Criminal Law/Questions Answered by Expert Kevin M. Tamez

SubjectDate Asked
Penal code 3454(c)2/25/2017
  Q: I looked up an inmate at the county jail and it said 3454(c). I Googled it and got 2 answers; one ...
  A: California Penal Code 3454(c) sets forth the California Court's/Parole Office's ability to ...
When the FBI arrests a person for a federal12/14/2016
  Q: When the FBI arrests a person for a federal criminal charge, does he go to the US federal bureau of ...
  A: You have asked multiple questions. If an individual is arrested by the FBI, he will not be housed by ...
Police survalence7/31/2016
  Q: Can local law enforcement place cameras in a home or on homeowners property without the homeowners ...
  A: Emily- The Reader's Digest version is NO. Neither state nor federal law enforcement can encroach on ...
FBI arrest procedures7/21/2016
  Q: How long can the FBI hold an arrestee for having their day in court? What are the procedures? ...
  A: Cantraya: Federal arrest procedures (FBI, DEA, DHS, etc.) are set forth in the Federal Rules of ...
crime definition7/15/2016
  Q: With your qualifications, this may seem petty! I need to know if this constitutes a crime, as the ...
  A: Debee- What you relate is quite possibly a violation of 2-3 separate issues. By calling a federal ...
Fugitive from Justice5/25/2016
  Q: I have been granted an Order of Nondisclosure. This was filed as a Class B Misdemeanor, with the ...
  A: Tina- On its face, you should not sign this document if there is a charge as a "Fugitive from ...
neighbor harrassment5/17/2016
  Q: I have a neighbor who has his daughter living with him upstairs now. (prior to her moving in things ...
  A: Sade- This is a common issue when apartment units/common space are in close proximity to each ...
Is this legal yes or no in the United States4/15/2016
  Q: Casino chips are purchased using credit cards. The chips are then cashed out and instead of ...
  A: To our knowledge, U.S. Casinos do not permit gamblers to buy chips with a credit card. They require ...
Unclaimed Property Scam2/21/2016
  Q: I received a letter from some sort of Unclaimed Property Search Company. It was odd that it was ...
  A: Emmaline- Your Subject Line pretty much sums up a majority of these "surprise" and unsolicited ...
Sexual Assault, False Confession2/12/2016
  Q: my son admitted to sexual assault after hours of interigation, served time for said crime only to ...
  A: Terri, You message was a tad confusing. Are you saying the "victim" of the sexual assault has ...
probation violation1/28/2016
  Q: I get a Relative who is lock up in a city for Probation Volation for 9mo. not the city he lives in ...
  A: Rickey- Ordinarily, you simply petition the court (who placed him on probation) to move his ...
Burglary and grand theft1/22/2016
  Q: What is the statue of limitations in CA?
  A: Peggie- A summary of the California Statute of Limitation rules for criminal cases is found at ...
Statute of limitation1/15/2016
  Q: Found out about warrants in other counties. One from 2011 and other for 2012. The one county I ...
  A: Deborah: Felony warrants are logged into the national NCIC data base. That data base is queried by ...
Aggravated Robbery11/10/2015
  Q: Can my charge of aggravated robbery be dropped to petty theft if I was approached in the wrong ...
  A: Antonio, The simple answer is yes. Depending on the specifics of the arrest and what the Walmart ...
Police protection8/29/2015
  Q: Tamez I have been reading a number of articles claiming that the Supreme Court has ruled that the ...
  A: Chris- We are familiar with the case law your are discussing and, like you, we had a problem ...
past criminal history8/16/2015
  Q: Sir, I am a certified police officer in the state of Florida. When I was 19, I was convicted of 3 ...
  A: Gregory- Different police departments have differing standards so your problem could be caused for ...
Harassment of Disabled Teen7/13/2015
  Q: A retired neighbor who knows that our teen has mental disabilities (PTSD & autistic spectrum), when ...
  A: Cait- I am assuming it's your neighbor who gets drunk and makes an ass out of himself and harasses ...
search of a minor6/22/2015
  Q: can a police officer search a minor without an adult present? And how can we verify why he stopped ...
  A: Gina- The Reader's Digest version is Yes; however, there are several factors to be considered. ...
sexual harrasment5/8/2015
  Q: I live in a small town and was killing time at a business owned by a friend when a uniformed city ...
  A: Louis, Suffice to say that your story is "strange" to say the least. Based on your account, I am ...
Statue of limitations on hot checks in arkansas4/2/2015
  Q: What's the statue of limitations in arkansas
  A: Austin- We will assume by "hot checks" you mean forged/stolen bank checks. As in most states, the ...
violation probation3/24/2015
  Q: If a person violates probation in one state and is arrested in another is there any way to petition ...
  A: LaLa- It would depend on the situation - your scenario is unclear. If the person violated probation ...
would my lawyer know of a warrant?1/31/2015
  Q: Mr.Tamez-- I have a 1st offense misdemeanor conviction. The case itself was really stressful. The ...
  A: Ian- The Reader's Digest version is YES, if you had any kind of outstanding warrant on you, your ...
larceny? forgery? What will happen to me?1/23/2015
  Q: I worked in management for a large national retailer. Over the span of about 4 months I looked up ...
  A: Roger: First order of business, if you have not been charged and this case has not been ...
Credit card fraud1/16/2015
  Q: I was convicted of credit card fraud in the state of Va. back in 2005 when I was arrested it was a ...
  A: Joshulin- You asked multiple questions in the same submission: If the Judge reduced the original ...
detained during questioning12/30/2014
  Q: I am referring to the Luis Rodriguez near the Moore theatre in Oklahoma City. Apparently, Luis' wife ...
  A: Gerry- You may be confusing "No ID Requirement" and "Investigative Detainment/Inquiry." The "No ID" ...
immigration hold in jail12/14/2014
  Q: Yes hi my boyfriend is in jail he was put on ICE hold a couple days of incarcerated but recently all ...
  A: Marquittia- The Immigration "Hold" you mention is, in fact, a Detainer put on your boyfriend by ICE ...
child support11/29/2014
  Q: My friend left Michigan to find a better life. He now has a job and wants to clear up a bench ...
  A: Donna- Most, if not all, states are unforgiving when it comes to unpaid Child Support. I will ...
Theft of goods under 500$ plus fugitive warrant for failure to apper in court11/19/2014
  Q: I was charged with theft of goods under five hundred And ended up with a fugitive warrant so I ...
  A: Tylor- You have broached several issues so I'll try and address them in order. First, the secretary ...
Does a wrongfully convicted person regain all of their rights?10/3/2014
  Q: It is a known fact that if you are convicted of a violent felony(rape,murder,etc)you automatically ...
  A: David, Under the circumstances you describe, the conviction of the individual would be "set aside" ...
Mike Brown killing8/21/2014
  Q: I'm perplexed about why officer Wilson hasn't been arrested for the killing of Mike Brown. I'm also ...
  A: Richard, Whether it be right or wrong, the usual process in this country is to give law enforcement ...
petty theft8/4/2014
  Q: I am from New Jersey. I was caught taking a $2.63 candy bar. The store security approached me ...
  A: Magna: The Reader's Digest version, yes you will have a record for shoplifting ('petit larceny'). ...
warrents6/18/2014
  Q: I live in a small village. It it similar to Mayberry on the old Andy Griffin show on TV. Hope you ...
  A: Stephen, I am quite familiar with the "small town" atmosphere you speak of. However, let's not ...
Shopliffing Case5/6/2014
  Q: My mother's attorney has had her shoplifting charge dismissed on Feb. 12, 2014. This was her 1st ...
  A: Denise: My first question in a matter like this would be - did you have a signed 'Fee Agreement' ...
Shop lifting at Shop Rite5/2/2014
  Q: I got caught shoplifting at ShopRite (New Jersey) yesterday for 2 lipsticks costing to $18.00. I ...
  A: Marie- New Jersey is one of the few states in the country that does not have a "Suspended ...
motion for ret evid4/2/2014
  Q: Do you need a layer to file the motions, or can you do it yourself at the clerk, or chambers? I ...
  A: Richie- You didn't provide many details about the type of Motion or the court, but the Reader's ...
assault1/25/2014
  Q: I am pregnant and was recently assaulted by my husbands ex wife in the stomach area. I yelled at her ...
  A: Mary, This is a classic "he said/she said" unless the other woman has a witness to corroborate her ...
serving federal time w/detainer in WI1/19/2014
  Q: Serving federal time for absconding from federal probation. At the same time, there is a detainer ...
  A: Amy, The federal inmate will be held and not given his statutory 'good time' because of the ...
Public information1/12/2014
  Q: What are the dangers of the right to public information as it applies to jurors? Do you think that ...
  A: Rudy, Great question and one that has dogged the ACLU, ABA, prosecutors and law enforcement ...
Query11/19/2013
  Q: I was wondering due to seeing a TV show:- if a husband does a 7 year sentence for killing his wife ...
  A: Geoff- I see you are from Austria, but will assume, by the nature of your question, you are ...
criminal law11/12/2013
  Q: My mother was killed in a motorcycle accident 1.5 years ago. She was a passenger. The driver said ...
  A: Chris- If the motorcycle was "moving" on a public roadway or even a dirt bike trail at the time of ...
Probation violation11/7/2013
  Q: I am on supervised probation and I got caught with three methodone pills I was wondering since it's ...
  A: Arthur- Not a cut & dry answer. It is not mandatory that they violate you, but they can if they ...
Cousins charges11/4/2013
  Q: Im Just wanting to know why a Tetrahy pos an a regular marijuana pos have in common and also why is ...
  A: Mike- If I understand your question correctly, you are asking why possession of ...
What degree program should I choose?10/24/2013
  Q: I am looking to go back to college. I already have an arts degree but have found that my interests ...
  A: Josh- There are many fields that you can go into if you are interested in criminal investigations. ...
adult instructed minor child to beat a younger minor child9/6/2013
  Q: witnesses reported seeing and hearing a father instruct his sophomore to beat up my 8 th grade son ...
  A: Amanda- We will assume that a police report was taken regarding the initial assault. (If not, we ...
Wrongfully charged.7/4/2013
  Q: In hall county georgia pulled over by banks county for expired tag. Me an girlfriend charged with ...
  A: Justin- You have about six separate issues in this one paragraph. 1. We are not familiar with GA ...
Harressment at work?5/29/2013
  Q: I worked for a State Agency and I worked there just fine until I became disabled.When I returned to ...
  A: Dene- The Reader's Digest version is Yes, based on your facts, the company is in violation of the ...
Locating a loved on5/23/2013
  Q: Briefly, my 67 year old sister was placed in a nursing home for Alzheimer's patients,in Utah. There ...
  A: Mr. Stroud- We are not really familiar with Utah civil commitment requirements, but we are ...
driving on suspended 5th offence4/28/2013
  Q: In the state of Tennessee..Greene county..what is the maximum possible sentence for driving on a ...
  A: Cameron: The penalty in Tennessee for driving on a "revoked' license varies depending on the reason ...
Police officer lies about illegal search2/25/2013
  Q: What should a person do if the police obtain contraband that is hidden from sight (under couch ...
  A: Zak- You surface several issues. In order for the items to be in 'plain view,' the officers would ...
forgery and utterance evidence2/18/2013
  Q: I am physically but not legally separated from my husband. Neither of us has retained an attorney ...
  A: Shelly- The Reader's Digest version is Yes, both the soon-to-be ex and his sister are, depending on ...
Drug Indictments1/29/2013
  Q: Is there a statue of limitations on drug indictments. If so what is it ? Also if the individual is a ...
  A: Gwen- Once a person is Indicted by a Grand Jury for any felony charge, that action halts the clock ...
Jury Size1/28/2013
  Q: I have an idea for a movie but want to keep the cast size down. Is it possible for a jury (in the ...
  A: Robert- The Supreme Court has held under the Sixth Amendment that juries in criminal cases are not ...
What would the FBI do when a person informs the1/25/2013
  Q: What would the FBI do when a person informs the FBI about a terrorist plot in Japan, because he does ...
  A: If the FBI were to receive credible information concerning a terrorist act that might occur in ...
How to proceed1/8/2013
  Q: I have asked and you have answered a question previous concerning this case which was helpful and I ...
  A: Margie- If all attorneys were competent and earned their fees, our firm would be out of a job. ...
FBI Liaison procedures12/8/2012
  Q: Mr. Tamez, Thank you once again for your replies to my previous questions regarding FBI procedures ...
  A: Steven- First, FBI Legal Attaches (LegAt) are principally legal advisors to the U.S. Ambassador and ...
Transfer process from federal to serve time in state11/5/2012
  Q: My brother was recently released from a federal prison to serve time in state for probation ...
  A: Felicia- Using the word "normal" and the words "federal system" in the same sentence is a classic ...
Pressing charges for a bounce check10/19/2012
  Q: I cashed checks for someone in the amounts totalling $2400 under the impression this person had the ...
  A: Nikki- Issuing checks that reach that total is a felony. Therefore, it depends on which you want ...
extradition from florida to texas9/13/2012
  Q: how long will texas take to extradite from florida for a felony possession VOP charge?
  A: Amanda- There really is no time limit, but the court and prosecutor in Florida will insist it be ...
paroles9/8/2012
  Q: at what distance will police go to find someone absconding from parole?
  A: Terrissa: Since you said "police," I will assume you meant state parole officers. (In any event, ...
FBI custody procedure8/12/2012
  Q: Mr. Tamez, I am researching FBI/federal agent arrest procedures for a novel that I am authoring. Do ...
  A: Steven: Contrary to the scenes depicted in Hollywood movies, FBI/DEA type federal agents (commonly ...
debit cards7/2/2012
  Q: I am an American adult living abroad. My father game me a debit card that is in his name as a way ...
  A: Merav- It is not fraud if your father gave you the card for your personal use. However, depending ...
Restitution6/16/2012
  Q: Trey, my 44 year old step son has admitted to stealing from his employer (a small, family owned, ...
  A: Ed, These type of civil negotiations are way outside our scope of expertise, but a couple of issues ...
Illegal immigrants/law6/12/2012
  Q: I am a law student and I have found most laws for illegal immigrants but this one. If an illegal ...
  A: Crystal: The short answer to your question is YES. Any defendant (state of federal) is entitled to ...
probation violation/deportation6/3/2012
  Q: my friend is on probation for dui, position (meth) she also had to face deportation. she was born in ...
  A: Mary- Technically, any aggravated felony conviction is grounds for deportation - especially, drugs. ...
First Offense Drug Charge6/2/2012
  Q: Okay so I was with some friends when we were stopped by a polic officer for trespassing. One of the ...
  A: Jenny- Constructive possession would not apply in this case - especially, where the guy took the ...
Cleaning up my record5/31/2012
  Q: I am in WA state. I have a conviction for Assault from 2005 and a DUI from 2005. I am having ...
  A: William- States vary throughout the country with regard to expungment of criminal records. Sounds ...
Terminology for Laws that no longer exist?5/18/2012
  Q: I am baffled that I cannot find any definition or terminology for a law that no longer exists or is ...
  A: Dante- We are not attorneys and do not know of any specific formal/legal term that defines a law ...
Texting Harassment5/12/2012
  Q: Is it considered harassment if someone is texting me about a medical condtion I have? I am unable to ...
  A: Kelly- Even after some 28-years in law enforcement, the depths to which some people will stoop ...
Traffic incident4/14/2012
  Q: My niece recently was involved in a car accident. The other driver appears at fault according to the ...
  A: Jessica, Without seeing the actual summons, we can only conclude that the other driver was charged ...
24244/11/2012
  Q: What do i do if someone forged my name on a tax form to claim a child as a dependant my sons mother ...
  A: Carlton: That is under the purview of the IRS. It could also be a federal felony violation ...
stalking3/22/2012
  Q: Tamez, I reside in Illinois. I have a situation I hope you can advise. I have been stalked by a ...
  A: Nini- The gym has the obligation to ensure their members are not harassed or intimidated by some ...
extradition3/21/2012
  Q: my boyfriend is in jail in texas waiting extardition to louisiana....what is the max amount of time ...
  A: Kerry- Texas can hold him for a "reasonable" amount of time if he doesn't waive extradition. If ...
Receiving Stolen Goods charge3/14/2012
  Q: Long story short....let a so called " friend" stay with me a couple of days because he got kicked ...
  A: D- Obviously, you're going to need an attorney for this case. Start putting together a list of ...
Can I have Battery Charges Dropped?3/13/2012
  Q: My live in boyfriend of two years is being charged with Battery w/ Family Violence due to a drunken ...
  A: Shar- The new and more enforced "Domestic Violence" laws are being found to be a double-edged ...
Extradition from Texas3/9/2012
  Q: My boyfriend is in the Nueces County Jail in Texas on an assault charge w/$1k bond, but has an out ...
  A: Regina- If the charge in North Carolina is, in fact, a misdemeanor, a couple of questions pop up. ...
access to narcotics in BOP for back pain2/20/2012
  Q: Brother is to be sentenced next month (March 2012). Six months ago, he was in a serious accident; ...
  A: Travis- There are no opiate based pain medications available in the BOP Formulary. Last we checked, ...
early termination of probation2/16/2012
  Q: I have been on formal probation since August 2009 in the state of California. When I was sentenced ...
  A: Marissa- As much as I hate to admit it, you might be better off having an attorney represent you in ...
federal/state time2/5/2012
  Q: My nephew is currently serving federal time in prison. At the time of his arrest on federal charges ...
  A: Becky- If they (State of Florida) secured a Violation of Probation (VOP) warrant for your nephew, ...
Possession of marijuana1/16/2012
  Q: What constitutes possession of marijuana? Can you be prosecuted and found guilty without actually ...
  A: Tom: Possession of a controlled substance can be the actual possession of the drug (on your person) ...
FBI Legats1/14/2012
  Q: Can you tell me if FBI agents assigned to Legats duty (i.e. in Paris France) are assigned housing on ...
  A: Steven- DEA Agents and FBI Agents (Legal Attaches - "LegAt's") are assigned to U.S. Embassy duty ...
what constitutes harassment?12/31/2011
  Q: I live in an apartment building for people with disabilities, and for senior people. Across the ...
  A: Susie- We must confess, we cannot reconcile how the scenario you described could be construed as ...
marijuana laws12/30/2011
  Q: I was caught by undercover narcatics team in Eugene, Oregon with more than 5g but less than an ...
  A: Bob- A little late to get the marijuana card at this juncture. Helping the police to make other ...
Extradition from miami,florida to atlanta12/29/2011
  Q: I have a very old warrant from 1995 in atlanta georgia the charges were possesion with intent to ...
  A: Ray- It's been our experience that states rarely keep small marijuana cases laying around for 2-3 ...
minor at school in trouble with law michigan12/1/2011
  Q: my son (15) skipped school...according to school, he was smoking pot and was suspended...i picked ...
  A: Catherine, Not sure about Michigan juvenile laws, but this whole incident sounds odd. First, not ...
Job as a Probation/Parole Officer11/29/2011
  Q: My question is I am going for my degree in corrections to a be a probation or parole officer and I ...
  A: Emma- Not many applicants for any type of law enforcement have been "angels" all their lives and ...
Dui Charges11/25/2011
  Q: I was recently pulled over, and received a dui in Pa. Out of curiosity, if I were to leave the ...
  A: Ray- First, there, is no "preliminary hearing" on a DUI. Your assigned court date would be for your ...
police lied to get into home11/22/2011
  Q: My uncle does alittle Meth. He don't sell it, trade it or anything. One day the police show up at ...
  A: Terry- The short answer is No. A "consent search" of a residence has to be knowingly and ...
urgent11/21/2011
  Q: my brother lives with me Im his sister and his legal guardian, the police to do his regular search ...
  A: Norma- Are you referring to parole/probation officers or the "police?" The police cannot search ...
harrasment11/20/2011
  Q: my wife works in an office of which she is the manager. there is a member of staff who she knows is ...
  A: Doug, Not sure about the United Kingdom's laws on recording a conversation without both parties ...
theft11/18/2011
  Q: I recently left some personal items at my mothers house in puerto rico for safe keeping while i got ...
  A: Glendaly- The short version is Yes, you can report the theft to the local police and let them know ...
harassament11/17/2011
  Q: i have been receiving harassing phone call on my cell and at my job from a jay williams @ pcs law ...
  A: Latonya- You never told us why Mr. Williams was calling you and/or harassing you. Is it a general ...
Corrections11/8/2011
  Q: I just wanted to know what kinds of programs are offered at each prison institution in Illinois.
  A: Monique- Your question is to vague/broad. There are over 47 penal facilities in Illinois, male & ...
Expungement of weapon charge Mississippi11/7/2011
  Q: I have an "Unlawful Carry of Weapon" charge which reads "Felony Unassigned" on my record. This ...
  A: Tisha- We are not that familiar with Mississippi law, but most states have an "Expungement Statute" ...
Legal issues11/6/2011
  Q: My father met then married a woman exactly one year ago, and has recently passed away. This woman ...
  A: Melody- The Reader's Digest version is "NO," a person may not change or alter their name for ...
am i looking at hard time?10/24/2011
  Q: I have a touchy question for you Mr. Tamez. I was recently served a search warrant agaisnt my mother ...
  A: Anthony- You did not mark this question/answer "Private;" consequently, anyone can read it. I would ...
misdeameanor conviction10/21/2011
  Q: I have a misdemeanor on my record in year 2000 how can it get off my record or does NC allow it ...
  A: Chanta- Most states now allow minor misdemeanor convictions to be "expunged" from your criminal ...
florida to texas extradition10/11/2011
  Q: i have a friend that recently relocated here to Florida and after doing so found out she had 2 ...
  A: Carmen- First, we have never heard of misdemeanor "Grand Theft" charges. In most states, that would ...
texting harassment10/10/2011
  Q: i have known my friend for 3 years over the three years he has repeatedly texting me complaining ...
  A: Brittney- We are a U.S. based firm and have little specific knowledge about Canadian law. However, ...
Shoplifting10/8/2011
  Q: I am 29 year old live in michigan. I got caught in shoplifting, cops came n arrested me.i paid $500 ...
  A: Mikky- The State of Michigan offers several different types of "First Offender Programs." Check ...
Teen not quite 1810/3/2011
  Q: I have a 17 year old son that will be 18 in 4 months. He has since runaway. What does Colorado law ...
  A: Jamie- Colorado Statue 2-4-401(6) defines a minor as a any person (male or female) who has not ...
"Theft By Deception"9/26/2011
  Q: Can I use the resources of the state to investigate and pursue a criminal charge of "theft by ...
  A: James- What you describe is technically, wire fraud (Internet). When he/she mailed you the cellular ...
Verbally Abusive Neighbor9/19/2011
  Q: My neighbor is a 62 year old female-alcoholic. SHe has on more than one occasion attacked me ...
  A: Maria- Make sure you keep a record with the local police. Public drunkness and abusive language are ...
Extradition9/18/2011
  Q: My husband is currently incarcerated in Neuse Correctional Facility, he has a 3 month sentence. He ...
  A: Marsha- Your husband's current facility can only hold your husband for the period of time that his ...
Statue of limitation of residential burglery in mississippi9/17/2011
  Q: What is the statue of limitation in mmississippi
  A: Valda- The statute of limitations for most crimes in the State of Mississippi is two years. You can ...
Increasing sentence9/14/2011
  Q: I'm studying Criminal Justice and I'am taking a Criminal Evidence course and we've reached a section ...
  A: Chris, First, a prosecutor does not sentence defendants - only a judge can do that. Simply, a ...
harrassing neighbor8/25/2011
  Q: So we have lived here for 4 yrs last yr new neighbors moved in..every time we go to back yard they ...
  A: Angie- Not sure where you live, but there are very few (if any) jurisdictions (states/cities/town) ...
summons8/8/2011
  Q: I have received a summons to come to a sherrifs office out of town in Gainesville fl. I'm a ...
  A: Lisa- If this is a repeat offense of trespassing, you could be looking at some jail time. ...
Probation hold8/2/2011
  Q: my husband was sentenced to set up his probation on May 11, 2011, he had to set it up by May 20, ...
  A: Shamika- Does he have an attorney for the subsequent charges that he was picked up for on 5/14? If ...
Feral Inmates7/27/2011
  Q: My friends is serving a 11 years sentencing in FBOP, but i was told that since he's Cuban he qull be ...
  A: Martha- There is a federal statute that states any immigrant (illegal or Green Card Holder) that is ...
Hung jury7/23/2011
  Q: Regarding a hung jury, if a jury cannot come to an unanimous verdict in a criminal trial after a ...
  A: Eileen- The judge maintains a lot of latitude in instructing a jury. In doing so, he/she also ...
what happens after a warrent is served7/21/2011
  Q: We were served with a search warrent just before Easter this yr. They told us it was about child ...
  A: David- First, if this is a child pornography case, you should retain/consult with counsel. Suffice ...
Parole violation7/19/2011
  Q: If parole comes to my home looking for my boyfriend, and they find him, can I get locked up and my ...
  A: Jacqueline- Based on the way you phrased your question, are we to assume that he was wanted for a ...
Dog summons7/15/2011
  Q: I live in Oquossoc ME in Rangeley plantation. My dog who is 10 yrs old, never bit anyone in his ...
  A: Kevin- We are not familiar with Maine's specific "leash law," but most require you to have your dog ...
Neighbor7/14/2011
  Q: I have a neighbor who lives behind my Mothers house who has a egoistic attitude..However, besides ...
  A: Crystal- I am a little confused, you say you have a fenced in yard so how does the choc. lab get ...
Extradition6/30/2011
  Q: My husband is currently incarcerated in falkenburg jail in Florida. He violated probation in North ...
  A: Mariah- We are in no position to know what the specific North Carolina jurisdiction's budget looks ...
class b criminal mischief6/29/2011
  Q: If a person pleaded Deferred Adjudication and finished the probation period what should they do when ...
  A: Joe- You are not the first person to ask this question. It is true that a "Deferred Judgment" does ...
Retainer lifted6/28/2011
  Q: A friend of mine was arrested they were on probation and had a warrant for simple assault which was ...
  A: Minnie- Your friend's attorney should be on-top of his case and what detainers are still in effect. ...
house arrest6/26/2011
  Q: My brother just recently went up for parole a month ago and is residing with our dad,they denied his ...
  A: Renee, As you know, most states give a lot of latitude to the Parole Board (PB) and to Parole ...
Aggrevated Robbery6/24/2011
  Q: I live in Texas. I was out with my lady and her little boy, and a 16 year old friend. I saw a guy ...
  A: Patrick- Well, interesting story to say the least. The Reader's Digest version is Yes these charges ...
simple assault defense6/21/2011
  Q: what kind of defense can be used for first time offender of simple assault? this gentleman (employed ...
  A: Lisa- Sounds like this individual might be considered a "good Samaritan" in this incident. That ...
Harassment/ DV6/18/2011
  Q: Kevin, My ex boyfriend has been stalking me and was sitting in my driveway one evening when I was on ...
  A: Leslie- Sounds as if your former BF has serious personal and psychological issues. As such, he is ...
Felony Warrants & extradition6/14/2011
  Q: I have a felony warrant out of Missouri for a class B felony DWI. I also have a failure to appear ...
  A: Shane- It is true that "traffic" cases are sometimes deleted from NCIC after a period of time. You ...
Expunged Record..Show Up in FBI Check?6/8/2011
  Q: Tamez, I hope you can help me as I'm very anxious about my situation. I'm a new nursing school ...
  A: Kelly- Just so we understand you - we are discussing an "Expungement" and not a "dismissal" of ...
online pics6/3/2011
  Q: This is my story, my girlfriend found a couple of pictures I had printed out online. Two which were ...
  A: David- Although the wrath of a former wife/girlfriend never ceases to amaze us, it sounds to us as ...
Harrassment???5/31/2011
  Q: I live in NH and my boyfriends ex wife of 12 years harrasses him ,his family and most recently me as ...
  A: Jennifer- Harassment is a misdemeanor crime and can be punishable by jail time. These incidents ...
absconding from probatition5/29/2011
  Q: I am on probation in kansas for driving while suspended x2, and misdemeanor theft. I have recently ...
  A: Beau- Usually, states will not extradite for misdemeanor offenses. However. most states also have ...
I was injured while incarerated5/24/2011
  Q: I was incarcerated at Macomb County Jail. My question down to the point is, I was attacked by an ...
  A: Joseph- You have civil remedies against the jail. You should check with a civil attorney about a ...
civil matter5/22/2011
  Q: Kevin, In a nutshell a former friend embezzled about 20k from a joint business account. All MY ...
  A: George- Obviously, you know the credit card fraud involves separate felonies and you appear to have ...
Criminal Law5/22/2011
  Q: Is it illegal for a mother to take and hide her 25 year old daughters controlled substance ...
  A: Kaylen- The simple Reader's Digest version is yes - it is technically, theft of personal property ...
Child Support5/19/2011
  Q: I live abroad and pay child support in SC. I was behind by a couple of payments and may have had a ...
  A: Scott- Unlike alimony, most states have a real short sense of humor when it comes to missing Child ...
shoplifting at shoprite5/17/2011
  Q: First time offender of Shoplifting at Shoprite for $30. He said you will receive something in the ...
  A: Marie- Our experience in these matters has been 2-weeks, but we don't need to quibble over a week ...
hello.5/17/2011
  Q: .my question is will I go to jail if I'm being charged with my First offense lying to a cop about my ...
  A: Mark- If you have no prior criminal record and the "false statement" wasn't germane to a serious ...
larceny by employee5/10/2011
  Q: Im 30 yrs old...no record...but recently have gotten in trble at wrk for larceny by employee ...
  A: Misty- You never specified whether you were formally charged by the police. If they did charge you, ...
class c misdemeanor5/8/2011
  Q: My Son was arrested this morn. class c misdemeanor for drug paraphnilia. We live in E Texas. will ...
  A: Shelby- If your son was formally charged and fingerprinted, he now has a criminal record. You can ...
probation violation5/8/2011
  Q: someone very close to me was arrested sometime ago for felony narcotics charge for having ambien ...
  A: Tim- I must confess, I have never heard of anyone receiving such a harsh sentence for possession of ...
hello5/6/2011
  Q: i quit my job 2 days ago and my boss has begged me to come back. i refuse to go back. my car is ...
  A: Cassie: I must confess I am a tad confused. If you were "financing" your car, you shouldn't have ...
Public Drunkenness and Ambulance5/4/2011
  Q: I was stopped by a policeman in a college town and had a high enough BAC where he had to call an ...
  A: Andrew- I'll assume you weren't driving (at least I hope you weren't under these circumstances) so ...
Possesion of stolen goods under 2000.004/27/2011
  Q: my son was charged with possesion of stolen good under 2000.00, but finally admitted that he ...
  A: Cathy- You didn't specify a state and your question is somewhat confusing. We will assume he was ...
non violent marijuana crime4/21/2011
  Q: Hi i tried to get a passport and the state dept told me i had a felony warrant for a non violent ...
  A: Daryl: Not sure the specific details about your California warrant, but for certain non-violent ...
neighbor property/criminal dispute.4/17/2011
  Q: I am not sure where or how do address this issue, but I need help. I am currently at my residence ...
  A: Linda- Frustrating to say the least. I would first ask the police what has been done, if anything, ...
Bond4/13/2011
  Q: Will a judge set bail If some other state wants you
  A: Rose- It depends. If the person is a fugitive and was captured in another state, probably not. They ...
Can i get in trouble for tresspassing4/7/2011
  Q: I went up to a camp site in Pennsylvania and i was driving around with my little brother looking for ...
  A: Bryan- The Reader's Digest version is yes..if you trespassed on private property to get the metal, ...
Used Profanity While on My Property at Someone Elses Kids Who Were Harassing Me4/4/2011
  Q: I was outside yesterday, minding my own business when some kids (about 6-7yrs old) that were next ...
  A: Nellie- You can have the neighbor control his kids, but something like this is a "he said/she said" ...
extradition from Florida to Georgia4/3/2011
  Q: If extradition is fought from Florida to Georgia on a violation of probation charge how long can my ...
  A: Scott- If he is fighting extradition, they will schedule an extradition hearing in Florida and that ...
credit card theft4/2/2011
  Q: I live in NH and was contacted by a MPD detective she stated it wouldn't go any further then ...
  A: Bre- From the short story you provide, it sounds like you got yourself involved in a Credit Card ...
minor with possession4/1/2011
  Q: I'm a minor and got charged with possession. i am now on probation. when i first talked to the ...
  A: Corey- If you were convicted of a drug offense and given probation - especially as a minor - drug ...
Options to consider before court date for 5th degree shoplifting in Iowa3/30/2011
  Q: I'm 22 years old and recently arrested for shoplifting in Iowa. It is my first my offense and the ...
  A: Jared, We always recommend that you speak with an attorney in a criminal matter. If that is not an ...
Petit Theft3/28/2011
  Q: last week I was caught stealing $35 worth of stuff (mainly cosmetics)from my local Walmart and was ...
  A: Gloria- We always recommened people get an attorney in any criminal matter because a conviction ...
Will they extradite?3/24/2011
  Q: I live in NY my daughter is 18, they expect me to pay until 21, I refuse, I assume they will ...
  A: Fred- First, you need to be aware that all states take "child support" VERY seriously. However, we ...
shoplifting3/22/2011
  Q: I was caught shoplifting and I have a summons to appear in court. This is my first offense and I'm ...
  A: Gwen- Although he might like to think so, store security personnel have no say in your sentence. ...
Illegal driver's license3/22/2011
  Q: I have two sons. The younger son used his older brother's driver's license to get a license with his ...
  A: Linda- If he filled out the official state DMV form and signed his brother's name, he falsified a ...
relationships3/22/2011
  Q: I am currently on probation for a class C felony assault. My probabtion officer is telling me that I ...
  A: Ned- We have not heard of a probation officer setting the such strict and specific parameters of a ...
acceptable substance for UA3/21/2011
  Q: will cialsis show up dirty in my urine analysis and/or if i wear the patch?
  A: Scoot, Usually, urine tests are geared to detect illicit drugs that are commonly abused by ...
MY son's rights3/19/2011
  Q: My son is 17 and will be 18 in May , he is now at the detention center for charges of burglary and ...
  A: Judy- You didn't specify a specific state, but if your son is being held in an adult Detention ...
2 counts of criminal trespass in WA state...3/18/2011
  Q: I was originally charged in King County Superior Court with 2 counts of Residential Burlary; I was ...
  A: Dan, We are not familiar with King County's routine sentencing habits nor have we read your ...
Impersonating and EMT3/16/2011
  Q: What law is there, if any, for someone to impersonate an EMT. They are not caring for patients or ...
  A: Judy- You never provided a state, but it is usually a Class 4 felony to impersonate a paramedic in ...
warrant3/15/2011
  Q: My 20 year old boyfriend is on probation in Illinois and he ran to Minnesota. He had just got ...
  A: Lyndsay- Check with the conditions set on the Illinois Bond. Usually, they will require you to get ...
Harassment3/12/2011
  Q: My son and girlfriend have broken up (he is 33)She has now become vindictive about him seeing his ...
  A: Victoria- Harassing telephone calls is a misdemeanor in most states as is "terroristic threats." We ...
Leaving the country on Probation3/10/2011
  Q: just a quick question. I've been on probation for about 2 years, and i still have to complete 3 more ...
  A: Gustavo- Rarely, if ever, would state authorities attempt to extradite a person from a foreign ...
Assault On a Minor2/27/2011
  Q: A 36yr old male in Ohio punched a 17yr old (not related) in the face. The same 36yr old male shoved ...
  A: Heather- One will considered a domestic assault/violence and the other simple assault. And yes, ...
wobbler provision2/25/2011
  Q: when did the state of California institute the wobbler provision?
  A: Robert: Although California law is not really our area of expertise, we wanted to educate ourselves ...
felonies2/22/2011
  Q: Would a warrant still be active after 10 yrs. from walking out of a Half way house, but still being ...
  A: Manuel: You didn't provie much information, but I would suspect that the warrant would still be ...
felony warrent2/21/2011
  Q: My brother was arrested 11 years ago in Washington state for a misdemeanor assault. He plead not ...
  A: Dar- There could be several possible explanations. First, if the initial misdemeanor charge was ...
domestic assault 3rd degree2/20/2011
  Q: Please help. My wife and I after 6 years of marriage and me never having been in trouble for ...
  A: Kyle: Domestic abuse, real or imagined, is a very touchy issue for obvious issues. In some ...
Personal Check forgery2/19/2011
  Q: I signed my mother's name to a personal check of her's. She says she is going to file forgery ...
  A: Lisa- In this case, several factors would need to be explored before we could render an intelligent ...
RICO statutes2/18/2011
  Q: Im not sure if you can answer this. Debate the pros and cons of the RICO statute.
  A: Rudy- The RICO statute is an extremely effective tool for federal prosecutors, but is also alleged ...
Underage Consumption Citation, voided2/15/2011
  Q: On February 5th, I was stopped by a security officer because I was "stumbling and falling," even ...
  A: Nanis: For obvious reasons, US colleges are taking campus drinking extremely serious. Several civil ...
General Harrasment2/10/2011
  Q: Yes Sir , i have a question regarding harassment. Yesterday i was on Facebook and i was searching ...
  A: James: Sounds like she got caught "playing" on line and tried to explain it to her BF at your ...
immigration2/9/2011
  Q: I'd like to know why, when illegal aliens enter this country in effect committing a crime doing so, ...
  A: Dave, Stand in line with millions of other Americans trying to understand our "immigration laws." ...
criminal liability exercise2/8/2011
  Q: if three people plan a robbery then one gets cold feet are all three guilty of robbery
  A: Jerry- The Reader's Digest version, yes!! If two or more people plan to do an armed robbery and ...
wrongfully covicted2/6/2011
  Q: i was convicted for possesion 5yrs ag. there were no drug found on my person or vehicle.drugs were ...
  A: Clifton, Although you never specified where this took place, there are several of these types of ...
evidence2/5/2011
  Q: We live in CA. Boyfriend is being charged with PC368(D)elder theft and PC459 burglury. It was ...
  A: Cindy- You need to get your boyfriend's attorney to do his job. Your boyfriend should be the one to ...
Fugitive Warrant2/4/2011
  Q: My Husband is currently serving a sentence in Maryland. He has a Fugitive Warrant in Georgia for a ...
  A: Amanda- Although you didn't specify what facility your husband is in, we have handled cases exactly ...
DNA2/2/2011
  Q: CAN DNA BE ENOUGH TO CONVICT A PERSON IN A NON VIOLENT CRIME AS THE ONLY SOLELY PIECE OF ...
  A: Maria- You really haven't provided enough details for us to answer this question properly. Suffice ...
Order of incarceration2/2/2011
  Q: A judge with the Superior Court recently ordered my X-husband in contempt and ordered incarceration ...
  A: Laura- We are not that familiar with civil extradition issues between Georgia and Indiana. ...
Juvinile Theft2/1/2011
  Q: 80 dollars and i lied and said i wasn't meaning to steal i want to come clean but the crime was ...
  A: Katie- Well, you seem to be on the right path already by feeling so bad and learning a lesson from ...
2nd degree burglary1/31/2011
  Q: some one I know got an accessory to 2nd degree burglary charge they set his bail at 5000 he went in ...
  A: Tilitha- In order to answer this question specifically, we would need more information. However, ...
retail theft1/30/2011
  Q: I stole a piece of luggage from a large chain store. I placed the smaller piece into the bigger ...
  A: Olivia- Not everything is always as it seems in retail theft. You assume they have you on camera - ...
bad check (2)1/29/2011
  Q: A woman stole several checks from me without my knowledge, she wrote them to her boyfriend, he would ...
  A: Beverly, I would suggest discussing this issue with an attorney. If this SC business will not make ...
Connecticut home invasion vs Knoxville Horror1/23/2011
  Q: which crime was worst? if you do not know the crimes look it up, these two crimes have to be the ...
  A: Tony- Not quite sure you can (or would even want to) categorize which of these crimes are the ...
Probation Violation.1/21/2011
  Q: I'm currently on probation in Md, I was arrested in De and let go with 3 fines. I was criminally ...
  A: Jake: I would say that it will once your MD Probation Officer (P.O.) finds out, however, it will ...
crim mis/1000+1/21/2011
  Q: Seq No. Charge Charge Type Disposition 1 CRIM MIS/1000+ FELONY DEF PROSECUTION PGM 2 ...
  A: Benyego: The are common charges and found frequently in states like Florida, New Jersey and others. ...
Shoplifting1/20/2011
  Q: I stole 2 pairs of child's jeans the other day from a department store. No one stopped me before I ...
  A: Quinn: The simple answer is that it would be extremely difficult for them to make a case against ...
Aggravated Assault1/20/2011
  Q: My son is 23 and has resided in Georgia for the past 5 years. He was recently charged with ...
  A: Delores: You have combined several issues into one so we really can't comment specifically and your ...
expungement1/20/2011
  Q: I've lived in NJ my whole life in 1995 I was convicted of 4 counts of robbery as a result of my drug ...
  A: Brian- NJ does offer expungement of criminal records in some cases, but you didn't specifiy what ...
Going to court1/18/2011
  Q: Can you get taken to court or arrested etc. for sending an offensive / abusive e-mail to your school ...
  A: John- We are not that familiar with English Law, but will assume that a 14 yo boy would not be ...
"motion for transport"1/15/2011
  Q: When my son was in the Seminole county jail in Sanford, Florida, another inmate helped him write a ...
  A: Diana- Based on your explanation, we will assume your son has a defense attorney, either retained ...
possession1/15/2011
  Q: I got pulled over n taken to jail for drivin while revoked I asked the officer to roll up my truck ...
  A: Jamie- The Reader's Digest version - yes, he has that right. If you are placed under custodial ...
first degree robbery in Iowa1/14/2011
  Q: Do you know what the penalty is, I'm sure it varies.
  A: Greg: Iowa Penal Code 711.2 defines ROBBERY IN THE FIRST DEGREE if while perpetrating a robbery, ...
I want to go to school to be an homicide detective?1/14/2011
  Q: I want to go to school to be an homicide detective but i really don't know what i would have to do ...
  A: Chantaria- In order to conduct the functions of a "Homicide Detective," more often than not, you ...
statue of limitation on possession of marijuana1/14/2011
  Q: Ok it will be 4 yrs. In march and the police came to my house investigating a robbery and they were ...
  A: Denisha- You present several issues and we really don't have a lot of information to work with. ...
Homocide Detective1/13/2011
  Q: What ALL does it take to become a homicide detective
  A: Jazziiey: All police departments have their own promotional and assignment guidelines, but most ...
life sentence??1/11/2011
  Q: I will try to make this short and to the point. Defendant is being charged in Ca. with TITLE 21, ...
  A: Victoria- We will assume you are referring to Title 18 U.S.C. § 3559(c) which mandates a ...
drug possession1/10/2011
  Q: 18 year old military dependent living in Germany caught with 1gm marijauna what will happen and ...
  A: Kristin- There was a day when any drug conviction could be an automatic disqualification from ...
Criminal Law1/10/2011
  Q: for years ive been searching for my father and found him in nogalez,az. it took me years to find him ...
  A: Ramon- First, we are confused about your Dad's background. Most Cuban refugees from the April 15 ...
rights in a joint land contract1/10/2011
  Q: my girlfriend moved out approximately 2-2 1/2 months ago, bouncing from place to place over this ...
  A: Tim- Our expertise is geared more to criminal issues and law enforcement. We would suggest sending ...
minor1/9/2011
  Q: my grandson is 17 soon to be 18, got into trouble for taking a snowmobile, got arrested and put into ...
  A: Marian- We are not aware of any of the specifics involving your grandson's arrest, but Wisconsin ...
deadbeat dad1/7/2011
  Q: My Ex husband just moved away with no forwarding address and there is now a warrant out for him in ...
  A: Toni, We are based in NJ and can assure you that NJ authorities, as do most law enforcement ...
motion to withdarwl1/6/2011
  Q: i paid my atty. for my 1st dui,then got another have not paid in full for the second one now hes ...
  A: Robert: I am not aware of any instance wherein a Judge allowed an attorney to withdraw from a case ...
off parole early so i can live my life.1/4/2011
  Q: I need advice on how to find the right lawyer and how to do this right. I served 8 years in prison ...
  A: Mr. Evans: As you probably know, "child molesters" never garner much sympathy from either the ...
Extradition1/3/2011
  Q: My husband was arrested in Georgia on a warrant from Ohio. He went in front of a judge 6 calendar ...
  A: Stephanie- The courts rarely give the requesting state a deadline to pick up a defendant, but 20-30 ...
is this an illegal search and seizure12/31/2010
  Q: first of all I'd like to thank you for your time. my concern is for a case i am fighting regarding ...
  A: Morgan- Your rendition of the facts lacks a lot of detail that would help with a more concise ...
Cars broken into12/31/2010
  Q: My friend lives in Indiana. She and her boyfriend each had their cars broken into overnight and ...
  A: Lynnae- If the police catch the ex with any of your friend's property, they will no doubt charge ...
Ex threatening to charge me with theft12/29/2010
  Q: My ex-boyfriend is threatening to press charges for theft and use of stolen property. He has not yet ...
  A: Michelle- Classic domestic dispute. My suggestion would be to call the police and report the ...
Extradition is approved for Pennsylvania only12/28/2010
  Q: I was wondering if someone where to have a warrant out for their arrest in Pennsylvania and it said ...
  A: Erica- Sounds like the warrant is for a minor (petit) crime and the charging jurisdiction in ...
hot checks12/27/2010
  Q: what is the penalty in texas for hot checks that are worth 200 dollars?
  A: Marcus: Not quite sure what you mean by "hot" checks. If you have insufficient funds in the bank ...
mexico interigations12/24/2010
  Q: i am a us citizen and mexico investigators want me to go there to give a statement to them while i ...
  A: Mike- You are correct to be cautious about volunteering to go to a foreign country for ...
Son's failure to comply with Probation12/22/2010
  Q: my son lives in Virginia and has a court date in Jan. for failure to comply with probation. I think ...
  A: Lynda- You son should already have an attorney in Virginia. If he doesn't, he should as for a court ...
question12/22/2010
  Q: how long does the state of pennsylvania have to come get someone while being extradited?
  A: Jaisy- The arrestee is first entitled to an extradition hearing or an opportunity to waive the ...
can i file charges?12/21/2010
  Q: i was told by a person that they would beat me down? i didnt do anyhing at the time but now they ...
  A: Monique- You didn't say what state this was occurring, but in most states, this would be considered ...
Limitations of searches by Probation officers12/17/2010
  Q: I just recently was busted for the possession of Marijuana, and I just found out that my Probation ...
  A: Jae- Different states give different latitude to their parole/probation officers with respect to ...
Underage drinking12/13/2010
  Q: I was wondering, what would happen to someone who just turned 21 drinking with people who are under ...
  A: Michael- Most of your answer depends on what state this occurred and what local ordinances were ...
wrongful imprisonment12/9/2010
  Q: my daughter boyfriend was a roommate to this guy who sold drugs to an agent twice. it was cocaine ...
  A: Rose- You really haven't provided enough facts for us to intelligently answer the question(s) that ...
Harrassment12/4/2010
  Q: I was a partner in a business a few years ago and the business failed after a few years. My silent ...
  A: C- If your ex-partner works for the IRS, she is subject to a very specific Code of Conduct with ...
Verbal threat by teacher12/4/2010
  Q: My son was recently punched by a fellow student off school grounds. The punch was unprovoked and ...
  A: Bill- Depending on the state you reside in, such an assault can be deemed a felony - an assault ...
Public Official12/3/2010
  Q: Is it legal for a public official like a member of city council or board of supervisors to remain in ...
  A: Larry- Several factors would need to be considered about a "public official." First, was this ...
aggravated harrassment12/2/2010
  Q: I live in NY State and have been charged with two seperate counts of aggravated harrassment in the ...
  A: Trisha- Most states have laws in place that protect consumers against annoying or harassing ...
simple possesion/ probabtion12/2/2010
  Q: My friend who I will let remain anonymous at this point called me the other day and asked me this ...
  A: John- Your question is somewhat "choppy" and not very specific, but here goes. If your friend has ...
parole11/30/2010
  Q: If moving from a state with a five year parole tail, what would the expected period of parole be in ...
  A: Michael- As you well know, you can't move from one state to another if you are on parole without ...
Federal / State tax filing & refund check deposited without spousal knowledge / consent11/29/2010
  Q: My inlaws have been separated, but not divorcerd for 20 years. My mother-in-law lives in Europe ...
  A: Thomas- Your father-in-law has either gotten re-married without getting legally divorced thus, ...
Police Questioning11/17/2010
  Q: Tamez, I'm a permanent resident in the U.S. and I've been living there for the past two years, two ...
  A: Franz- First, just because the police wanted to question you doesn't necessarily mean you've been ...
Roommate issues11/17/2010
  Q: I know this is a bit petty and silly but i had a male roommate that just recently moved it. He took ...
  A: Karen, By starting your question the way you did, you probably already know the answer to your ...
Lifetime Statute of Limitations vs Right to Speedy Trial11/16/2010
  Q: My daughter (23) was falsely accused of sexual assault of a 15 y.o. minor (not a "child") in Texas. ...
  A: Diane- First, don't confuse "Statute of Limitations" with Speedy Trial Issues. A "Statute of ...
my 17year old11/15/2010
  Q: my 17 year old daughter is on the run from a warrant she has for larceny she has also ran away form ...
  A: Roxanne- Obviously, your daughter has a lot of issues at a very early age. If the State of Michigan ...
burglary11/14/2010
  Q: My house was broken into twice. I have questions regarding procedures. Why would 2 different ...
  A: Rob: Sounds frustrating but not all that uncommon. You ask several questions so I'll try and do ...
Noise disturbances11/14/2010
  Q: My situation: I live in a town home, in Aurora Colorado. I have a neighbor on an adjoining wall ...
  A: Stephen- You have a couple of options. First, you can check and see if there are any other ...
Probation11/13/2010
  Q: My partner is currently in jail for VIOLATION OF PROBATION, 1ST VIOL. She was on probation for ...
  A: Ashley- There is really not enough information here for me to answer your question specifically ...
time limit11/13/2010
  Q: what is he time limit for the state of ohio to be able to charge a person for a traffic ...
  A: Tracy- You really haven't provided enough information about this particular incident for me to ...
Parol help11/10/2010
  Q: My fiance and the father of my child was convicted of adding and abiding crimal sexual conduct on an ...
  A: Amanda- Your fiance will soon come to realize that all of the post-conviction restrictions, demands ...
help11/10/2010
  Q: i am writhing because my fiancee is currently sitting in otoe county Nebraska after he was arrested ...
  A: Kilynn: You kind of breezed over how the police even knew your boyfriend was sitting in the car ...
Expungement and travel11/7/2010
  Q: I am currently post-adjudication for a Class D Felony of Forgery related to prescriptions. I have ...
  A: Tyler- Most foreign countries will do some type of criminal check for an individual applying for a ...
Is there a statue of limitations on arrest warrants in michigan?11/6/2010
  Q: I was a victim in a road rage in michigan heading to Ohio. I reported incident to Mi St police. ...
  A: Lane: You bring up several issues in your question so I'll try and answer them based on the limited ...
theft?11/5/2010
  Q: I was in Boise Idaho 2 wks ago, while there I went to Target with my sister in law. I used to have a ...
  A: Stephanie- I must confess, I have never heard of a Target Security staff doing any type of ...
federal law11/3/2010
  Q: can a persons brother be held in the same prison in law
  A: Joseph- The U.S. Bureau of Prisons (BOP) has a "general" policy wherein they do not allow ...
Fleeing the scene of an accident11/3/2010
  Q: Tamez, my sister and cousin were involved in an accident. My sister let my cousin (who doesn't have ...
  A: Jim- Based on your name header, shall I assume this incident occurred in Canada? If so, I won't be ...
Criminal Mischief 4th degree11/2/2010
  Q: I was in one of the bathrooms underneath the dining hall just about to leave. The doors to those ...
  A: Matt- First, since this is a criminal case, I would suggest you get an attorney under any ...
Gary Condit testimony in Chandra Levy murder trial...11/2/2010
  Q: Mr. Tamez, When former Congressman Gary Condit took the witness stand in the Chandra Levy trial, he ...
  A: David- An excellent observation on your part and a logical question. You are correct, a witness on ...
Speeding Ticket form error11/1/2010
  Q: I received a speeding ticket in Benton County in the state of Washington. The issue is this: The ...
  A: Spencer: Not sure if you meant that your "Driver's License" is California or your "License Plates" ...
Extradition to Mexico of Naturalized Citizen10/30/2010
  Q: My dad recently got arrested by the Marshalls for a charge under probation violation in Texas. ...
  A: Stephanie- You failed to advise if you Dad was a US citizen. That aside, either way, the answer is ...
neighbor harrassment10/26/2010
  Q: My neighbor took a personal protection order out against my husband and he is following it to a tea. ...
  A: Geri- If I were your husband, I would call the police first. Have them come to your house, explain ...
private question about porn. plz read10/24/2010
  Q: you might not be able to help but I have no idea who to ask. I look at porn.. I guess most people ...
  A: Desirai: I know of no U.S. based pornographic websites that openly display explicit underage sexual ...
employee theft10/23/2010
  Q: if someone works for you and they steal cash from the register they are operating what can they be ...
  A: Kelly- Florida's theft laws are pretty cut and dry. Any theft of property valued at less that $300 ...
Neighbor harrassment10/18/2010
  Q: I have owned a small group of houses for 15 years. The area of town is poor and run down.The ...
  A: Luis: The most logical explanation would be to swear out a compliant against the man with the ...
divorce decree forgery10/16/2010
  Q: iv been separated from my husband physically for 4 years. i havent been able to afford a divorce ...
  A: Julie- Let's assume for the purposes of this response that you husband is formally remarried and ...
promise to appear - police harassment10/15/2010
  Q: My son was given a promise to appear in court sept 8th. My son, lawyer and myself were at court but ...
  A: Tracy- I am surprised that your attorney has allowed this to occur - other than the fact that he's ...
bond reduction10/14/2010
  Q: Does a judge have to give you a bond reduction if you cant afford the original bond? i am in the ...
  A: Areesah- The Reader's Digest version to your question - No. Any state or federal defendant is ...
with holding information from a judge10/12/2010
  Q: if a lawyer sends a motion for a witnesses information to be brought in front of the judge and the ...
  A: Joseph: I am not quite sure exactly what your questions is, but it sounds like a defense attorney ...
10 year old charge10/10/2010
  Q: My fiance is being released from a De.prison in a couple days. He found out when he turned himself ...
  A: Elizabeth: Well, as I read your question, a couple of questions come to mind right away. If your ...
battery ?10/6/2010
  Q: i was really drunk 1 nite out with mates, the taxi driver started arguin with us, i got really ...
  A: Tom- You didn't provide a state that this occurred, but that may not be relevant at this juncture. ...
what happends when ur charged with a violation in ny state10/4/2010
  Q: in ny state if u are charged with harassment in the 2nd-degree and found guilty what happens
  A: Anthony- There are two actually (2) different Harassment Charges (in the 2nd Degree) in New York. ...
felony theft10/4/2010
  Q: Please help me understand the rights of someone accused of felony theft in Texas. The charges were ...
  A: Woodie- The wallet being left behind could be considered lost/abandoned on the employer's property ...
Failure to report an accident10/4/2010
  Q: My son skidded through a stop sign and put his vehicle in a ditch. He walked home and called his ...
  A: Joyce- Not sure of all the details in this case, but shall I assume your son told the Sheriff he ...
penalty for crime10/4/2010
  Q: A few weeks ago while riding on the subway I received a pink summons for illegal handcuff which is ...
  A: Barry- Sec 10-147 makes it unlawful to possess handcuffs, thumb cuffs, leg irons and even flexible ...
Harrasment10/3/2010
  Q: I live in Northern Michigan and I have a neighbor who unfortunately he is my wife's brother. His ...
  A: Tom- Not familiar with a "personal protection order," but will assume it is on par with a ...
Embezzlement10/2/2010
  Q: I am a victim of embezzlement, I entrusted my cash to someone I personally knew but she run away, ...
  A: Mark- Not sure if this offense happened in the United States or abroad. Secondly, I'll proceed ...
third grade felony-retail theft9/30/2010
  Q: I got caught shoplifting at walmart last year for 62.00 paid a fine to the court and to walmart this ...
  A: Susan- You appear to have several things going against you. The first of which, you have a prior ...
Jail Time9/29/2010
  Q: I was sentenced to due 5 weekends in the couty jail for falling behind on my child support. The jail ...
  A: James- There are both state and federal laws that prohibit the "inhumane" treatment of an ...
retrial after sentance and release9/28/2010
  Q: I was convicted of assault and battery and completed sentencing and parole. Not understanding what ...
  A: Kenneth: Reader's Digest version, probably not. The state courts are so backed up, few if any will ...
criminal mischief9/25/2010
  Q: I was sited for criminal mischief in the 5th degree a few weeks ago, for driving on grass that lies ...
  A: Luke- In the state of Iowa, criminal mischief in the 5th degree is a criminal charge you face if ...
tax refund check forgery9/25/2010
  Q: my question is about tax refund check forgery.i live in arkansas.my ex lives in new mexico with my ...
  A: Mike, IRS income tax refund checks are paid by/through the U.S. Treasury - either by direct deposit ...
Civil lawsuit for fingerprints9/23/2010
  Q: My son is 15 years old and was arrested in April 2010 for burglary for which he admitted. He was ...
  A: Sabrina- The Laws of New York Chapter 645 mandates the procedures to be followed in fingerprinting ...
Arrest of illegal immigrant for felony shoplifting8/23/2010
  Q: When an illegal immigrant is arrested for felony shoplifting what is the required police procedure" ...
  A: Mary, As you are probably aware, U.S. Immigration policy/procedures are more and more in the public ...
drug test8/19/2010
  Q: If I failed a drug test for the first time, but had two incomplete urine test(not testable) can my ...
  A: Tese, Each state has different probation policy and procedures, but usually Probation Officers are ...
Can i drop the charges that were pressed on my exboyfriend.8/18/2010
  Q: Me and my exboyfriend got into a argument i locked my self in my parents house he broke in my house ...
  A: Karina- This is one of those things that prompted the saying, "..you can't get that Genie back in ...
domistic violence8/15/2010
  Q: Me and my girlfriend got into agrument on the phone she was at work I was home so I told her I was ...
  A: Shawn- For obvious reasons, these types of "domestic violence" cases are extremely sensitive. ...
law8/15/2010
  Q: ian unknown assailaint walked into my hotel room and opened fire witha shotgun ! i was hit and the ...
  A: Billy- Reader's Digest version - Yes!! As you report the incident, it would appear that the motel ...
probation search8/14/2010
  Q: When a probation search is going to take place at the residence of a level three intensive ...
  A: Jalissa- Each state has their own set of probation/parole search requirements and your question ...
Police SOP and Traffice law in Aurora Colorado8/14/2010
  Q: Today my wife was followed by an officer in a regular patrol car, then after my wife parked her car ...
  A: Stephen: Unfortunately, a majority of traffic violations are based on the word of the reporting ...
Theft by deception8/12/2010
  Q: I got a painting job. I measured all the walls and ceilings and it came to 5000 sqft. I charged ...
  A: Mike: In that you were arrested in this matter, I will assume that you either have a retained or ...
homicide detective8/7/2010
  Q: And what do you have to do to get transfer to another department out of the state you are in?
  A: Andre- You have a ways to go, but I admire your career ambition. To answer your question, in almost ...
Lying To The Police8/4/2010
  Q: I just caught a case for violating a protective order. The neighbors of my girlfriend called the ...
  A: Adam- This sounds like a "he said/she said" type case with you vs. the neighbors. Unfortunately, ...
Nesha8/3/2010
  Q: What does the charges BURGL STRUCT OCCP mean
  A: Nesha- "Burglary of a Structure while Occupied." Simply put, some state law differentiates between ...
I don't know want to do8/3/2010
  Q: my boss hasn't pay me in a month I told him I would go to the department of labor he got anger and ...
  A: Mussie- It's against federal %26 state law to obtain services from an employee without providing ...
Probation Searches8/2/2010
  Q: 5 people live in the same house in CA, 1 of them is on probation. He (the probationer)goes to jail ...
  A: Staci, I answered this previously. The MPM Group, Inc. Disclaimer: The MPM Group is not a law ...
illeagal search8/2/2010
  Q: I am on felony probation and i know that my residence, car and person can be searched by any police ...
  A: Jordan- You left many important issues out, but I'll do the best I can with the facts that you ...
ARRESTED!!!!!8/1/2010
  Q: my older brother was arrested on warrant carges in california for felony vandalism his bail is five ...
  A: Herk: If your brother was arrested in Oregon on a felony warrant issued out of California, the ...
shoplifting in ca.7/27/2010
  Q: i am so very ashamed its beyond me as to why i got myself in this mess. i got caught shoplifting $50 ...
  A: Isabella- Yes, I would, at the minimum, consult with a lawyer. Have him check what you signed with ...
gun rights7/26/2010
  Q: I was convicted of a misdemeanor 4th degree assault/domestic violence in WA in the mid 90's. I was ...
  A: Good Morning: Ordinarily, it takes a felony conviction to prohibit/prevent a person from ever ...
criminal penalties7/20/2010
  Q: In Pa., is there a criminal penalty for allowing an absconder from a court ordered treatment program ...
  A: Good Afternoon: Depending on the person's legal status with the court and/or the specific type of ...
hi7/20/2010
  Q: hi i was wondering what state typically has the shortest sentencing guidelines for property crime or ...
  A: Sir: I have read your comments concerning my response to your question and again wanted clarify my ...
probation drug test NYC7/20/2010
  Q: i have to take my probation drug test tmrw,, i am not worried about passing or failing ,,, been ...
  A: Good Morning: Federal/state drug tests are usually administered through urine samples. Depending ...

All Questions in This Category

Criminal Law

Kevin M. Tamez

Top Expert on this page