Criminal Law/Sexual harassment or battery.

Question
I am a Dane and even back in school, we have been taught how to react if one chooses to grab you in your behind or stick his nose down or cleavage. We were told to slap the offenders face by our wrist.

In Denmark, the rules about sexual harassment are not so strict as you know it in your country but we are in the middle of a process. It is only 5 years ago when a court rule that a man could not be punished if he did beat his wife up if she had accepted it for years. Our politician had since changed the laws. But making jokes and signs about once sex or origin is still allowed.

Still the laws depends of we woman to object if we feel that another person had come to close.

Now I have read, that a Danish woman had been sentence to anger management because she slapped a flight attendants face because he bend in over her in order to adjust a seat before landing. His face should have been 10 centimeters away from her and she woke wearing blindfolds and felt his breath in her face. She then reacted by the very instinct, we all have been taught for years in our public schools.

I am quite nervous because I am going on holiday in a few months. I had planned to sleep onboard the plane due to a tight schedule. But now I am afraid. I know I would react similar, if I woke by the breath of a strange man just in front of my face.

Where is the limit regarding me as a passenger to be charged with battery?

Answer
THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUESTION.

Criminal statutes in the US, limit assaults and battery to simple threats or touching. It is a crime to physically touch anyone with intention to cause bodily harm. Now, all depending on whether the person provoking your reaction will file charges of assault and battery against you, you may in turn file charges against them as well, depending on the act you believe violated your rights as a person or appear to have a criminal intent.

Keep in touch.

Criminal Law

Criminologist