge will deny the change of name? I mean I am changing back my name to the name under which there is the warrant so i am not trying to escape justice.
Thank you very much.


I don't see any issues with having your name changed back.  As you suggest you will be moving forward to clear the warrant.  In my experience you will find the court accommodating if you are trying to answer to the warrant.  It is possible that the statute of limitations has passed and the warrant might be a non-issue.  However it is best to deal with it at this level.  I think your plan is a good one and I see no issues for the court to deny the change.  Good luck!  

Criminal Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeffrey Hauck


I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to or related to the field of criminal law.


Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]