Criminal Law/past criminal history

I am a certified police officer in the state of Florida. When I was 19, I was convicted of 3 misdemeanors in about a year.  10 years later, I was accused, but not convicted of aggravated assault in Texas by my wife at the time. Now I am having a nearly impossible time getting hired in law enforcement.  I guess my question is, why would I be allowed to get certified by the state of Florida with very little chance of getting hired?  Thank you.

Different police departments have differing standards so your problem could be caused for various reasons.

When I saw the aggravated assault alleged by your wife (domestic battery), I immediately thought that was the problem. Today, a conviction for any kind of domestic violence is an almost automatic disqualification in most states to being a police officer as well as a prohibition to carrying/possessing any kind of firearm - arguably a requisite 'tool' for a police officer. However, you said you were never convicted of that offense.

Therefore, your misdemeanors at the early age may be causing the issue. A hiring official may be looking at the totality of your background and are concluding that there are better and more qualified candidates with less 'baggage' than you.

We would strongly suggest you call the departments that have turned you down and ask them 'straight up' why you were rejected. In the alternative, file a Open Records Request or a Freedom of Information (FOIA) Request and see why you are being rejected. In some cases you might be able to correct or update erroneous information contained therein.

As far as why you were approved to be a Special Police Officer, the standards are different for that position as opposed to a sworn police officer.

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez

Kevin M. Tamez serves as one of the most senior and experienced consultants at The MPM Group, Inc. During more than 27 years of both state and federal law enforcement experience, Mr. Tamez held supervisory roles with state law enforcement as well as senior management positions with the U.S. Department of Justice - serving in both domestic as well as foreign posts. In addition to his extensive foreign operational experience, Mr. Tamez is a court adjudicated expert in most Title 18 and Title 21 complex criminal, undercover, and electronic (Title III) intercept investigations. As a senior manager, he is also an authority in most government administrative matters to include Human Resource and Workers’ Compensation issues. Mr. Tamez has broadened his already considerable expertise by authoring various legal reference and inmate advocacy manuals. Mr. Tamez is frequently sought after for his expertise in counseling and preparing convicted law enforcement personnel, politicians, and other “celebrities” for reporting to a federal penal facility.

More than 27-years of both state and federal law enforcement. Uniform patrol, Tactical Operations, SWAT, Detective Bureau (Narcotics), and Uniform Supervision. U.S. Federal Agent (Series-1811), all facets of complex domestic investigations, Special Operations, Paramilitary operations overseas, senior management, strategic planning, etc.

Mr. Tamez has authored several formal "Position Papers" as well as several legal reference manuals to include “The Pre-Release/Post-Release Process for Federal Inmates," “Medical Issues for Federal Inmates,” and “The Administrative Remedy Process for Federal Inmates,” thereby establishing himself as one of this industry’s foremost authorities in BOP procedural and administrative matters as well. In addition to his recent legal reference manuals and other professional publications, Mr. Tamez recently authored the critically acclaimed “The BOP’s Failure to Properly Implement the 2nd Chance Act of 2007” as well as the educational website

Mr. Tamez holds a Bachelor's of Arts Degree and has done graduate work at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Mr. Tamez is a graduate of the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Academy and both the Basic & Advanced Special Agent courses in Quantico Virginia.

Protected by Privacy Agreements