Criminal Law/Unclaimed Property Scam

Question
I received a letter from some sort of Unclaimed Property Search Company.  It was odd that it was concerning my father in law and sent to me.  My father in law passed away a few years ago.  His wife got all of his assets.  Not really thinking, we filled out the paperwork giving them my husband's name.  

They said they found a large number of shares of stock in my father in laws name --- in the company he worked for.

Well, I searched the internet for this unclaimed property and found nothing.  Plus my father in law received a pension so he was in contact with the company.

How do you know it is legit?  We do not want to tell his wife until we can be sure it is.

Can you give me any info?

Thank you!!!

Answer
Emmaline-

Your Subject Line pretty much sums up a majority of these "surprise" and unsolicited emails - they are usually scams. However, there are several ways to verify their authenticity.

1.  Check the domain name on the email address. If it is a Yahoo or Hotmail etc address, there is a good chance it is a scam. However, if it looks like an official email verify the domain and/or see if there is a dot gov at the end of it.

2.  If it gives you a contact telephone number, or an email address, verify it through the agency that they claim they are from.

3.  Contact the BBB or a state fraud center and see if they have any information on this agency claiming they have unclaimed assets.

4.  Whatever you do, DO NOT provide ANY personal information to the contact people without concrete verification of who they are.

Remember the saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is."

The MPM Group, Inc.  

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez