Criminal Law/Questions Answered by Expert Jeffrey Hauck

SubjectDate Asked
Gag Hearing2/27/2017
  Q: If you seen your PO and she and you signed a Gag hearing 1 waiver , can she still lock you up like ...
  A: David, Short answer is yes. A Gag 1 hearing is convened to see if a violation occurred. A Gag 2 ...
When the FBI arrests a person for a federal criminal charge12/14/2016
  Q: When the FBI arrests a person for a federal criminal charge, does he go to the US federal bureau of ...
  A: The FBI can work out a deal where the arrestee is held temporarily in a local or county jail until ...
Storage of old case files9/11/2016
  Q: Jeffrey -- Hello there! I understand this is a general question and will vary depending on the part ...
  A: Kitt, I will do my best to answer your questions: 1. The rules are different for each ...
unauthorized picture-taking8/10/2016
  Q: I live in a small town in Oregon. Today I was standing at my back door. The main door was open but ...
  A: Debee, Although the police may be right about the photography if it was the first incident, you ...
If a person wins less4/15/2016
  Q: If a person wins less than $600.00 in gambling is the casino required to give the person W-2G when ...
  A: The answer is no. According to the IRS guidelines a person is required to report gambling winnings ...
Court Records-11/4/2015
  Q: I had been living with my boyfriend (fiancee) for 2 years. We have broken up and I was planning on ...
  A: Diane, Yes, Cook County allows an open search of it's criminal and civil repository. My suggestion ...
Different elements in same statute interpreted with different approaches10/29/2015
  Q: Hey Jeff, Greetings! Do long titles of statute indicate purpose of a statute? Are Defences in ...
  A: Bilal, Sorry for delay. Essentially the answer for each is yes. The statutory interpretation ...
how to ascertain which approach permissible....10/8/2015
  Q: Hey Jeff, Greetings! Whats up ? :). Welcome Back :) Jeff, How can we determine in particular ...
  A: Bilal, Thank you. In resolving ambiguity in the law the process of statutory interpretation is ...
Stalking and Harassment law9/30/2015
  Q: My biological mother keeps snooping and searching the internet for any possible trace of me. She ...
  A: Meghan, There is a lot of information you have left out but the first thing to do is to screen the ...
bench warrant8/30/2015
  Q: I had a misdemeanor in different state in the east coast, under a different name say Jane White. ...
  A: Yael, I don't see any issues with having your name changed back. As you suggest you will be moving ...
Investigative Detainment/Inquiry1/10/2015
  Q: I am referring to the Luis Rodriguez near the Moore theatre in Oklahoma City. Apparently, Luis' wife ...
  A: Gerry The answer to your first question is yes. The differences between an Investigatory Detention ...
Subsidiary rules of Literal rule12/31/2014
  Q: Respected Jeff, Greetings! Happy New year and Belated Merry Christmas. I want to enquire whether ...
  A: Bilal, Thank you for the Christmas and New Year's wishes. I offer the same to you. Yes, they are ...
probation violation10/27/2014
  Q: Jeffery, back in 2005 I was put on deferred probation for 4yrs. In sept 2008 two weeks before my ...
  A: Ro, Sorry for delay. Unfortunately you will always feel like you are being watched and on the run ...
extradtion10/25/2014
  Q: my wife is currently incarcerated who decides her extradition I've just been getting the run around ...
  A: Amanda, Extradition is decided by the court in the jurisdiction where the charges were filed. In ...
child support extradition10/23/2014
  Q: Will Ohio cause extradition for nonpayment of child support?
  A: Robert, A lot depends upon how much is owed in back child-support or arrears. You are dealing with ...
Re9/22/2014
  Q: Respected Sir, Greetings! Hope things good at your end. With due respect, can i ask you a question ...
  A: Bilal, If I am understanding you correctly you will have to work out a course of action for each ...
James Risen's conviction9/3/2014
  Q: James Risen's conviction for withholding his journalist's sources was upheld by the Court of ...
  A: Richard, Currently James Risen is not incarcerated but "As The Post noted in a recent editorial, ...
Court Ordered Breathalyzer 8 Years After DUI7/31/2014
  Q: My girlfriend was convicted of a DUI eight years ago in the state of Michigan. She was in her early ...
  A: David, Either you are withholding a few pieces of the puzzle or this is an extreme overreach by the ...
arraignment -6th ammendment7/9/2014
  Q: I am curious to know if a charge can be dismissed do to "lack of a speedy trial? Back in december I ...
  A: Susan, Sorry for the delay. The "speedy trial rule" actually attaches when the arrest process ...
warrants6/19/2014
  Q: What would be the recourse for a judge in a small town giving a warrant to the building inspector to ...
  A: Stephan, The recourse would be to file a motion for an order under Code of Civil Procedure staying ...
False Statement5/27/2014
  Q: The other night my roommate and I got into a fight and I called the police and told them that she ...
  A: Emily, That is quite a predicament. You should tell the police officer exactly what you are ...
Legal options against possible harassment5/20/2014
  Q: I'm in Illinois and am trying to find out if there are any legal measures I can take against someone ...
  A: Mal, Off the top of my head the answer is maybe. It sounds like they are actively protesting in an ...
Question re law law episode5/17/2014
  Q: I watched an La Law episode in which a black family made a civil suit for damages against the ...
  A: Geoff, First and foremost remember that all of U.S. television is created not such much for ...
Criminal vs Civil4/29/2014
  Q: Long story short, back in 2001-2002'ish I had a roommate who decided to help herself to my checkbook ...
  A: Kristy, This can be a difficult question to answer as it evokes many fears. However, it is my ...
Extradition - Texas4/26/2014
  Q: We have a dilemma here. A young man I know was arrested this past week by Anderson County on a ...
  A: DeeDee, This is truly a sad incident. To answer your questions, no you should not wait in ...
Criminal Summons/Charges4/12/2014
  Q: I have just received a letter requesting my appearance at the local police department (within the ...
  A: Eric, The two charges are representative of the theft and the conspiracy to commit the theft. The ...
Texas-adult bullying/harassment4/11/2014
  Q: Without going into over 10 years of details, here are the highlights: Person H buys large amounts of ...
  A: G., The best course of action I could recommend which could provide relief is to begin to gather ...
computer forensics & criminal case4/9/2014
  Q: Mr. Hauck, I have a general question that I was hoping I could get your legal expertise on. It is ...
  A: Lou, Hypothetically speaking: Some Defense questions- 1. How did the USB find its way into the ...
fight dom violence, batt4/2/2014
  Q: Are there forms that will help fight against Dom/battery charges i can fill out and turn in myself ...
  A: Richie, The clerk of court and/or your county law library can assist you in obtaining the necessary ...
dom/batt motion4/2/2014
  Q: do you need a layer to help fight against dom/battery, or can you obtain the propper forms yourself ...
  A: Richie, No. You have the right to represent yourself. The clerk of court and/or your county law ...
Criminal Confession4/2/2014
  Q: Hauck, I have a question about criminal offenses that I was hoping you could give me your insight ...
  A: Lou, This could go two ways. If the suspect truly wants to put everything behind him and start ...
arrested and charged3/18/2014
  Q: A place where i use to work have made allegations against me of theft, about 3 weeks later i got a ...
  A: Phillip, I am not a close student of UK law, but i will do my best. I am not sure exactly what ...
Probation violation3/8/2014
  Q: In 2009 i was placed on 2 years felony probation in illinois but i had it transfered to arkansas. ...
  A: Ashleigh, The problem lies with the fact that you still have an outstanding warrant and were not ...
Non Probabtion person living with brother on probabtion2/19/2014
  Q: So my brothers been in and out of jail for 15+ years and he lives with my family right now and I'm ...
  A: John, In short the answer is yes. Your brother entered into what is essentially a contract with ...
prosecuting juveniles2/12/2014
  Q: What are the arguments for and the arguments against prosecuting juveniles as adults when they ...
  A: Rudy, In the simplest of terms the arguments against prosecuting juveniles as adults when they ...
Farrow/Allen Question2/8/2014
  Q: You may think my question is very silly, but I'm sincerely curious about how it might apply in New ...
  A: Elizabeth, In light of Mia's statement Woody Allen could attempt to obtain a DNA sample from Ronan. ...
Sensitivity over past events2/8/2014
  Q: I guess you'll think I'm being stupid but I have for a day or two been feeling sensitive about ...
  A: Lizzie, You sound completely normal. I don't think you have done anything criminal. If have anger ...
Not permitted to enter "no contest" plea?1/30/2014
  Q: Are there situations/offenses where you may only plead guilty or not guilty? A college student ...
  A: Brooke, The reason is because the charge of public drunkenness and public urination are probably ...
jury summons question1/30/2014
  Q: I received a jury summons, and on the form they ask if 'you ever have been involved in a court ...
  A: Lee, I advise doing the right thing. It is not to have a "clean" jury so to speak. That is nearly ...
admissibility of gruesome photographs at trail1/30/2014
  Q: What are the law(s) on the admissibility of gruesome photographs of the bodies of murder victims at ...
  A: Rudy, The Federal Rules of Evidence (and similar State rules) control this issue under FRE Section ...
crime and punishment1/28/2014
  Q: Here are the questions: Your opinion on how crime relates to rights and responsibilities? How the ...
  A: Kari, 1. Crime relates to rights and responsibilities under Western morals, mores, and values in a ...
Cyberstalking1/19/2014
  Q: Mr. Hauck first I'd like to thank you for your time. Back in October 2013 my friend/neighbor ...
  A: Bonnie, Let me start out by agreeing with you that yes, this is a very unfortunate incident. If I ...
eyewitness identification1/17/2014
  Q: What are the possible causes of mistaken eyewitness identification and some real case examples?
  A: Rudy, The possible causes for mistaken identification are numerous. Psychological problems, time, ...
Internet images and copyright infringements1/1/2014
  Q: Is it punishable or criminal to use someone else's drawing/picture from a site like Deviantart as a ...
  A: Mika, In terms of using it as a profile picture I think you would be fine in doing it if you are ...
big mess!11/30/2013
  Q: Id like to thank you for your help in advance! I have a an old high school friend and who I have ...
  A: Melissa, The short answer is yes, a new warrant can be issued. I am not sure what the prison time ...
Arrest Warrent Rights11/26/2013
  Q: An arrest warrant was issued for my failure to appear in court over a traffic ticket, a different ...
  A: Alexis, No you are not obligated to open your door. They can knock for a reasonable time but then ...
Argument by Analogy could be deductively valid?11/22/2013
  Q: Respected Jeffrey, Greetings! Hope things good at your end.I just came across this intricate ...
  A: Bilal, Analogical reasoning is extremely common, both in philosophy as well as in more ordinary ...
Liability For Candle as Gifts11/15/2013
  Q: With the holiday season approaching, I was thinking of giving a couple of small children a candle as ...
  A: Elizabeth, I am sure the gifts would be fine. I am not sure how many small children need or use ...
License Not required in US for noncommercial traveling11/14/2013
  Q: Not entirely sure if this is the best place for this, but it seems best suited. Recently I've been ...
  A: Evan, Your research has not let you down. If you are walking on the side of the roadways you ...
Jury Duty10/31/2013
  Q: This may sound like a very silly question, but I had to call to see if I had to report to the court ...
  A: Jaylee, What that means is that at least for the beginning of the trial you are not needed to ...
Request for Discovery for a speeding ticket10/26/2013
  Q: I received a speeding ticket a month ago - and I was not speeding. I want to request for discovery ...
  A: Susan, Yes, your statement is reasonable and complete. Without oversimplifying it, that is exactly ...
gal bill10/22/2013
  Q: i haven't paid the full balance for the gal in a custody battle when i left the state of Missouri. i ...
  A: Matthew, I am doubtful that Missouri will extradite for a civil fee of $1495.00, but who knows. I ...
what are my rights when it comes to probation?10/18/2013
  Q: can an officer enter my home on a probation search with out a probation officer present? two people ...
  A: Linda, Yes, it can be done, and no. It is not harassment. Unfortunately this area of the law has ...
stolen property9/28/2013
  Q: I live in a small town (13,000) in the middle of MO with what looks to be a corrupt police ...
  A: John, My suggestion would be to contact the District Attorney's Office in your County. Many times ...
letting my son steer vehicle on my lap9/1/2013
  Q: Could I go to jail or is it a felony for allowing my 8 year old son to steer the car while sitting ...
  A: Holly, I really don't think so. What the Officer was most likely considering is the fact that your ...
civil rights8/29/2013
  Q: I have been denied for services from Arizona long term care services and I have disagree with the ...
  A: Jeffrey, You must start at the State level. If benefits or services were denied, and you want to ...
Riding Dirty...8/6/2013
  Q: My wife's son (from first marriage) was recently pulled over and a firearm was located in his locked ...
  A: Jason, The entire issue will turn on whether the handgun is registered to the girlfriend, or to ...
coercion and threat on a minor7/10/2013
  Q: Mr. Hauck, My 14 year old daughter I believe is being coerced and possibly threatened into staying ...
  A: Steven, Unfortunately this type of behavior does not rise to the level of criminal coercion. The ...
Appeal affect Parole6/20/2013
  Q: How does filing for an appeal (sexual assault conviction) affect your chances for early parole? For ...
  A: Nicole, From my research I have found no statute, procedure, or rule that would penalize you from ...
Harassment5/4/2013
  Q: I have been sick since I was about 13. I would not leave my house much to make a long story short. I ...
  A: Raul, No, in my opinion you have not committed a crime. Perhaps she was offended for some reason. ...
Lease Dodging5/2/2013
  Q: Good evening, My ex-roommate picked up and left to Charleston, South Carolina. His name is still on ...
  A: Andrew, With only a month and a-half left it might be easier and cheaper just to suck it up and ...
Marijuana citation in Maryland3/30/2013
  Q: So, the other day, I was driving home from the store and noticed a lot of police cars driving around ...
  A: Delmar, From what you tell me there is a good chance for the citation to be dismissed. I am not ...
Drug charge3/29/2013
  Q: So my boyfriend was arrested after a traffic stop. And was then charged with drug possions. And has ...
  A: Tiffany, The answer is yes. Under the "speedy trial" clause of the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. ...
Unanimous Vs. Majority Verdicts3/28/2013
  Q: What are the advantages and disadvantages of a majority verdict? What are the advantages and ...
  A: Jordan, This is a broad question so I will give you examples from the U.S. Supreme Court which you ...
440 motion2/28/2013
  Q: I was convicted and served over 2 years in prison for criminal possession of a weapon. At the time ...
  A: Rob, Yes, I think you should retain the services of a reputable criminal defense attorney and ...
arrest2/21/2013
  Q: if police find drugs in hotel and you are not there and someone is in room they arrest you after you ...
  A: Kim, The answer is no. Under the myriad of state and federal laws (to include the USA PATRIOT ...
Receipt of harassing/anonymous letters2/15/2013
  Q: With out going into too much detail, and I will be happy to provide any info you'd like, I have ...
  A: Kathy, I suppose it depends upon the nature of the letters. If they are threatening in nature to ...
probation detainer2/14/2013
  Q: is there a bond if you have a detainer?
  A: Sheila, There could be. Regardless, if you have a detainer, you cannot get out of jail by paying ...
Harrassment2/5/2013
  Q: So my boyfriend and his ex broke up a little over a year ago... Ever since she has been calling me ...
  A: Ethan, The only thing you can do is to document what type of harassment you have been subjected to ...
Queries1/31/2013
  Q: I was watching an old Columbo episode and was wondering what would happen in real life. Basically, ...
  A: Geoff, First, it depends on whether the brother dies with a will (testate) or without a will ...
Falsified Receipt for Reimbursement1/23/2013
  Q: My ex sent me copies of medical receipts for our son. On one of the receipts she tried erasing the ...
  A: Robert, Yes, you should definitely take your evidence and have it documented as a formal complaint ...
Jury Size Felony1/15/2013
  Q: Is it possible for a jury (in Florida) to consist of 6 jurors for a felony trial? If so, how common ...
  A: Rob, Florida, like most states, routinely uses juries of only six members. The exception is for ...
Employee theft1/5/2013
  Q: My employer is conducting an internal investigation for sometime now, which rumors around the ...
  A: Maria, Unfortunately for you the answer is yes. If they are accusing you to avoid being terminated ...
Sentenced in Federal Court under wrong name1/4/2013
  Q: Is this legal? Federal judge sentenced me under the wrong (assumptive) name. During sentencing the ...
  A: BW, The answer is maybe. It seems that the Prosecutor and Judge are convinced that you used a ...
What is the form to over turn a case and should I report lawyer12/24/2012
  Q: I would like to know what is the form needed or the steps to take in the process to get a case ...
  A: Margie, The process to have a case reopened or overturned is arduous but can be done. In CA you ...
Expungment11/17/2012
  Q: I was charged with a misdemeanor federal crime almost six years ago. I was sentenced to a three year ...
  A: Lindsay, Yes, you have met all of the requirements for an expungement. Now you can petition the ...
shoplifting11/4/2012
  Q: My son was just arrested for shoplifting in N.C. at a retail store. He apparently was viewed ...
  A: John, The short answer is yes. Loss prevention officers can detain a customer for suspected ...
trespass arrest11/2/2012
  Q: my 20 yr old son has an open case has been arrested once no other record.Here is the situation his ...
  A: Mary, Yes, you should consult an attorney (or try to do it by yourself (pro se)) and file a habeas ...
re informing relatives of homicide11/1/2012
  Q: If there has been a murder, please can you tell me the correct procedure for telling relatives. If ...
  A: Dawn, The act of death notification by police is a heavy burden and a necessary but unwelcome task. ...
search and seizure10/24/2012
  Q: A.) Should each exhibit represent one item of evidence located during a search, (besides things like ...
  A: Chantal, A. Yes. B. Not necessarily, but it is helpful for the police to corroborate what was ...
research for novel10/21/2012
  Q: I'm a writer: (dawnkennedywriter.com) and currently researching for a crime novel that I'm writing. ...
  A: Dawn, It is common practice for a family to hire a licensed private detective/investigator for that ...
probation question10/19/2012
  Q: I want to find out if someone on felony probation, having search and seizure and is raided but is ...
  A: Margie, Generally if probation ends without infractions then the probationer is released by ...
Is this misuse?10/13/2012
  Q: I have been paying child support since 2004 then I got laid off and got behind and owe arrears,but ...
  A: Greg, The answer is yes. You can petition your local court for a modification of child support. ...
Breaking probation10/11/2012
  Q: My ex-wife wife was put on probation with six months jail time suspended in Maryland for the theft ...
  A: Joshua, That is usually not the case. If that did occur, and I have no reason to doubt you, it was ...
Harassment10/10/2012
  Q: I am being accused by a co-workers spouse of adultery. She hacked into her husband phone and found a ...
  A: Denise, The answer is yes, it is harassment. You could look at obtaining a protection order from ...
Juvenile record as an adult?10/5/2012
  Q: my BF was charged (and convicted) last year with GM terrostic threats, there was a no contact order ...
  A: Dawn, The answer is yes, but the prosecution must receive permission from the Court to do so. It ...
entering a home after complaint10/4/2012
  Q: the neighbors/soon to be ex called the police about disturbing the peace at my house, my soon to be ...
  A: Jennifer, This is a answer that turns on whether you and your husband are legally separated. If ...
discrepency on an arrest warrant9/19/2012
  Q: I have two charges, two different warrants but the dates of the offense are wrong. infact the dates ...
  A: Chris, You can try to dispute the charges on technical grounds but the Judge will most likely allow ...
criminal code9/13/2012
  Q: Why shouldn't the Constitution include an overall criminal code specifying crimes and punishments ...
  A: Jelisa, The U.S. Constitution (and the first 10 Amendments known as the Bill of Rights) was never ...
Trespassing9/8/2012
  Q: I'm 17 years old and I was picked up by the state police for trespassing on government property that ...
  A: Kevin, It does not seem that you were arrested or processed. If you were not fingerprinted that is ...
Shoplifting9/5/2012
  Q: I was caught shoplifting in New Haven, CT at a shop rite store. A security guard who watches the ...
  A: Kavaughn, The answer is no, it will not go on your record and will not be prosecuted unless you do ...
Incarceration papers7/31/2012
  Q: I am currently on house arrest in Tn.Actually it ended on June 23,2012 and I asked to stay for the ...
  A: Banzie, An Incarceration Order is generated if you were to fail any part of the probation program. ...
need help for college major7/29/2012
  Q: Sir, i know your a busy person but if you could get back to me that would mean a lot, i am currently ...
  A: Jonathan, You should find a college or university that offers Criminal Justice as a major (and they ...
Speedy Trial7/26/2012
  Q: Deft has federal warrant out of PA, is arrested in Florida, has initial appearance there, does his ...
  A: Carlos, Good question. The "speedy trial" rule in your scenario is triggered on the date of ...
minor asaulting a minor7/13/2012
  Q: can we press any charges on the minor , my son was attacked in school time , the person as been ...
  A: Tracey, I am not versed in UK law but I would imagine that your local constabulary would ...
Expungement7/5/2012
  Q: My son was arrested 5 years ago at age 18 for murder. During the preliminary hearing a witnessed ...
  A: Shell, The quick answer is yes. It is a quasi-expungement where you need to have the actual arrest ...
Harassing disabled person6/26/2012
  Q: I live inapartments and have a disabled son who uses a wheel chair. We park in a handicapped spot ...
  A: Robert, Unfortunately this is a very delicate matter and I want to be careful with my advice ...
dui6/22/2012
  Q: my mother is being held in atlantic county on a dui bench warrant from 1999 in bucks county she is ...
  A: Alicia, As I understand your question New Jersey is the asylum state holding your mother as a ...
Texas anticrime law6/19/2012
  Q: Hauck, I have heard about some crazy laws that have been passed in Texas. One was a law that ...
  A: Luis, Sorry for the delay in response. I researched this law and even through Lexis I found ...
Probation6/11/2012
  Q: I am on felony probation in the State of Michigan and I was thinking, is there a way I can do jail ...
  A: Ryan, The Holmes Youth Training Act is a piece of Michigan legislation allowings a judge to avoid ...
length of time6/9/2012
  Q: .in 2007 i was arrested in houston and the charge was fleeing. to make a long story short, i have a ...
  A: James, The statute you are referring to is listed below. You were most likely convicted of a Class ...
Opened mail6/1/2012
  Q: I selected your name due to your experience, but also for your military service. *Thank you* I ...
  A: Renee, The federal statute that applies to this situation is 18 USC Section 1702. This statute is ...
Bail Jumping5/31/2012
  Q: I am 5 years sober and cleaning up wreckage from my past. I got picked up for a 16year old warrant ...
  A: Danielle, When you are released from jail pending a future court date, you are expected to return. ...
What do I do?5/15/2012
  Q: Hey Jeff.. So recently (about a month ago), we got broken into. There was no evidence to prove ...
  A: Andrew, You definitely have grounds to complain. The entire nature of a patrol is for them to ...
Question regarding potential fraud5/2/2012
  Q: I have a question regarding whether or not something constitutes fraud. Let's say hypothetically ...
  A: Adam, Your question has an easy answer. It is fraud and a criminal act in each scenario you ...
tricky one4/30/2012
  Q: ok,i had warrants in florida while living in pennsylvania. the warrants in florida are from 2008. i ...
  A: Adam, In the situation that you are in you are actually bound by the laws of the last State which ...
2nd dergree harassment4/21/2012
  Q: how serious is this offense.. i've been convicted on 2 counts paid $200 fine for each as according ...
  A: Michael, Harassment in the second degree means a pattern of intentional, substantial, and ...
Probation Violation4/17/2012
  Q: I'm on FL state probation for a charge which got dropped down to a battery,back in March I absconded ...
  A: Mike, My best advice is to contact the warrant issuing jurisdiction (the DA) and begin to work out ...
Peace Order hearing4/11/2012
  Q: Is it ever decided at a Peace Order hearing to just go ahead a file criminal charges and to arrest ...
  A: It is a fairly easy process to have the Court consider the petition. However a judge must be ...
Is the “Provisional Irish Republican Army” on the U.S. State Department list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations, yes or no?4/5/2012
  Q: Is the “Provisional Irish Republican Army” on the U.S. State Department list of Foreign Terrorist ...
  A: iodea@inboxalias.com, The answer is yes. From my research the PIRA is still recognized as being a ...
handyman issues4/3/2012
  Q: Mr. Hauck, I reside in Illinois. How long the statue of limitation is for me to go to a small ...
  A: LB, My understanding is that the statute of limitations for a written contract is 10 years – see ...
Inaccurate sentence4/3/2012
  Q: My friend and his cousin are both serving 170 days minus time off for good behavior. (They were both ...
  A: Anna, The quick answer is no. An attorney does not need to be hired to fix the counting mistake. ...
probation search4/2/2012
  Q: A girlfriend of mine, who was not living with me but had some of her stuff, bags of clothes, ...
  A: Grady, I think you need to consult a practicing lawyer in your area on this matter. The way I see ...
Theft3/23/2012
  Q: Lets say someone you know kept your bag while you used the wash room for 2-3mins, your phone and ...
  A: Victoria, The answer is yes. That woman was the only other person who exercised dominion and ...
THANKS!3/19/2012
  Q: in 2007 I stole something while in a fraternity on a drunken treasure hunt. It was a felony and I ...
  A: Brian, There was a time when employers used a time frame to determine eligibility based upon ...
Driving without a license3/14/2012
  Q: Two young men aged 21 & 19 went to pick up a friend who was getting released from the hospital at ...
  A: Michele, The answer is yes, the 21 year old can contest the citation. Chances are he most likely ...
class a misdeminer3/4/2012
  Q: I received in the mail the other day a crimanal summons saying i have to appear in court on a ...
  A: Sondra, I agree with your lawyer. You should most likely no go to jail. You will likely be ...
What does "fugitive arrest without warrant" mean?3/2/2012
  Q: I got word that my son (originally from Massachusetts) has been arrested in San Diego, California ...
  A: Anne, The answer is yes. You are correct. He is being held because of an outstanding warrant for ...
probation violation 10 year old2/26/2012
  Q: i was sentence to an 18 month probation in2002 for violating a restraining order but i moved out of ...
  A: Luis, Your status probably changed to an inactive warrant status. That means that the authorities ...
Role of the police in the judicial process (outside the courtroom)10/19/2011
  Q: I was wondering what the role of the police in the judicial process is outside the courtroom. I ...
  A: Robert, I cannot say regarding the UK system, but here in the United States police have no role ...
new charges while on probation10/15/2011
  Q: my son is or was on probation. He now has a new charge of theft by unlawful taking. with new charges ...
  A: Wanda, The new charge is serious as your son has violated the conditions of his probation on two ...
Statute of Limitations retail theft illinois10/15/2011
  Q: I never went to court regarding the issue how can i have this matter remove ? is there an ststue of ...
  A: Diane, There is no statute of limitation per se, however you can petition the Court to expunge your ...
harrassing texts10/3/2011
  Q: my boyfriend and I had a falling out with a couple because they use drugs, and are trying to shove ...
  A: Amy, Request copies of the text messages you have been receiving from your cellular telephone ...
parole vs, free time9/24/2011
  Q: When you hear about someone who "got four years off for good time." Does that mean he got parole or ...
  A: Steve, Usually it means that a person has been paroled as a result. Time off in many states now is ...
EQUAL RIGHTS9/22/2011
  Q: Can it be argued that government has “gone too far” by requiring all people to be treated equally?
  A: Violet, The answer is yes. An argument can be crafted for any issue. Let me play "The Devil's ...
Dropping a Fugitive Warrant9/19/2011
  Q: My brother has some old warrants in Portland, Or. He was recently here visiting my father who was ...
  A: Teresa, That is exactly right. If Oregon will not come and get him then CA will have to release ...
WARRANTS.9/15/2011
  Q: DO TRAFFIC WARRANTS IN MARYLAND HAVE A STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS? IF NOT, AFTER HOW MANY YEARS DOES A ...
  A: Tamika, A lot depends upon the jurisdiction. Some warrants stay active on the "books" for years. ...
Clean my record9/12/2011
  Q: I live in Texas and when I was 16 I got caught with marijuana possession for 3.3 grams. I recieved ...
  A: Cris, Your juvenile record should have been sealed. You should contact a criminal defense attorney ...
death threats9/7/2011
  Q: I wanted to know if that is illegal ? what are my rights as the victim...he has abused me in the ...
  A: Shannon, No, death threats are not legal. Begin taking his threats seriously and notify your local ...
Harassment9/2/2011
  Q: I have a neighbor who has harassed me and my wife since we moved here. First she told my wife that ...
  A: Robert, Take the following steps. Every time she subjects you to harassment notify the police to ...
simple misdemeanors expunged8/23/2011
  Q: 6 years ago i made a few mistakes and wrote a couple of bad checks. i paid the fines to the courts. ...
  A: Jeremy, If the charges and punishments are at their final disposition(s) you should hire an ...
Family conflict8/18/2011
  Q: Hauck, Thank you for providing this service on All-Experts. I apologize in advance for the long ...
  A: Deborah, My suggestion would be to have the elderly man at the center of this issue hire an ...
Impersonation via E-mail: Illegal?8/14/2011
  Q: What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. My sister's ex-boyfriend is sending e-mails ...
  A: Jaime, Yes. Your sister is the victim of cyber-crime(s). Usually cyber crimes can be prosecuted ...
Old high school bully returns8/11/2011
  Q: By the way I was a military policeman and a correctional specialist,(stockade guard)from 1972-1974. ...
  A: Stephen, I would have him arrested. Contact the local police who cover the jurisdiction at the ...
Motion to transfer8/4/2011
  Q: Mr. Hauck, My wife is incarcerated in Martin Cty. Fl. She has been sentenced to serve time in ...
  A: Thomas, I think that your wife needs to file a form of "Habeas Corups" by herself (pro se) and ...
criminal history/background checks8/1/2011
  Q: I would like some information on how your criminal history is reflected during background checks in ...
  A: Erica, Your husband's criminal history will show exactly what and how you just explained it. It ...
Hacking7/27/2011
  Q: In The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Lisbeth Salander hacks a tycoon's personal computer and ...
  A: Dave, I claim ignorance in that I have not read the book or have seen the movie. However please be ...
Assault in the 3rd in Oregon7/25/2011
  Q: Forewarning, this is going to be long. So there were 6 of us and we went to a store to buy some ...
  A: Melissa, Seeing that some of your group has already plead guilty to the charges, the only thing you ...
Probation violation?7/24/2011
  Q: A family member was arrested 2 months ago for simple battery after a fight with his live in ...
  A: Rebecca, I would recommend that your son cease all contact with the girlfriend and obtain a no ...
Theft 5th degree7/23/2011
  Q: I found out through a background check that I had a theft 5th degree charge on me. I looked online ...
  A: Lorie, It might show that you were charged, but that is all. If you settle with your complainant ...
whoops7/18/2011
  Q: My boyfriend just got out of jail and is currently on probation for drugs/alcohol violation in PA. ...
  A: Erica, The PA probation officer will not be notified automatically of the traffic violations. If ...
how long can county hold for another county7/16/2011
  Q: In Oklahoma if someone has bonded out and is being held by the arresting county for another county ...
  A: Geleta, That person can be held until extradition to the new county jail is effected and it does ...
Does Civil Litigation affect Criminal Probation?7/15/2011
  Q: I am curious to know that if while on probation in the state of Indiana, if you get a seatbelt ...
  A: Shianne, No. It is not a technical nor a new criminal violation for a seatbelt ticket. A small ...
PTRP2 = jailable7/14/2011
  Q: My husband got arrested for a PTRP2. The violation was for driving into a jail parking lot, TURNING ...
  A: Jill, I have heard of many Petition To Revoke Probation violations but this one has to have more ...
Homicide Detective7/11/2011
  Q: I am 17 and i graduate high school next year. Could you please tell me what steps i should take ...
  A: Dylan, The simplest, most practical advice I can give you is for you to attend college and graduate ...
absconding from Ohio7/7/2011
  Q: I have a friend who is several months into a 2-year misdemeanor probation in Ohio for a DUI (second ...
  A: Cindy, I am not sure what state you live in but it is possible that you could be charged with ...
Lawyers' Opening Statements7/7/2011
  Q: Although this question arose in my mind during a very recent trial, it is not about that trial. I am ...
  A: Frank, That is an excellent question. Every State along with the Federal Court System has a set of ...
Warrent7/2/2011
  Q: Question- if someone has a speeding ticket from june 2003...have been in custody several times with ...
  A: Judi, A $3000 security bond for a speeding ticket seems a little harsh. What probably happened is ...
Union County, Ohio probation hold, no charges filed6/30/2011
  Q: My son was arrested June 13, 2011 by a Delaware County Ohio Sheriff's deputy and jailed. My son was ...
  A: Walter, It sounds like the system was moving slowly to catch up with the new charges your son was ...
dwi with body injury with more than 1 dwi6/29/2011
  Q: if you are on parole and you have more than dwi and you have a wreck and you injury someone and you ...
  A: Dora, This question is hard to answer without knowing all of the details. Based on prior ...
unfiled reports6/24/2011
  Q: How long do unfilled police reports last and this is cause a friend left his exgirlfriends and took ...
  A: Rob, There is no such thing as an un-filed report. There is only evidence and information that ...
Assault and Battery at School4/13/2011
  Q: I am in the ninth grade and when i came home from school today my brother had this painful look in ...
  A: Kayla, The answer is that your brother should contact law enforcement and report the incident ...
Miranda Rights4/13/2011
  Q: A State Dept. of Labor investigator asked me to participate in an interview concerning a specific ...
  A: Kenny, I am not sure, but I imagine that if you were read your Miranda Warnings or "rights" while ...
Criminal Record4/11/2011
  Q: The other night I was walking home intoxicated, and I was stopped by the police. They asked for ID ...
  A: Doug, I am not thoroughly versed in Canadian law by any stretch but as a former LEO I can ...
probation4/11/2011
  Q: I was put on probation for petty larceny and i finished everything that was required of me. My ...
  A: Brennan, If your PO told you that you are done with your program then you probably are even if you ...
statue of limitation on traffic tickets4/5/2011
  Q: Recently I was released from prison after serving 17 and a half years. Two months before I was ...
  A: Uly, Generally unpaid traffic citations that result in the issuance of a warrant or warrants will ...
Extradition and Lost time4/3/2011
  Q: My girlfriend was on parole in Iowa and left the state (on the run)to Texas. Iowa came and got her ...
  A: Heather, The Iowa "Speedy Trial" law is 90 days. That is the time frame with which they can hold ...
is it possible4/1/2011
  Q: Can to people be tried and convicted of the same crime. for example "grand theft auto".
  A: Jonny, Yes. If two more people worked together so as to perpetrate a crime they could be charged ...
Filing a motion pro se3/31/2011
  Q: My attorney abruptly withdrew in the middle of a municipal court proceeding, and the judge has ...
  A: Rick, Your best option then is to use Google or some other search engine to look for the exact ...
Probation officer boundaries3/30/2011
  Q: My boyfriend and I live in his grandparents home. Since I lost my job I have been unable to gain ...
  A: Ilyssa, Unfortunately the probation officer is not overstepping the boundaries of her authority. ...
Simple Misdemeanor in Iowa for Shoplifting (First offender)3/29/2011
  Q: I was recently arrested and given a citation for a simple misdemeanor for shoplifting. I'm 22 years ...
  A: John, It appears you have been charged with theft of the fifth degree which is punishable as a ...
Pennsylvania Police3/29/2011
  Q: I was jumped by two women (because i spoke to one of their husbands) when i was leaving a bar with a ...
  A: Laura, Unfortunately you are now in a position where you have to defend yourself. If the police ...
benchwarrants3/24/2011
  Q: Know sumone who has bench warrants for a probation violation in pensylvania the original charge was ...
  A: Steve, This is going to be a short answer but the the way I imagine it is that it depends upon the ...
Trespassing3/23/2011
  Q: My Father in-law recently moved in with my husband and I and our 2 kids. He left a very potentially ...
  A: Stephanie, The answer (in most states) is that the woman should never had been allowed to have ...
sex offender3/20/2011
  Q: My son, 13 yrs old, has been charged with sexual assault on an adult by touching her private parts. ...
  A: Ricky, Unless he is being charged as an adult he will be processed through your State's respective ...
Charge of Recieving stolen property3/19/2011
  Q: I was very sick and didn't argue when my ex husband insisted I use my ID to sell some things that I ...
  A: Jeanne, You are in a tough position. Just because they did not come for you to effect the ...
Courtroom Preparation for Federal LEOs3/16/2011
  Q: Mr. Hauck, Thank you for any assistance you're able to provide. I am a training officer for a ...
  A: JC, This is a very broad question. In my opinion testifying is testifying whether in a state court ...
warrant3/15/2011
  Q: My son was on probation in one state and he ran to a different state. To make a long story short he ...
  A: Lyndsay, What you might be confusing is an arrest warrant and the issue of bail. Bail is the ...
class x felon released to home on parole3/12/2011
  Q: Can a Class X felon of child abuse not sexual be released to someone who has adopted child in ...
  A: Cheryl, The answer is yes, as long as the home conditions are approved by the paroling authority. ...
Marijuana Drug Paraphernalia3/11/2011
  Q: My question is what should I be expecting from this charge. I admitted to a glass pipe with ...
  A: Zach, Much depends upon the State that you were arrested in but generally for young people in your ...
Criminal contempt3/10/2011
  Q: Good afternoon, I have a couple of questions. First, my husband (whom I am still in divorce court ...
  A: Pamela, In most states "contempt" is the violation of a valid order of a court. If an alimony payor ...
harrassment3/4/2011
  Q: is there a limit of indemnify i suffer severe mental illness he called me on phone every day he ...
  A: Helen, You have not provided me with much information but the answer to your question is probably ...
shoplifting3/1/2011
  Q: daughter caught shoplifting. returned items to security guard. was given arrest warrant by police. ...
  A: Amanda, The answer as I see it is no. The store had the ability to request restitution for damages ...
I lied to the cops so they would not take me10/28/2010
  Q: My boyfriend & I got in to a big fight.he was laying on me,I clawed his face he,then said he was ...
  A: Amber, It most likely will not make any difference at this point. Incidents like yours are common ...
complaint filing error10/26/2010
  Q: Hey there, I have a complaint for criminal mischief as I bumped a car with my hip and it made a ...
  A: EJ, Yes you are correct. The police/prosecution will simply amend the complaint at the hearing. ...
Illegal Search Warrants10/23/2010
  Q: I live in CA, was arrested on & had my home searched on a search warrant last year that was dated ...
  A: Patricia, You are correct. According to CA law a search warrant that is issued but not executed ...
car deposit10/21/2010
  Q: can criminal charges be filed against someone for trying to sell a vehicle they already accepted a ...
  A: Tracey, The answer is no. However they can be sued civilly for specific performance to sell the ...
Early Release10/21/2010
  Q: I am on Parole from the state of Wisconsin and currently living in Illinois. My agent here is for me ...
  A: TJ, Here is the criteria for early release in Wisconsin: ...
personal injury10/21/2010
  Q: During an assault the perpetrator is injured seriously. Who is libel for his injury, his victim or ...
  A: Bill, This answer can be quite involved and lengthy depending upon where the assault was committed ...
question about laws in michigan10/20/2010
  Q: what is the law for someone stealing 120.00 from a store when i know the person didnt do it but is ...
  A: Brett, Michigan has three degrees of retail fraud: 1st Degree ($1,000 or more stolen; or 2nd ...
criminal law10/19/2010
  Q: A few weeks ago while riding on the subway I received a pink summons for illegal handcuff which is ...
  A: Barry, A lot depends upon your attorney. While an Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal ...
DUI Missouri10/19/2010
  Q: My a 25 yr old daughter recently received DUI in Lake Ozark, Missouri. She had drank approx 4 beers ...
  A: Colleen, Your daughter should immediately retain the services of a criminal defense attorney who ...
charges10/17/2010
  Q: I had a felonious assault on me two days ago,my ? is my car got damaged at their house by them. the ...
  A: Gerald, Of course there is a law against it. Do you know who did this to you? You should furnish ...
Injunction Against Harasment10/17/2010
  Q: on Monday night I was served with papers which were an Injunction against Harassment keeping me from ...
  A: Ramon, Yes, you can continue to do what you have been doing. You must prepare to help the police ...
death threat via internet10/16/2010
  Q: I am seeking the specific penal codes regarding Internet death threats. I have received a death ...
  A: Kathleen, All states and the federal government have passed statutes that make communicating death ...
personal protection order10/15/2010
  Q: i had a ppo served upon me,went to court to have dismissed but ended up sighning a hand written ...
  A: Randy, It is hard to say. There is no reason why a hand written agreement should have been drafted ...
time limitation for extradition10/14/2010
  Q: How long can a state or county prison hold a prisoner awaiting extradition to another state prison
  A: Shani, It depends upon the "Speedy Trial Rule" in the extraditing state. For Federal crimes the ...
crime rates10/13/2010
  Q: How do crime rates relate to arrest rates? Is there a better solution to improving the correlation ...
  A: Rudy, This is a complicated query. The short answer to your question is that crime rates relate to ...
charged 7 months after for unlawful entry10/12/2010
  Q: My ex-boyfriend & I started seeing each other again even though he had a new girlfriend. I ...
  A: KD, I would contact a criminal defense attorney immediately to help you deal with this issue. You ...
abandoned property/malicious destruction10/12/2010
  Q: MI live in Michigan. My boyfriend up and left me 8 days ago, leaving all of his property behind. I ...
  A: Stephanie, If he was not on the lease it really is simple. If he left and told you he is not ...
No reason for search10/9/2010
  Q: I have 2 ?. #1. Can probation/task search your entire home or just the living quarters of the ...
  A: Dawn, Unfortunately this is a very common situation and question. Probation/parole officers can ...
prision due to dirty test?10/8/2010
  Q: Basically my husband has been in trouble for the last three years is on formal probation. Went to ...
  A: Holly, The answer is yes. Because the court system recognizes probation as a revocable contract, ...
Criminal Mischief - Drop the charges10/8/2010
  Q: Should the offended party decide to drop the charges, will this stop the case from proceeding to ...
  A: JPat, The quick answer is "maybe." In the past the police and D.A.'s Office would operate off of ...
Spousal fraud/ ID theft/theft by deception10/8/2010
  Q: My husband says that I have committed spousal fraud ID theft, and theft by deception. I did use ...
  A: Carrie, There is really nothing to do at this point. There are no charges against you and you are ...
harassment 2nd degree 240.2610/7/2010
  Q: How long does somebody have from the time of the incident to file charges? It happened on July 20th ...
  A: Raymond, I am not sure of your involvement due to the way the question is written but I am assuming ...
Fraud10/6/2010
  Q: I am a merchant who receives chargebacks from customers from time to time, claiming that they didn't ...
  A: Jeff, Unfortunately you have "hit the nail on the head" so to speak as far as the conventional ...
felony expungment10/4/2010
  Q: I am writing in regards to my boyfriend. He was convicted of a malicious conduct by prisoner charge ...
  A: Sharon, The offense needs to be fully adjudicated meaning that the parole/probation and any other ...
felony theft10/4/2010
  Q: Please help me understand the rights of someone accused of felony theft in Texas. The charges were ...
  A: Woodie, The employee in this incident is beyond trying to determine if the employer violated his ...
Possible Kidnap10/3/2010
  Q: No custodial rights for my niece have been established. My niece has lived with my sister and I ...
  A: Renee, The answer is no, because no custodial provisions have been ordered by the Court. The ...
grand larceny 3rd degree10/3/2010
  Q: charged with grand larceny 3rd degree. I have a child that will be left alone, if jail is required. ...
  A: Confused, The answer is perhaps. Deferred adjudication in simple terms is a plea bargain where you ...
Question??9/30/2010
  Q: I'd like to know what is the legal age for women and men to leave their parents home in the state of ...
  A: Renee, The short answer is eighteen. However a child can petition the court for emancipation so as ...
Jail Time9/29/2010
  Q: I was sentenced to due 5 weekends in the couty jail for falling behind on my child support. The jail ...
  A: James, File a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Office for Civil Rights and ...
incarcaration9/29/2010
  Q: how long can a inmate be held in a federal prison without trial. In the state of RI
  A: Joe, This is not a simple answer because the person being held may have had time excluded from the ...
criminal mischief class b9/28/2010
  Q: my 17 year old son a municipal court summons for supposably driving in grass in a public park, he ...
  A: Stacey, Contact the court and see if they can send you any additional information regarding the ...
trespassing ticket9/22/2010
  Q: My son received a trespassing ticket while visiting in New York for being at a swimming hole.He is ...
  A: Ann, My suggestion is to have your son simply pay the ticket and move on with his life. I don't ...
Probation9/21/2010
  Q: "I transferred my probation to NY from another state, I first lived in one county and then moved ...
  A: Joe, It is my understanding that until you are accepted into the caseload by the new county the old ...
search warrant9/20/2010
  Q: They issued a search warrant for my house and my company pick up when the cops went to the ...
  A: Guadalupe, The quick answer for this forum is "most likely." The neutral and detached magistrate ...
probable cause/police identification9/19/2010
  Q: In Michigan can police come on your property and question you without identifying themselves as ...
  A: Deb, The police do not have to be readily identified to come on your property and ask questions. ...
Which lawyer to hire?9/16/2010
  Q: My 19-year-old son has been charged with DUI and violation of the implied consent law in a very ...
  A: Linda, The only way that the police videotape can be identified and secured/obtained is when it is ...
Changing a guilty plea9/13/2010
  Q: I was charged with driving without insurance and leaving the scene of an accident and received a ...
  A: Heather, I hope this reaches you in time. The answer is yes. If the officer does not show to ...
Parolee forging checks/ stealing9/13/2010
  Q: I help an elderly lady by paying her bills online.She has a son on paroleliving with her. I noticed ...
  A: Cathy, She should contact his parole officer and discuss the situation with them. She has the ...
extradition9/5/2010
  Q: My husband had a warrant i Texas and was arrested in Utah. He keeps asking me about an extradition ...
  A: Whitney, The process of extradition is complicated and is not always exercised. In today's cash ...
ADA, color of law.9/5/2010
  Q: At a recent public event,I a 50% disabled Vietnam Vet, and a 100% disabled person with our ...
  A: Dan, You have provided a lot of details and I appreciate your circumstances. I think that there ...
telephone and email harassment9/4/2010
  Q: I am involved in an ongoing dispute with a former employer and have made many calls to their office ...
  A: Robert, The short answer is yes, you can be arrested for harassment. It would be a version of ...
receiving threats9/3/2010
  Q: I need help with how to report a threat. My friends mom was shot and the case is under ...
  A: Crystal, The laws (obviously) vary from state to state. If you contacted all of those agencies and ...
Forgery9/1/2010
  Q: I had someone cash my Pennsylvania state tax refund check for over $600 with out my permission, at ...
  A: Ann, Actually the bank is helping you out. Seize the tape from the bank immediately as that is ...
DUI MD statute of limitations8/31/2010
  Q: Sometime in 2001 I was involved in an accident in Montgomery Co. MD. After I was released from the ...
  A: Ernest, The answer would be no, not at this point. But it seems like you have already suffered for ...
charged with criminal mischief third degree while on probation8/30/2010
  Q: While my fiance and I were in a heated break-up he broke less than $50 in property over the phone so ...
  A: Rosa, Three things could happen. He could face revocation of probation and be sent back to finish ...
Felony18/29/2010
  Q: First of all I would like to thank you for your time. I am a resident of Summit County in Ohio. I ...
  A: Taanta, You most likely will have to work through your local county. Your county should have a bar ...
Federal Motion FRCP 60(d) in a Criminal Case8/25/2010
  Q: Despite the difficult Appeal Process; Can a Federal Motion F.R.C.P. 60(d)(1) based on “Fraud upon ...
  A: S, FRCP Rule 60(b)addresses the aspects of fraud and ineffective assistance of counsel. This would ...
Drug case8/20/2010
  Q: Can I still go to jail for a drug charge from six years ago
  A: Jose, The answer is maybe. If it was a misdemeanor charge the statute of limitations in your state ...
falsely filed ppo8/19/2010
  Q: my child has had a ppo put against him falsely and now has been falsely accused of violating it!does ...
  A: Daniel, From the information you have provided I would have to say the answer is yes. The alleged ...
Debit Card Theft8/17/2010
  Q: Someone whom I considered my best friend, took my debit card and purchased 2 nights at a local motel ...
  A: Marvin, He or she could be charged with theft, access device fraud, and other possible charges ...
Felony probation violation with another felony3/31/2010
  Q: I'm on felony probation for bugerly of a habbation and I recently got a tempering with evadince ...
  A: Dustin, You need to consult with an attorney in your area now. You will go through the process of ...
harassing a disabled person3/31/2010
  Q: My neighbor and I had a dispute about his trees. Ever since he has been harassing me by growing his ...
  A: Debbie, It seems that you are a good candidate to privately prosecute your neighbor for harassment. ...
Tickets in collections and garnishment3/30/2010
  Q: A collection agency has a writ of garnishment for some traffic tickets in Washington state. I had ...
  A: Kevin, The answer is yes. Once an order has been granted to garnish the only way you can stop the ...
probation, absconding, and warrants3/30/2010
  Q: I was arrested for a misdemeanor (shoplifting)in 2005 in NY. I was convicted and given 3 years ...
  A: Bobbi, There are no expiration for warrants/absconding. You defied a court sentence. You could ...
How long is a felony warrant good for?3/29/2010
  Q: I have a felony warrant out for theft. It is only extraditable in Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and the ...
  A: David, A felony warrant will not and does not expire. You can work with the issuing district ...
Assault3/29/2010
  Q: I was at a bar last week and we had a waitress that was very chummy, hugging me a lot. I made the ...
  A: Eddie, You most likely could be charged with a summary level charge of harassment or something ...
Shoplifting3/28/2010
  Q: I was caught shoplifting about $80 worth of merchandise and i avoided jail time with the agreement ...
  A: Hugo, The answer is yes. However they probably will not extradite due to the crime being ...
warrants & license renewal3/28/2010
  Q: I found out recently that I may have a 10 year old warrant on me, At the time I found out I had been ...
  A: Charrell, No, but they do have access to information as to whether or not your license has liens on ...
Subpeona in criminal case by defendants counsel3/27/2010
  Q: My roommate was arrested for growing marijuana in my yard. The witness list includes myself and my ...
  A: Sue, If your son is in jail then that is the end of the issue. He can't leave and attend unless ...
simple assault3/27/2010
  Q: Is the charge of assaulting a public saftey officer considered simple assault?
  A: Josh, It could in your jurisdiction. However, many states have increased the penalties against ...
Harrassment by next door neighbor3/23/2010
  Q: I need to know what steps I can take to stop the neighbor next door from harassing me and my 2 ...
  A: Charlene, This is a very difficult situation. You could pay an attorney to write a letter of ...
probation release3/23/2010
  Q: If you have satisfied probation requirements and are released however there was an outstanding ...
  A: Marcella, The answer is maybe. The probation violation may or may not be prosecuted. If it is you ...
How to Subpoea False Police Calls3/21/2010
  Q: How would I go about getting a subpoena to prove false harassment calls to 311, 911, and animal ...
  A: Jenna, If police are assisting you let them do it. If you are attempting to prosecute privately ...
Who is responsible for the cost of travel if he is needed to testify in from of a grand jury or in court3/19/2010
  Q: This individual is a witness and is not charged with any crime and never will. Who is ...
  A: I am not going to pretend that I know the exact answer to this question. However, it has been my ...
Is being charged with intoxication considered a Criminal offense?3/19/2010
  Q: This is a 2 part1) My daughter was charged with being over the alcohol limit, and went to a trial ...
  A: Lee, Unfortunately the answer is yes. It is a criminal offense. A criminal offense is any act or ...
What would happen if a duel US Belgium national commits a murder, in the United States3/19/2010
  Q: What would happen if a duel US Belgium national commits a murder, in the United States, and he flees ...
  A: Belgium prohibits dual citizenship. With that said a Belgium national could be in the U.S. on visa ...
medical treatment of children/minors3/19/2010
  Q: I was painting a school clinic awhile back and all day long students came in with various problems. ...
  A: Michele, The legal perspectives of handing out medicine to school students vs. abortion are at ...
Felony theft probation violation3/19/2010
  Q: My fiance's ex was put on drug/alcohol offender probation on a third degree felony theft charge in ...
  A: Katie, She absolutely could receive a longer sentence and/or additional probation. The court will ...
Criminal Mischief3/18/2010
  Q: I was charged with criminal mischief in 1987 when I was young and not so intelligent. I was told ...
  A: Kristine, It is hard to say why it was not taken off your record. However what you need to do is ...
violation of privicy rights3/18/2010
  Q: My 23 year old son was convicted of possession, served 4 months in a bootcamp type facility and is ...
  A: Tracy, You are correct, the PO should not be speaking with other citizens about the conditions of ...
harassment3/18/2010
  Q: Unfortunately had an affair though broke it off. My partner aware of all details. Other party now ...
  A: David, Contact the police department servicing the area where your partner lives and have them take ...
vandelism3/18/2010
  Q: my son was with a group of boys who vandalized a car causing less than 200$ in damage. My son did ...
  A: Maybe. Your son, although not a direct participant, could be charged with conspiracy to commit ...
case be reopened b/c judge indicted3/17/2010
  Q: Can a case be reopened if the Judge who ruled on it has been indicted? (Indictment may not be ...
  A: Karen, Probably not. Just because a judge is potentially guilty in a criminal matter does not mean ...
Limitations of probation officers searching other peoples property in the house you staying at3/15/2010
  Q: due to bad financial time i was forced to move back in with my mother. my parents have just gone ...
  A: Preston, The PO can go through the entire house and everyone's room. Why? Because how convenient ...
inhome probation visits3/13/2010
  Q: if your husband is on formal probation (in Iowa), and has to have inhome visits from the probation ...
  A: Carmen, The answer is yes, a PO can take your husband out of the home; and yes, the wife has to ...
extridition3/12/2010
  Q: I am on the run from rape charges in the U.S. I fled the country because I could not afford an ...
  A: Leon, You could try the U.S. embassy or contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation directly. Why ...
False calls to police3/5/2010
  Q: A Maryland Condo association has unethical officers who have previously filed false police reports ...
  A: Joan, The victims of this behavior can file private harassment charges at your local court or ...
Son has gone into hiding and I am not able to find him because his friends are saying that there is a warrant3/5/2010
  Q: My son was arrested 3 times in Guam for Possession of Drugs and was on probation then just ...
  A: Millie, Your son needs to answer for absconding from his probation agreement. Finding him and ...
is it a felony or misdemeanor3/5/2010
  Q: someone i know was pulled over they had a warrant were they got pulled over for a bad check so they ...
  A: Andrea, His chances of having the charge dismissed are good if the police reports corroborate ...
bail jumping3/4/2010
  Q: about 9 yrs ago i was arrested for family assault and violence. i thought it was taken care of but a ...
  A: Rene, You will have to contact the Court who would have recorded the name of the bondsman. Jeff ...
quash3/3/2010
  Q: I live in Virginia. 1.What is a motion to quash? Who can file this? When is it valid? Is there a ...
  A: Flo, An order to quash in Virginia (and many other jurisdictions) is a motion filed to challenge a ...
representation in a case involving traffic charges3/2/2010
  Q: I am a 27 year old working man with a home and family of four. Several years ago I got a ten day ...
  A: Michael, You should contact the Chester Lawyer Referral Service. Their website states: IF YOU ...
Sex offender registration3/2/2010
  Q: my fiancee is a registered sex offender and after moving to Fl, he went to register with the local ...
  A: Sylvia, As it is a per se violation of the statute there will probably be no excuse allowed. ...
East Cleveland 'lost' paperwork3/2/2010
  Q: Back in 2007, I received (4) speed camera tickets. (doctor appointment, there were two cameras on ...
  A: Iliana, You need to contact the District Attorney's Office and have your letters of Affidavit ...
criminal3/2/2010
  Q: Is absconding a felony in the state of p.a if ur on misdamenor probation
  A: Sean, Absconding from your probation supervision is not a felony but is a violation of your ...
felony on background check3/1/2010
  Q: I recently applied for a job that required a background check ,i got the background check in the ...
  A: Roberto, Ensure that your Social Security Number is correct and that you are not being confused ...
Gun charge3/1/2010
  Q: I have a handgun felony charge on my record that happen in 2003 and im trying to get a job but that ...
  A: Eric, Unless the charge was dismissed or you were found not guilty it cannot be removed from your ...
help2/28/2010
  Q: I have a sad/happy story. My elderly mother is in an independent living complex run by a big ...
  A: Dan, Write down an inventory of the description of the jewelry and value. Submit that to the ...
violation of probation2/28/2010
  Q: My boyfriend was put on 5 year probation for a gun charge he recently got v.o.p for missing a day of ...
  A: Taina, A lot depends upon the jurisdiction. He could probably have his probation revoked or at a ...
Simple assault, Endangering the Welfare of a child, And recklessly endangering other children ...2/26/2010
  Q: My fiance was arrested for hitting my 13 year old son.. when the cops got here,they stated he was in ...
  A: Aisha, It is hard to say. However you need to protect your juvenile son from any adult abuse. You ...
arrest2/25/2010
  Q: I would like your expert opinion on the following: 1) When determining whether a stop or an ...
  A: Rudy, 1. A reasonable arrest is one where the officer believes that probable cause exists or they ...
Insufficient Fund returned check2/25/2010
  Q: My company provided a service for a client for a contracted amount of $42,000. After our services ...
  A: Jim, You are correct that it could constitute an agreement to accept payments. I would find out ...
posession2/25/2010
  Q: if a person is pulled over and the passenger has mariajuana in there pocket who is the one that ...
  A: Tony, Usually the passenger under the circumstances that you explain. In some states and ...
assault2/24/2010
  Q: I was the victim of a planned assault. I was attacked outside of the Pomona Courthouse CA, on a ...
  A: Daniel, The answer is yes. If the original officer will not do it, then take it to the police ...
Employment law2/24/2010
  Q: my wife forged a Bachelors diploma from overseas in order to get a better salary, her job profile ...
  A: Andrew, No, it does not sound like she committed a crime. This incident does not constitute ...
Expungment2/23/2010
  Q: I have 4 misdemeanors and 1 Felony from the state of MD. I have been off any type of probation since ...
  A: Christi, You can start right away, however do not be disappointed if you cannot get them expunged. ...
extradition2/23/2010
  Q: my Husband was picked up in Georgia yesterday for a Violation of probation in the State of Florida. ...
  A: Kimberly, Yes, it varies from state to state but generally it is 70 days from the time of ...
Misdemeanor Record Was Expunged2/22/2010
  Q: Over 10 years ago I was caught shoplifting, the amount was around $50 dollars worth of merchandise. ...
  A: Cindy, This is actually a common question. The short of it is you must be honest and report what ...
neighbor harrassment/slander2/22/2010
  Q: I moved to this apt. which is rent controlled/gov. for elders and people with disabilities.I am the ...
  A: Carol, The only reasonable thing you can do is to continue to document the harassing behavior and ...
theft by check2/21/2010
  Q: I just got charged with theft by check (38$) on a check written almost nine years ago, and filed on ...
  A: Lawrence, A standard background check for employment will not reveal old bench warrants. However ...
GRAND JURY MINUTES2/21/2010
  Q: Jeffrey-Peter Hauck Well I have two questions. 1. Can someone get indited based on their previous ...
  A: Mr. C., 1. No. But they can be used to show a pattern of behavior. 2. No. They must be formally ...
geeves614@gmail.com2/21/2010
  Q: Scenario: A 41 year old woman suffering from renal failure was pressured and coerced into submitting ...
  A: Jeffrey, You will want to research the affirmative defense of "duress." Contact a competent ...
credibility2/19/2010
  Q: how credible can a whitness be on a 20 yr old crime that they knew about then;never said anthing ...
  A: Daniel, They are as credible as their testimony allows. It they have no direct knowledge or ...
Grand Theft Larceny2/18/2010
  Q: My brother got arrested for stealing from his job. On the Desk appearance ticket it states: Top ...
  A: Ana, Yes, it is the only charge he will face. It looks like it is Grand Larceny in the Fourth ...
Simple Assault2/18/2010
  Q: I was in my own home when my boyfriend threw me to the ground and picked up my little dog to throw ...
  A: Susan, I would write a letter to the Chief of Police in your jurisdiction stating what you just ...
Child Visitation Rights2/18/2010
  Q: Is it a crime to purposely deny a Father his court ordered visitation rights?. My husband and I are ...
  A: Najuana, No it is not a crime. It is a civil violation and the mother could be held in contempt of ...
Ongoing intentional harrassment of my son and now my whole family2/17/2010
  Q: This is a case concerning juveniles, (13/14 years old). My son changed schools in September and ...
  A: Anne-Marie, You have taken the appropriate steps so far by contacting the school Principal and ...
Teen death threat2/16/2010
  Q: At school my 15-year-old daughter overheard a group of girls threatening to shoot her with their ...
  A: Elaine, You have taken two steps to do so. You have reported the incident to the school officials ...
gun rights2/16/2010
  Q: no violent crimes.Is it possible to get my right to bear arms reinstated.I am a ca. resident. also ...
  A: David, The answer is no. Sorry. Federal law prohibits it. Unless you can successfully expunge ...
Detainer agreements2/15/2010
  Q: My friend is in prison right now and has a dtainer on him in another state .. I guess they have 180 ...
  A: Jessicanna, The authorities will not automatically drop any charges but they should release him ...
pre-employment urine test2/15/2010
  Q: I would like to know what rights I have when taking a pre-employment urine test. Can I be searched? ...
  A: Bob, You could be. There are different procedures for different urinalysis screening tests. ...
Juvenille Miranda Rights2/15/2010
  Q: My son recently got arrested for a tagging that someone else did. He was not even at the scene of ...
  A: Lois, If the police are basing the arrest on the information of an independent witness, then they ...
Becoming a Detective2/11/2010
  Q: I wanted to know what it takes to become a detective. I am in school now going for a degree Criminal ...
  A: Lisa, Finish your formal education first. You will be receiving a lot of information along the ...
Minor2/11/2010
  Q: My daughter who is 15 was held against her will by another boy who is also 15 and he proceeded to ...
  A: Lainie, In short the answer is yes under the Florida criminal statute equivalent. You should ...
Extradition from another country2/10/2010
  Q: How does the extradition process work, if a person is indicted of a white collar crime and is ...
  A: Guillermo, The country in question must participate in a reciprocal extradition agreement with ...
14th amendment , bill of rights, inmates2/10/2010
  Q: can you give me your opinion and knowledge about the following: 1) Why is the 14th Amendment ...
  A: Rudy, I will set you on the right course. 1. Look to the Incorporation Clause under the 14th ...
criminal court procedure issue2/9/2010
  Q: A friend of mine "Dan" has been charged with possession of dangerous drugs for sale. Apparently his ...
  A: Scarlet, If a person is accused of violating terms of your probation or violating terms of your ...
MARANDA RIGHTS2/9/2010
  Q: please elaborate on the definition of section or ruling in Miranda rights voluntary information ...
  A: Robert, You are absolutely right. The "Miranda warnings" notify the subject of the possibility ...
Acquitted of murder and inheritance2/3/2010
  Q: I've just watched a TV program in which a man is acquitted of murder of his wife. (The case takes ...
  A: Steve, Not really. There exist what are known as "slayer's statutes" whereby a person who kills ...
plea question2/2/2010
  Q: my 20 yr old son was charged with burgulary in a occupied home, recieving stolen property, theft of ...
  A: Sherry, Yes, it would be wise to change his plea. It seems that bail revocation might be a ...
Relief from disability, regain 2nd amendment constitutional rights2/1/2010
  Q: My father was arrested in 1989 by the State of California for manufacturing drugs. While he was out ...
  A: Joe, Your father can most likely never has his privilege to own a firearm restored due to his ...
DLC/DUI2/1/2010
  Q: I am a paralegal in PA trying to figure out a case. Our client is an IN resident and was convicted ...
  A: David, The correct procedure was for your client to have turned in his license to PA. The ...
illegal sentencing2/1/2010
  Q: I was sentenced to 11 months 29 days in county jail and 5 years state probation in Florida for ...
  A: Mike, It sounds like that might be the case, but seeing that you served nearly one year in jail and ...
Probation Officers limitations2/1/2010
  Q: If one was on Probation for a DUI, can a PO dictate where you live? Who you can date? When you can ...
  A: Matthew, A PO can dictate where and under what conditions you live. I have never heard of a ...
Probation Hold2/1/2010
  Q: My fiance went to jail in for probation violation and he had a probation hold on him. He was first ...
  A: Brittany, The probation hold will be removed when he goes before a judge from the issuing Parish ...
Retail fraud and Possession1/31/2010
  Q: I was caught shoplifting in Michigan and when the store theft employee searched me, he found a ...
  A: Jo, With misdemeanor level crimes the prosecution has two years to bring charges. That is the ...
murder or manslaughter?1/30/2010
  Q: my sister's ex-boyfriend was recently involved in a car accident in Tacoma, WA that killed a 3-month ...
  A: Rachelle, The most serious charge could be Vehicular Homicide. Washington defines that charge as: ...
prescription1/30/2010
  Q: The case is: A person was convicted to serve 5 years probation for a D felony. The person is an us ...
  A: David, There is an outstanding warrant for absconding for that person. He is a fugitive from ...
Private property1/30/2010
  Q: We bought our house over six years ago and chose this house for the acreage and the fact it's out of ...
  A: Michelle, Contact the school district superintendent and the transportation supervisor in writing ...
2nd notice ...I never received the 1st1/30/2010
  Q: I received a 2nd settlement offer (never received the 1st one) my immediate attention is required ...
  A: Latoya, There are different standards in different states as to how a juvenile is treated when ...
probation power1/28/2010
  Q: first of all i live in the state of indiana and my girlfriends mom has complied with all the demands ...
  A: Joshua, The probation agreement should tell your girlfriend's mom what she has to do to comply with ...
Law1/28/2010
  Q: I need your opinion/answer to the following: 1) What is the danger in relying on only text to learn ...
  A: Rudy, 1. Textualist interpretation of the law focuses on the written word and tries not to deviate ...
can the law do this1/27/2010
  Q: iam on probation for buglarie i was yung we had been drinking my boyfriend broke into and empty ...
  A: Crystal, This is a complicated story but you need to contact a criminal defense attorney ...
Change charge?1/27/2010
  Q: I was arrested with about 1/4 lb. of marijuana. The officer said that sence I co-operated that I was ...
  A: J, Usually not because the DA's office has to approve the charge. However, I would try to obtain ...
Harassment1/27/2010
  Q: I have a cousin who moved to Ohio to stay with my grandparents and I. Also living here are my aunt ...
  A: Jazmyne, I agree. You can contact the police and see what kind of assistance they can offer. It ...
quick q1/27/2010
  Q: I have a friend of mine that owes money on a misdemeanor. He recently moved to Alaska and I was ...
  A: Kaylee, There is no statute of limitations on a warrant. It never goes away. The court court ...
absconding1/27/2010
  Q: do you get charged with absconding if you do not report to parole and if so how much time do you get ...
  A: Sherron, The possibility is there. It depends upon the contract you signed with your parole ...
absconding1/27/2010
  Q: if on parole and you stop reporting do you automatically get charged with absconding
  A: Sherron, No, but you do violate the technical provisions of your probation contract and face the ...
Need your help!1/26/2010
  Q: My friend is on county probation which started in August of 2009 and will end next month. In October ...
  A: Jamie, It is possible that the probation officer could find your friend in violation of the ...
Probation1/24/2010
  Q: I was recently convicted of a felony dui. Unfortunate circumstances, after a holiday party in ...
  A: Johnanthan, There is little that can be done. You are bound by the restrictions and conditions of ...
probation violation warrants1/22/2010
  Q: If my husband was to leave his probation sentence incompleted how long does a warrant stand active ...
  A: Nikki, The warrant will stand active forever. It does not go away. Depending upon his crime and ...
Contempt of Court1/21/2010
  Q: Can i be charged with contempt of court without even having a court date in the first place? If so ...
  A: Renaldes, The answer is yes if you have violated a court order mandating that you take action or ...
Felony1/21/2010
  Q: I been convicted of a felony 20 years ago and Iam so ashamed never was I ever in trouble with the ...
  A: Paula, The answer is most likely yes. There is no time limit for a felony to come off your ...
rape1/20/2010
  Q: is there a statute of limitation on rape in TN
  A: Will, Rape is a Class B felony. The SOL is 8 years for a Class B felony. Jeff Jeffrey Hauck ...
unemployment1/20/2010
  Q: if i call someone's bi-weekly unemployment claims in for them, with their permission, and they are ...
  A: Carla, It would appear to me that you could be implicated in committing UC fraud. I would be very ...
DUI Warrant1/20/2010
  Q: I currently have a bench warrant for a DUI I got in 2005. I finised all the DMV and AA meetings ...
  A: Gabriel, I would consult the judge again and try to finish out the sentence requirements to finally ...
child support1/19/2010
  Q: My son has three children and is incarcerated . There is no way he can send child support through ...
  A: Yvonne, Probably not. The state does not look at the situation of the paying parent, only to the ...
broken engagement1/19/2010
  Q: My son gave a very expensive dia ring to his girfriend and now they have broken up. they live in Pa. ...
  A: Yvonne, In PA an engagement ring is considered to be a gift. It is a token of affection and not a ...
Minor in a video1/19/2010
  Q: If a 14 minor( now 16) who has been victimized sexually by an adult confesses to her mother and ...
  A: Marlis, The adult could wait until approached by the police to retain a lawyer. The detectives ...
Corporate Embezzlement1/19/2010
  Q: My family has had a small family business for many years. 15 years ago my father past away and left ...
  A: Kim, You need to contact an attorney specializing in corporation law who can guide you to bringing ...
forgery1/18/2010
  Q: My daughter stole my purse and went off with her boyfriend and several of his friends. My daughter ...
  A: Gilda, I am sure that you already have done this but you need to contact a criminal defense ...
check forgery1/17/2010
  Q: My husband and I have been together for a total of 7 years. For the past three years, he has given ...
  A: Melissa, You should have considered a joint account and should not have been signing his name on ...
Hiring an attorney1/16/2010
  Q: Is there a way to review an attorney's reputation before hiring them?
  A: Gene, Yes. The company "Martindale-Hubble" offers lawyer peer review and client review of ...
Federal and State Sentences Running Concurrent1/16/2010
  Q: An individual pleads guilty to a federal offense while in state custody serving state time. At the ...
  A: Brandi, It is possible to get that second state sentence to run concurrently but you are going to ...
Fraud Allegation1/15/2010
  Q: When I was a student I was living in a persons house paying rent. The house owner and I became close ...
  A: CD, In short, you can present all the evidence that you have which is relevant to the case at hand ...
show cause summons1/14/2010
  Q: by receiving a show cause summons for failure to pay fines on time does this violate my parole?
  A: Chris, The answer is probably yes. Parole and probation agreements stipulate the payment of fines ...
trying juvenille1/13/2010
  Q: do you belive or not belive that juvenilles should be tryed as adults. and why or why not....thanks, ...
  A: Steven Yes. Today's American youth are bombarded with media and pop-culture images and impressions ...
Outstanding warrant in another state1/13/2010
  Q: 5 years ago I got arrested for disorderly conduct in yonkers,ny. I went to the appointed court date ...
  A: Ben, New York Penal Code Section 240.20-Disorderly conduct: A person is guilty of disorderly ...
colleting unemployment while incarcerated.1/13/2010
  Q: What can happen if your incarcerated and you have been collecting unemployment for a month and they ...
  A: Yvonne, In order to collect unemployment in PA you must be making a concerted effort to find ...
question concerning legal obligations1/13/2010
  Q: Jeffrey, I'm service manager for a large safe company in California. Occasionally we get requests ...
  A: Terry, You can ensure the authorization by requesting to see the Letters of Administration showing ...
vandalism1/12/2010
  Q: two 14 year old boys vandalised my van what action can i take
  A: Ian, I am not quite sure about the law in the UK, but I would imagine that contacting the police, ...
Time limitation for warrant transport?1/11/2010
  Q: My wife is being held in one county Indiana awaiting transport to another county in Indiana. Is ...
  A: Brent, Intrastate extradition from one county to another usually takes place in a fairly rapid ...
Clearing Criminal Record1/11/2010
  Q: I know someone who has a 12 year old class C felony charge. The charge was for a drunken fight. He ...
  A: Paige, The answer is most likely no. Expunging or clearing a record is usually only possible if ...
absconding1/10/2010
  Q: My fiance is in jail right now for absconding. He got a charge when he was 17 for robbing someone ...
  A: Danielle, The answer is probably not. The Judge will consider the fact that your fiancee is a ...
HOW MANY YEARS DO U THINK??1/10/2010
  Q: I JUST GOT OUT ON PROBATION FOR A BMV. NOT MY 1ST CHARGE. LIKE 3RD. NOW IM BEING CHARGED WITH A ...
  A: Jack, The third offense for Burglary of a Motor Vehicle in Texas is a state felony, punishable by ...
240.30 of the Ny state penal code1/8/2010
  Q: Backround:My brother runs a Meetup.com Not for profit group.He and relatives assist him answering ...
  A: Bob, I understand your situation and unfortunately the penal code allows for anyone to easily fill ...
Bench warrant issued while in military1/8/2010
  Q: I received a fine for a wreckless conduct charge and did not fulfill the required payment. This ...
  A: Marc, I would immediately write a letter to the district attorney's office who is handling the ...
restitution1/6/2010
  Q: Back around december of 2008 I turned myself in for a misdemeanor assault warrant. I was then ...
  A: Amos, Yes, the Judge can revoke your parole. Unfortunately you are in a position where you have to ...
auto vandalism1/6/2010
  Q: I live in Florida.Today is 1/5/10. About 4 days ago, the front passenger window of my son's car was ...
  A: Mike, If the young man does not pay for the damage you could contact your local police to ...
Technical Probation Violations TX1/5/2010
  Q: My husband was on probation for Bulgary of Habitat on Jan.5th 2007. He violated probation for not ...
  A: Mandy, Sorry for the delay. Since it is a minor technical violation your husband could face ...
Probation violation/second offense1/4/2010
  Q: Please forgive me as I put the wrong email address on my previous question. I apologize if you have ...
  A: Jen, Simple possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor (unclassified), with a maximum penalty or 30 ...
  Q: My son, a 21 y/o college student, is on probation for possession of marijuana, first offense. Last ...
Out-of-State fugitive recovery1/4/2010
  Q: I am a licensed bail/recovery agent in the state of Missouri. I have someone who skipped bond and is ...
  A: Mia, Although Wisconsin has banned commercial private bail bond services for all Wisconsin local, ...
Will this PI charge be on my record forever?1/3/2010
  Q: I was arrested for the first time ever for Public Intoxication in Iowa. I'm not sure how to find ...
  A: Maria, A first time PI charge in Iowa is a simple misdemeanor punishable by a fine and/or jail time ...
Long question/story...please help!1/3/2010
  Q: When I was 14 years old I got into an argument with my father, and after he was done beating me I ...
  A: Adam, You don't have to worry. Your juvenile record is most likely sealed and no one can access it ...
Company charging credit card w/o authorization1/2/2010
  Q: I rented an appliance frome Aaron sales and lease in Southern California. I had a oral agreement ...
  A: Craig, This is a civil complaint that you should take up with your state's Attorney General. Write ...
early release/probation1/2/2010
  Q: I was actually informed by a probation officer, that if a person follows all the rules; guidelines ...
  A: Terri, The answer is yes. It is called a commuted sentence where you exchange good behavior or ...
warrants1/2/2010
  Q: I have a daughter who is currently doing time. She is serving 2 separate sentencings of 16 years ...
  A: SMM, It is possible to do this. What you need to do is contact the charging county in each state ...
Obtain an attorney prior to police questioning1/2/2010
  Q: I was told that the police are investigating an attempted murder for someone I know very well. ...
  A: Anonymous, You should contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. Select one who has ...
Prior military service1/1/2010
  Q: Having a prior military background, would that give you an "upper-hand" on someone not in the ...
  A: Jeremy, In my opinion military vets have training and skills that non-vets will never experience or ...
Enhancements12/31/2009
  Q: I have a friend who was convicted of attempted murder 2nd degree not premeditated. He received a gun ...
  A: Giorgianna, It does not matter that the person shot was an accomplice. A gun enhancement is ...
NSF Hot Check Warrant from 200612/31/2009
  Q: I found out that in 2006 there was a warrant issued on a hot check I had written. The amount to pay ...
  A: Angela, The warrant will never expire. Perhaps the warrant is not listed in NCIC as outstanding. ...
Crimal mischief ticket12/31/2009
  Q: A couple nights ago i was going to town to get food and my friend called wanting to hang out. I went ...
  A: Rick, I can't answer this question without knowing what state this occurred in. In Oregon the ...
help with return runaway12/31/2009
  Q: My brother was arrested 5 yrs ago for possesion of a controlled substance for purpose to distribute. ...
  A: Veronica, Your brother should contact the FBI field office in the charging jurisdiction of Texas ...
California to Texas extradition12/30/2009
  Q: I'm scared to death of going back to Texas because I left my abusive husband and he's already ...
  A: Jennifer, I understand your situation. If you fail to make your court appearance chances are that ...
Felony12/30/2009
  Q: My son was convicted of a felony. I think it was burglary in Florida. He is schizophrenic. I ...
  A: Nancy, Probably not. Unless you can get the conviction overturned due to his illness it will most ...
Probable cause12/30/2009
  Q: I own my own business and have burned the midnight oil on many of occasions over the past 13 years ...
  A: Ken, That is a weird situation. What was the probable cause that the officer gave to pull you ...
Problem Neighbor12/29/2009
  Q: I’ll try to keep this short. We have a neighbor (I’ll call him Ed) who is a troublemaker. He’s not ...
  A: Joy, The only thing you can do with neighbors like this is to: 1. Sue for peace. This is usually ...
domestic violence12/28/2009
  Q: My girlfriend accused me of assaulting her dec.22 2008. She ran across the street to the police ...
  A: Devin, For a misdemeanor arrest the police in most states have one year to file charges. Here it ...
Felony misdomeanor dismissed and Guns12/27/2009
  Q: If Charged with a felony, have it reduced to a misdemeanor and then dismissed is it federally legal ...
  A: James, I don't think so. Federal law prohibits firearm possession following ANY state or federal ...
General12/22/2009
  Q: Recently my brother in-law was stopped by the police outside of his house. I was just wondering if ...
  A: Tim, If you are placed into handcuffs you are officially detained. A person is arrested if the ...
probation search/protection sweep12/22/2009
  Q: My son is on probation and is living with his brother and sister at their apartment. My son on ...
  A: Candy, The probation officer can search the entire area that your son lives in to include the ...
Harrassing Neighbor12/22/2009
  Q: There is quite a bit of back-story to this question, and I apologize in advance for the length. ...
  A: Mel, At this point the only thing that you can do is to protect yourself and family. I suggest ...
Summary offense12/22/2009
  Q: I received a violation for carrying a loaded firearm in my vehicle while in the woods hunting. I ...
  A: Joe, It sounds like you have a defense due to your low blood sugar and ostensibly diabetic ...
Probation Violation12/21/2009
  Q: Okay, So i am 20 and i have been on probation for about 1 year and 8 months, I was sentenced to 3 ...
  A: Trey, Hard to say. Look at the contract you signed under the conditions of your probation. What ...
forged check 478.0012/20/2009
  Q: while a stolen and forged check 478.00 a felony the person who done this is on prodation
  A: Virginia, Not good. That is a criminal violation of the probation contract and after the Gagnon I ...
theft by minor12/19/2009
  Q: My daughter and a friend of hers was recently caught stealing at Walmart. At the time walmart said ...
  A: BBL, I know it does not involve you personally but the girls were caught. You as the guardian of ...
bench warrent in md12/17/2009
  Q: I live in virginia and recently missed a court date in Maryland for a previous charge in Maryland ...
  A: Alena, Sorry for the delay. The answer is "maybe." Chances are that they would not, but THEY ...
I was caught shoplifting12/17/2009
  Q: I was caught shoplifting, have gone to court, was fined, and ordered to do community service, and 1 ...
  A: Evea, The only thing that you can do without worrying is to contact your probation officer and see ...
bench probation violation12/16/2009
  Q: if someone were to be on bench probation for stalking in Oregon and got an mip would that be ...
  A: Kyle, I imagine that a criminal violation for a minor in possession of alcohol would be a violation ...
home invasion12/15/2009
  Q: My grandmother had her house broken into earlier this year while she was gone at the doctors. When ...
  A: Christine, This is a question that I cannot answer. In my opinion the police should have processed ...
Probation12/15/2009
  Q: My husband was recently arrested at his probation appointment, for not paying his monthly fees. He ...
  A: Roxie, There is a good chance that at his Gagnon I & II hearings he could be found to have violated ...
revisiting the probation sentence12/14/2009
  Q: quick background to my situation... *sentenced march 2008 year ago with drug felony *20 years ...
  A: Luci, The answers unfortunately are: No, usually you might have grounds if there was a technicality ...
PETITION12/12/2009
  Q: Is a "petition" the best way to get a charge removed from an arrest report? I have an inmate friend ...
  A: Sam, The best way to handle this situation is to have the charge expunged from the criminal history ...
expungement12/11/2009
  Q: i have a DUI from 2001 and in 2003 had 4 offenses that show up on my criminal report or public ...
  A: Mike, The expungement of a criminal record is handled at the Court of Common Pleas level and is a ...
probation restrictions12/11/2009
  Q: I was given 6 months of probation today when I went to court, which is in massachusetts. The charge ...
  A: James, You raise a very serious point here and I have seen it time and time again. This is a ...
hold for state warrant12/10/2009
  Q: Last night my boyfriend was arrested on dv/with prior. for his warrant it says "hold for state ...
  A: Jazzmin, It means that your BF has an outstanding warrant for arrest in that state and that he will ...
Extradition12/10/2009
  Q: My fiance is being held in a community jail in New York and has a warrant from Florida. He went to ...
  A: Morgan, If he were held in a jurisdiction where he was not serving a sentence the 30 day rule would ...
Most effeciant way to have serious charges dropped12/5/2009
  Q: Mr. Hauck, Thank you for any guidance you may be able to provide me with. Last year I was a 24 ...
  A: Tareija, I would absolutely write an affidavit (statement) addressed to the DA's office and have ...
Is there a statue of limitation on a dui.12/4/2009
  Q: Its been 5 almost 6 yrs since i was arrested for a dui... I had all intentions to go to court but at ...
  A: Cathryn, Your misdemeanor DUI offense most likely is sitting inactive in warrant status. That ...
Hotel Guest non-payment12/3/2009
  Q: I had a guest stay at my hotel for a period of over 30 days. She made several payments during her ...
  A: Jared, The answer is absolutely yes. I am not sure of your jurisdiction but in the great state of ...
Party12/1/2009
  Q: I was good friends with her and she wanted me to come to meet her new boyfriend. She told me that ...
  A: Roxas, As a student you fall under the rules and regulations of the University. However in your ...
super scared12/1/2009
  Q: on October 17th i tried to steal $130 worth of items from macy's. i returned the items and was ...
  A: Alyse, Under NC law if the amount of goods in question is valued at less than $1,000, you are ...
extradition12/1/2009
  Q: If a person fails to register as a sex offender in the state of Florida and moves to Texas and ...
  A: Londa, More than likely that is the case. Under Florida law failure to register as a sex offender ...
Criminal Mischief 4th degree11/30/2009
  Q: My boyfriend was in an argument with his family and kicked a chair which in turn broke a glass ...
  A: Jennifer, If his family is now not pursing charges then the state will not have the witnesses ...
engagement ring11/28/2009
  Q: I got my fiance's engagement ring from jeweler #1. We found a chip in 1 of the 3 stones so our ...
  A: Shane, Yes you can sue the first jeweler who sold you the ring if he or she did in fact ...
Incident Number11/26/2009
  Q: I wonder if you could advise me. I have started a new job and in my third week reported a robbery ...
  A: Brooke, I understand your frustration as it sounds like your boss is not taking you at your word ...
Criminal mischief misdameanor11/24/2009
  Q: My son and 2 other college students recently cut down a dead tree on campus to use for firewood at ...
  A: Ron, The crime of Criminal Mischief is defined in PA as: § 3304. Criminal mischief. (a) ...
Shoplifting11/24/2009
  Q: The other day my friend and I were caught shoplifting at JCPennys in the mall of about 100-198 each ...
  A: Jayden, Store security are private employees and not government agents like the police so they do ...
major in criminology11/24/2009
  Q: i'm a senior in high school and i plan to go to East Carolina University. i want to become a ...
  A: Emily, Yes that is very possible. You are going to have to work your way up in the police ...
bounty hunters11/23/2009
  Q: I want to know if it is possible for someone to be on probation and still be or become a bounty ...
  A: Nathaniel, The answer regarding probation is it depends upon the state you live in. Check your ...
Videotaping conversations8/10/2009
  Q: I live in CA, and recently my husband videotaped a private conversation between he and I in our ...
  A: Ginger, The answer is yes. Contact your local police department to file an incident report and ...
Employer Legalities8/10/2009
  Q: I'm not sure if you can help with this or not but perhaps you can point me in the right direction. ...
  A: Ken, This is a civil matter that you can take to your local magisterial or small claims court to ...
Stolen check8/10/2009
  Q: in August 2006 my daughter sold a kitten for $275.00 the person paid with a check, a couple of weeks ...
  A: Patti, In the United States a person is considered innocent until proven guilty. It is the burden ...
working for law enforcement8/10/2009
  Q: My husband was convicted of a fellony 9 years ago in orange county, Orlando FLorida. Our friends son ...
  A: Terri, This is a personal decision by your friend's son. Under the technical rule your friend's ...
exterdition8/10/2009
  Q: my son was arrested in Virginia in 2007 with a felony possession charge he received 3 yrs with 2yrs ...
  A: Terri, There is no set specified amount of time for extradition as long as it is reasonable. The ...
CRIMINAL8/9/2009
  Q: I let my friend borrow my car and I have found out that they have been arrested by the feds and they ...
  A: You can petition to have your car returned by filling out the required form. If your car was seized ...
probation hold8/9/2009
  Q: my son is serving time in county jail for a felony drug possession charge. he has been in and out ...
  A: Margaret, I would contact a criminal defense attorney and request a free consultation to see what ...
probable cause charge8/8/2009
  Q: can my case be thrown out of court for Fruadulant use of a credit card based on probable cause if i ...
  A: Ryan, The answer is no if you actually possessed the card. If you never had the card then the ...
Defending minor against another minor8/7/2009
  Q: My younger brother, who is 16, has been threatened to be beat up by a 17 year old that I happen to ...
  A: Charles, I would make your intention to protect your brother known and that you will not tolerate ...
search warrants8/7/2009
  Q: What does it take for police to get a legal california search warrant for drugs. I have heard at ...
  A: The police only need probable cause to request a search warrant which is issued by a neutral and ...
House Arrest instead of Jail Time for a Class D Felony?8/6/2009
  Q: My boyfriend is about to be sentenced to serve jail time for a D Class felony for a burglary that ...
  A: Kimberly, All of the things you suggested, even talking to the police, are excellent ways to have ...
can my daughter go to jail?8/6/2009
  Q: My daughter & her friend were pulled over for speeding.the police officer arrested my daughter for ...
  A: It appears that if the officer was going to take action and charge your daughter he probably would ...
Possible illegal sentencing..6/13/2009
  Q: I'm not sure what the statue is here in Florida on strong armed robbery, but I know any crime that ...
  A: Brittany, In Florida Strong-arm Robbery is defined as such: Strong-arm robbery is a term used to ...
Traffic Ticket Arrest Warrant in Texas6/13/2009
  Q: If I have a warrant in Texas from a traffic ticket unpaid, will I be able to fly out of state - or ...
  A: Staci, I am pretty sure that having an unpaid traffic ticket will allow you to fly. Could your ...
check forgery4/2/2009
  Q: what rights does a pregnant person have in jail. my sister is a wobbler case she is on medication ...
  A: Donna, She has the same rights as a non-pregnant person but with special consideration to her ...
Arrest Warrant4/2/2009
  Q: My (18yr old) niece has been served an arrest warrant for theft. This is simple identity theft, her ...
  A: Clarence, She will have to answer to the prosecuting authority for the charge of theft. As the ...
Ex post facto4/2/2009
  Q: My boyfriend was (grandfathered) onto the sex offender registry. His conviction and sentencing were ...
  A: Susan, What many states have done is to pass a legislative statute to create a law where any and ...
son4/2/2009
  Q: My son has been charged with 664/459. He was fighting with his girlfriend and was kicking on the ...
  A: Cathy, I am not sure what state you son was charged in but if it is California then he has been ...
juvenile police harassment4/2/2009
  Q: Jeff, I am actually seeking advice for a friend. She has a 16 year old son who had been in trouble ...
  A: Michele, Off the cuff with just your information to go on I would say that the search exceeded the ...
knowingly received stolen property4/1/2009
  Q: I'm wondering, if this charge is used only when someone else actually stole the item. If the person ...
  A: Lisa, In many states the charge of receiving stolen property carries the same grading as the ...
"Thirty years with no chance of parole"?4/1/2009
  Q: On aTV coverage of crimme, you often hear a sentence of "life with no chance of parole." But you ...
  A: Steve, You are correct. The judge handles sentencing and can order that parole be waived for the ...
Early Release Eligibility3/23/2009
  Q: I have a son that got two years for doing a robbery. He did not have a gun, but stated that he did. ...
  A: You did not query/contact me directly but I found your question languishing in the "question pool" ...
question3/20/2009
  Q: a couple days ago, I had asked about the length of time it takes for a violation of probation ...
  A: B., You did not query/contact me directly but I found your question languishing in the "question ...
question3/19/2009
  Q: I wanted to know if a violation of probation warrant would ever expire? my buddy's on the run now, ...
statute of limitations3/18/2009
  Q: I had a fugitive of justice warrant out of florida from 1992 for aggravated battery since that time ...
first time offender misdemeanor3/17/2009
  Q: I was pulled over by a police offer recently and after a half hour i was issued tow warnings. One ...
please answer3/15/2009
  Q: i have a friend who got probation for 2 yrs. and he got violated for failing a drug test now what ...
criminaljustice3/14/2009
  Q: IF MY ROOMATE IS THE PERSON WOHM ADMITED GUILTY OF THERE CRIME & SERVED TIME ,SHOULD I PLED GUILTY? ...
detention/extraditon3/14/2009
  Q: If a person is detained in prince george correction institution due to a warrant in new york and ...
  A: Valerie, When New York (the demanding state) files a detainer on a person in the holding state ...
Shock Parole3/11/2009
  Q: Ok so here is the situation in a nutshell: Chris was arrested on December 13, 2008 with 2 other co ...
Check Fruad3/6/2009
  Q: he wife is on the paper work with me for the corparation we are currently having differences and are ...
  A: Ken, In short you most likely would be able to report him to your local municipal police department ...
Excessive force?3/6/2009
  Q: A few weeks ago, myself and 2 of my friends were walking home from a party. Along side of the road ...
  A: Nick, It sounds like you might have a legitimate grievance. The only way to handle this matter ...
extradition3/5/2009
  Q: Mr.Hauck, Thank you for your fast response, your info on extradition has helped a great deal. You ...
  A: Sure, it is under Article IV of the Interstate Agreement on Detainers Act provides that after there ...
buddy in trouble3/5/2009
  Q: a friend of mine is an absconded sex offender who had a 5yr. probation sentence for sexual battery ...
  A: Jesse, The warrant never goes away. He will be listed in the National Crime Information Computer ...
extradition3/5/2009
  Q: my friend has just accepted a plea bargain in California: and was sentenced to 365 days probation, ...
  A: June, Your friend will be eligible to file a motion after 30 days of being held to determine if the ...
Criminal Record Expunged?3/5/2009
  Q: I was convicted of a felony over twenty five years ago when I was seventeen years old. Since then, I ...
  A: Bill, There is a "gray" area in many states regarding felonies committed as a minor. Much depends ...
speeding in oklhoma3/4/2009
  Q: I got a speeding ticket today for 96 in a 70 from a airplane. I was not going that fast. My 2001 ...
  A: Gary, My suggestion would be to contact a qualified criminal defense attorney in Oklahoma willing ...
if a person could be offered the same deal if defendant broke the agreement?3/3/2009
  Q: my sister had a case where she plead guilty to a felony assault charge when she was seventeen. she ...
  A: Shalani, welcome & hello: Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Wanted Fugitive in Florida3/3/2009
  Q: I have recently found out that my boyfriend is a fugitive, he is currently wanted in the state of ...
  A: Debra, I found your question in the open question pool and decided to help you with it. The only ...
Extortion of rents3/2/2009
  Q: Landlords assistant has made me pay $9000 in rent arrears from a previous tenant. This is a ...
  A: Jeannie, welcome & hello: Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Validity of a subpoena duces tecum2/21/2009
  Q: My 39 year old daughter was hand given a subpoena to appear in court at about 4:30 Fri. The court ...
  A: Melissa, welcome & hello: Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
search warrent2/21/2009
  Q: i was wondering if the police came in to perform a search warrent and they scearched other people in ...
  A: Julie, welcome & hello: Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Mental Harrasment by ex girlfriend of my husband---what legal option do i have to stop her???2/19/2009
  Q: My husband's ex girlfriend is calling me and my husband from past one year stating that she just ...
  A: Sunny, I found your question lingering in the question pool so I decided to see if I can help. ...
credit used2/19/2009
  Q: If I have a power of attorney for my brother and he said I could get credit cards in his name, so I ...
  A: Adam, welcome & hello: Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
extradition2/19/2009
  Q: My fiance is being held in TX waiting upon extradition back to PA. How many days do they have until ...
  A: Melissa, I found your question lingering in the question pool so I decided to see if I can help. ...
federal criminal offenses vs. state criminal offenses2/18/2009
  Q: What are the criteria that will make a criminal offenses qualify to a federal crime, and what are ...
  A: Edward, welcome & hello: Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
gun ownership?2/18/2009
  Q: i had a weapon of mass destruction(shotgun 25 in length)charge reduced to a assault by pointing gun ...
  A: Chris, welcome & hello: Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
malicious mischief2/17/2009
  Q: A few days ago I was accused (in California) of malicious mischief because I drove a car on a lawn ...
  A: Pat, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
malicious mischief2/17/2009
  A: Pat, Welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Arrested for Malicious Mischief2/16/2009
  Q: currently attending college, was seen using a marker on a sign at 2 AM while walking back to his ...
  A: Kat, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
nc firearm prohibited persons2/16/2009
  Q: i have a question regarding my right to own a firearm,in 2006 i was arrested for possesion of a ...
  A: Chris, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Federal Probation Violation for Abscondor2/13/2009
  Q: What should I do when I told my Federal PO about my NC State charges and told him that I want to ...
  A: Motherslove, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in ...
parole questions2/13/2009
  Q: How long after a parole release date does the parole board have to violate you?
  A: Amber, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Changing a Plea2/11/2009
  Q: I have no idea how to find the answer to this question or to figure out the best way to deal with ...
  A: Debbie, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
indirect criminal contempt2/11/2009
  Q: My son is in jail for child support arrears. He turned himself in on Tuesday it is now one week ...
  A: Amanda, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
criminal matter2/11/2009
  Q: something ensued on campus and i was charged with a felony. some are choosing to go to trial and ...
  A: RJ, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Sentencing2/10/2009
  Q: I have an option to be sentenced to house arrest for a portion of a DUI sentence in Cobb County ...
  A: Alan, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Inmate Fee1/31/2009
  Q: Is it possible for a inmate that is incarcerated for almost 7 years now in a federal prison to have ...
  A: Shari, welcome & hello, Forgive this response if it is delayed as I found your question in the ...
Is Dr. Evil guilty of murder?12/24/2008
  Q: On July 4, Dr. Evil firmly decides to do away with Austin Powers by killing him with a super-sonic ...
  A: David, Although this is a homework question, which I normally do not answer, it is Christmas so I ...
bounty hunter12/24/2008
  Q: I live in California and I got into a discussion with a bounty hunter about whether or not a bounty ...
  A: Ron, Sorry for the delay due to the Christmas Holiday. Your friend is actually right but with ...
omissionI to document9/16/2008
  Q: I am a RN in Pennsylvania and was recently charged with "possession of narcotics and omission to ...
  A: Karen, I had a Pennsylvania RN review your question with me and we both feel that your preceptor ...
Refusing a Breathalyzer9/15/2008
  Q: I live in South Dakota. I was at a party, and was 20 yrs old. I refused a breathalyzer, b.c I didn't ...
  A: Gary, Yes, and the officer will testify that even though he does not have any preliminary proof of ...
Marijuana Charge in Michigan9/15/2008
  Q: I received a ticket for possesion of Marijuana in june of 07 and in December of 07 a warrant was ...
  A: Bernard, The short answer is no. However if you have moved or have been difficult to locate then ...
Criminal Record expunged at age 18?9/14/2008
  Q: and I was wondering if it did infact get expunged off my record at age 18 like everyone is saying it ...
  A: Nick, It is either sealed with your juvenile records or remaining open as an adult offense. If you ...
Suing Roommates for Kitchen Appliances9/11/2008
  Q: I am taking two former roommates to small claims court. I went on vacation on August 9th. They moved ...
  A: Anjel, It sounds like you took all of the necessary steps to ensure a win in court. Make sure the ...
divorce with restraining order for phy. abuse9/11/2008
  Q: My brother who lives in Ga. has be accused of physical abuse to his wife although he said he is ...
  A: Linda, The best thing your brother can do is to consult with and hire a divorce attorney who has ...
Mincey...9/10/2008
  Q: Sir, my estranged father in law committed suicide in March, he lived alone and was divorced and was ...
  A: Travis, From the facts as you described it seems that the computer was taken unlawfully. There ...
Leaving before trial9/10/2008
  Q: Here is my question, I received a DUI in 2000, and then another one in 2005 (was charged as a first ...
  A: Pierre, You risk having a restriction placed on your visa, a suspension or revocation of the ...
Failed breathalyzer leading to a search, extremely small amount of pot found, but no citation9/9/2008
  Q: I was recently in the woods with some friends doing nothing but sitting, when two officers came out ...
  A: Kasey, Most likely the police officer was being nice in not charging you for the marijuana, however ...
aggravated harrasment (telephone)_9/9/2008
  Q: My children's mother (we were never legally married and live in NYS where there is no commonlaw) has ...
  A: Mark, Go to your local magistrate or court of venue where you can privately file a criminal ...
illegal entry and rules concerning9/9/2008
  Q: My dorm room was entered by police with a key and without knocking because they heard I had blood on ...
  A: Jonathan, Your research has paid off. It is the exclusionary rule from a federal standard and the ...
Federal Search Warrant9/9/2008
  Q: When a Federal Search Warrant is isssued, Does the proper name of the person who owns the property ...
  A: Jennifer, The answer is yes to the best of the officer or government agent's knowledge. In the ...
Theft or Fraud9/9/2008
  Q: My friend, we will call him J, is helping me plan my wedding. Because he started his own company he ...
  A: Kristen, This is what happens when friends are mixed in and deals get a little vague in trying to ...
Home Searched9/9/2008
  Q: My son is on probation until July of 2009.He reports to his PO once a month and has finished his 80 ...
  A: Peggy, The answer is that you do not have to give in to the PO's demands. However a PO can search ...
Criminal Mischief9/9/2008
  Q: Can I be denied housing because of a summary offense in criminal mischief in the state of PA? The ...
  A: Joy, Unfortunately I have to be the bearer of bad news and tell you that the answer is yes. An ...
Criminal Summons9/9/2008
  Q: "I don't know where to start... in April of 2007 i rented an apartment here in Cookeville, ...
  A: Ashley, The short answer is yes. You will be given a chance to tell your side to the court. My ...
Criminal Mischief Charge9/9/2008
  Q: I was charged with criminal mischief this week for vandalizing a van. Now I was associated with the ...
  A: Josh, The only thing that you can do at this point is to contact the victim(s) involved, plead your ...
Violation of Probation9/9/2008
  Q: My husband recently violated his probation due to alleged charges. The law proclaims that you are ...
  A: China, Under the contract that your husband agreed to signed to receive probation he has waived ...
warrants9/8/2008
  Q: I have a non exdriditabal warrant, for failure to appear on a misdemeanor pot possession charge. ...
  A: Kevin, Sorry the laws of admiralty do not cover your current circumstances. My suggestion is to ...
criminal rights9/8/2008
  Q: I have an employee who is on parole for fraud. She was caught stealing $5. We have the suspicion she ...
  A: Angela, The short answer is yes. Employee theft is a huge concern for businesses. Although you ...
neighbor harassment9/7/2008
  Q: this has been going on for months so i'll try to make it as compact as possible. my parents live in ...
  A: Allie, The only option that I see is to hire a private detective to capture the neighbor committing ...
Probation violation in Alaska9/7/2008
  Q: A friend of mine (male, 25 years of age) was arrested in Alaska for robbery. He served a 5 year ...
  A: Carole, Probation can be transferred to another state. However, it is up to the probation office ...
2 shoplifting9/7/2008
  Q: ok so i went to the store today and i went to the child dept and picked out 2 jackets for my girls ...
  A: Becky, The fine details depend upon the state you were charged in and how much the jacket cost. ...
Mischief9/6/2008
  Q: I am 19 years of age and the other night i was at the bar, I must have blacked out. I woke up in the ...
  A: Mike, If you have not received a copy of the police criminal complaint then you will by mail. In ...
assault victim9/6/2008
  Q: My cousin was brutally assaulted by a bouncer of a club at a party we attended recently. As the last ...
  A: Jose, The short answer is yes. You should have had your written statements sent to the police ...
California Public Trespass9/6/2008
  Q: tonight I walked into the only night club in my town, said hello to the bouncer of the bar, he said ...
  A: Linda, This simple misdemeanor charge is punishable by a fine. In the extreme you might get some ...
assault charges9/6/2008
  Q: In an attempt to grab a piece of paper from another, accidentally grabbing the others hand in the ...
  A: Nick, The short answer is that your action constituted an offensive and unwanted contact and could ...
How does a defendent summons witnesses?9/5/2008
  Q: I was the guy arrested for "trespassing" at a "public meeting" that you kindly advised to turn the ...
  A: Peter, For witnesses that you want to call to court do this: With the list in hand go to the Clerk ...
Arrested for theft9/4/2008
  Q: Last month I was arrested (in Florida) for shoplifting at a store at the mall. (I am 20) I had never ...
  A: Carrie, You are looking at one of the two charges based upon the value of the clothes you took: ...
Going to a court motion9/4/2008
  Q: should I write a letter to the courts as to why I want my case to be relooked at when i attend my ...
  A: Anita, The short answer is yes. If you have not done so it might be worth filing a police report ...
In a mess. At the end of my rope.9/3/2008
  Q: I'm Lucy. I'm 19 and in April I was caught with an ounce and a half of pot on me. The half ounce was ...
  A: Lucy, Yes you can absolutely take care of things from Florida. Contact the local courts of ...
misdeameanor larceny9/3/2008
  Q: What misdeameanor degree is larceny with intent for ones own use? And what is the maximum sentence ...
  A: Gina, It is generally the same degree of crime as a common larceny; the grading of which depends ...
speedy trial in new york state9/2/2008
  Q: I am currently on a drug sales charge in New York State, I was picked up May 19 in Georgia for a ...
  A: Jamie, It is 180 days for all felonies (excluding murder). However the time line can be lengthened ...
egglicous criminals9/1/2008
  Q: So last night in lubbock, tx, my car got egged as i was driving so i did an u-turn and busted the ...
  A: Michael, The seriousness is based upon the damage they caused. The more damage the greater the ...
question involving simple misdemeanor9/1/2008
  Q: Last year I received a a citation for possessing alcohol underage (18 y.o.) in the state of Iowa, ...
  A: Jon, If the charge is a summary offense for a minor crime or traffic offense then it is only ...
criminal mischeif9/1/2008
  Q: My 12 yr. old son's friend who was in our home shot my son's bb. gun out his bedroom window hiiting ...
  A: Deana, Criminal mischief for a crime against a person does not sound like the proper charge and ...
forgery8/31/2008
  Q: Through divorce discovery I have found that my STBX husband's girlfriend "bookeeper" was writing out ...
  A: Lynne, Actually yes. Contact the bank and the police department to provide copies of the checks in ...
juvenile home invasion involving theft8/30/2008
  Q: my son is 15 years old and he was recently charged with home invasion involving $500 worth of stolen ...
  A: Lindsey, It depends upon the individual state but most have changed their juvenile guidelines to ...
Question reguarding harassing phone calls.8/29/2008
  Q: My ex husband has had me charged with harassing phone calls. He had not paid child support in 2 ...
  A: Linda, The only thing that you can do is to go to your local courthouse (domestic relations ...
breaking and entering8/27/2008
  Q: My sister is a victim of domestic abuse, he ex boyfriend got arrested for this but not charged due ...
  A: Ellen, The reason he can do this is that he still must be on the mortgage/lease. Your sister ...
shoplifting8/27/2008
  Q: my daughter who is from georgia stole a pair of $20.00 doller jeans from dillards in dothan alabama ...
  A: Marti, This is a petty theft or retail theft and is punishable by a fine. Alabama will require ...
neighbor harrassing my elderly mother8/27/2008
  Q: My mother lives next door to people who i would consider on the verge of being hostile.Today was the ...
  A: Bern, There is always one in every neighborhood. I have seen this many times before. Although you ...
Rentals8/26/2008
  Q: My dad was renting a apartment to a person in his early twenties. The person decided he was going to ...
  A: Justin, No that is not correct. Just because "the guy" is entering the military does not give him ...
Clearing 12 year old warrants/cases8/25/2008
  Q: Greetings, When I was 17 I was arrested for 3 counts of Felony theft (between $2000-$3000), but ...
  A: Chris, The problem with warrants is that they never really go away. If you are stopped for a ...
judgement8/25/2008
  Q: I have a judgement against me in the state of FLorida since 2002 in the amt of appx $12,000.00. I ...
  A: Miasotis, It never hurts to offer the money for settlement of the judgment. Often creditors would ...
do we need an attorney or PD8/25/2008
  Q: My son was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon. 12020(A) (1) PC-M A. We figured it was a felony ...
  A: That is what a criminal defense attorney can help your son with; proving that the police made an ...
criminal investigation8/23/2008
  Q: My cousin was a suspect (not charged) in mail fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud. He left the ...
  A: Cam, The charges pending do not go away. A warrant does not disappear due to any time limit. Most ...
Breathalizer for 2 years....8/21/2008
  Q: Well here is my situation, I got a DUI 2 years ago and finished everything required of the courts on ...
  A: Britney, That is a good question! My understanding is that the ignition interlock system may only ...
assault at school function8/21/2008
  Q: A week ago at a school function one of my 10 yr old son's classmates parent grabbed my child by ...
  A: Pamela, Telephone the Sheriff's office and have them contact the school on your behalf requesting a ...
Extradiction and Bail Process8/21/2008
  Q: My sister had no prior record. Monday at 1am she was at the park down the street and park police ...
  A: Lynnette, The best thing you can do is obtain power of attorney to handle your sister's affairs ...
Help?8/20/2008
  Q: I was recently burgled, I rang the police but no evidence was found, I was talking to a neighbour ...
  A: Becky, Contact the police and have them interview your neighbor and hopefully they can track down ...
two time larceny by employee charge8/19/2008
  Q: what type of punishment should be expected for same crime just came off probation for?
  A: Renee, You should expect the same punishment as before except maybe a little jail time, unless your ...
criminal trespass notice8/18/2008
  Q: I am trying to attend a funeral of a person I used to caregive for. The man has no family, but the ...
  A: Tricia, You do not have to be served beforehand, but actually they can stop you at the door. Yes, ...
Criminal Law8/18/2008
  Q: My husband was arrested and accused of habitually driving while his license was revoked. My husband ...
  A: Renee, If your husband is being charged with a felony than he will be facing possible jail time as ...
possible forgery8/17/2008
  Q: my husband and i split up in December but we filled our taxes together. he says he never received ...
  A: Sheila, Contact the IRS at their number and they can tell you when the stimulus check was sent out ...
Writ of Habeas Corpus8/17/2008
  Q: my brother was sentenced to 15-to-life for 2nd degree murder and has now served 30 years. He was ...
  A: Rebecca, Your best bet if you cannot afford an attorney is to have your brother file a pro se ...
stolen, froged, payroll check8/16/2008
  Q: recently my girlfriend got a payroll check and was going to cash it at walmart. as she was signing ...
  A: Andy and Holli, Contact the police department that serves the jurisdiction around the Wal-Mart ...
I was arrested for "trespassing" at a "public information meeting."8/15/2008
  Q: Greetings Mr. Hauck, My overall question is am I wrong or have I been wronged, and what can I do ...
  A: Peter, I am not going to pretend that this is not a strange situation, because it is! However, ...
Jail Time8/15/2008
  Q: I was recently charged with a 2nd DWI in Arkansas. The judge has told me that the 2nd requires 10 ...
  A: Tracy, Yes, they are full days and mandatory usually means mandatory. If possible I would schedule ...
illegal sentencing inquiry8/15/2008
  Q: I am from Pa and in 1995 i was found guilt of felony conspiracy to invoulantary manlaughter, a ...
  A: Maurice, Yes, involuntary manslaughter is a Misdemeanor of the first degree. And yes the grading of ...
Important Question8/14/2008
  Q: I had a question about a year ago my friend at the time who was 15 had annoyed some girl who was in ...
  A: The warrant can be outstanding forever. Most warrants are outstanding but no agency comes looking ...
simple assualt8/12/2008
  Q: O.k., I have been issued a ticket for simple assault by threat. although i did have words with the ...
  A: The decision is ultimately yours and you must let your conscience guide you. If it is easier to pay ...
Search Warrents and Seizures8/12/2008
  Q: The originalAfter having an unreliable individual make a statement for which a search and seizure ...
  A: Steve, Since you are strapped for cash I would go to your county law library and request how to ...
Petty Misdemeanor8/12/2008
  Q: 7 yrs ago I was arrested for not listening to the police man in a public place and sad to say I have ...
  A: Patty, You can apply through your state to find out what your criminal record is. If you have a ...
misdemeanors involving Celexa8/11/2008
  Q: I was charged with shoplifting over a month ago and then recently arressted with a charge of public ...
  A: Kat, As the public intoxication charge is usually a summary offense you are looking at a fine. If ...
theft by check8/11/2008
  Q: we received notice from the DA's check division that a check from 1992 was turned over to them as ...
  A: Brian, The Statute of Limitations in most states is generally 10 years for bad checks. In the ...
Supervised Release Violation8/11/2008
  Q: if supervised release is violated, and you abscond, what class violation is it, and what are the ...
  A: CaNon, In most jurisdictions absconding is a misdemeanor crime. You would be held accountable for ...
Videotapping8/10/2008
  Q: I have a question regarding videotapping me and my 6 year old son in the backyard mowing the lawn. ...
  A: Joe, I recommend writing down and documenting every crazy thing they do to you. If they come onto ...
theft charges8/10/2008
  Q: about two years ago, my daughter wrote 3 bad checks all in one day. She later received notice to ...
  A: Linda, Your daughter is being held accountable for the charge(s). You don't say exactly what they ...
Seeking info8/9/2008
  Q: Can you please direct me in finding the Oregon law concerning Criminal Trespass in the Second ...
  A: Kaye, Check your offenses and their grading against the Oregon prison terms and fines. They will ...
statue of limitation for petty theft8/9/2008
  Q: I want to know, what is the statue of limitation on a petty theft that was commit in 2000 in ...
  A: Liz, You didn't state that in your question. A statute of limitation in this instance is the time ...
my partner8/8/2008
  Q: My partner has just been sent to prison for jumping bail 5 years ago. This was before i knew him ...
  A: Sandy, A mention date is the defendant's first day in court; a date they cannot miss. A lot of the ...
Theft by deception charge8/8/2008
  Q: I have a question. I owned a company and i received some mowers from a vendor. the total bill was ...
  A: Anna, In short the mower company and the police have the authority to investigate this matter. ...
bench warrant consequences8/6/2008
  Q: In early June I received a 2nd dui in California. I have a court date set in August. My attorney ...
  A: Jerry, You most likely will not be arrested when you step off of the Jet but don't be surprised to ...
Criminal Mischief Charges8/6/2008
  Q: My daughter who is 18 has been picked up by the Sherrif Department stating a warrant was issued for ...
  A: Zenda, An arrest warrant can be executed once a criminal complaint has been filed by a police ...
statute of limitation on bad checks in florida8/4/2008
  Q: My husband wrote two checks back in 2000, in May of 2008 he was arrested on an outstanding warrant ...
  A: Deann, No there is no statute of limitations on how long a warrant can remain outstanding. My ...
Good Moral Character + Naturalization8/4/2008
  Q: I recently had a a fight with my wife. My daughter called 911. The police came and arrested me for ...
  A: Nazir, I am not sure of what the grading of "Obstruction of a 911 call" is in your jurisdiction but ...
extradition8/4/2008
  Q: iam on class B mistermeanor probation for drug posseion in new york. I failed my drug test last ...
  A: The answer is yes, but the question is will they? A class B misdemeanor is a relatively low level ...
dwi8/3/2008
  Q: I got a dwi in Maryland in 1994, moved away and never went to court. If I return to Maryland can I ...
  A: Randy, There is only a statute of limitations on a violation that was never discovered. If you ...
ABSCOUNDING8/3/2008
  Q: IF SOMEONE HAS A WARRANT FOR ABSCOUNDING FOR PROBATION, AND IS BROUGHT IN ON THEIR OWN BEHALF, AND ...
  A: Jaci, Yes the probation continues and any "good" street time that was generated is forfeited. ...
parole violator8/2/2008
  Q: my friend just got out of jail 3 months ago after serving a 2 year sentence. He is now dealing ...
  A: Cat, I appreciate your wanting to help your friend but that is a difficult route to walk. If it ...
Public Intoxication8/2/2008
  Q: I have a 19 year old daughter who was arrested for P.I. She was inside of a club that allowed her to ...
  A: Julie, It is legal if she actually was found drinking. What is the evidence? Did the officer ...
prison escape8/2/2008
  Q: i really need help in answering these questions. What would be the possible punishment to jail ...
  A: Kristine, The short answer is yes. There are a lot of variables such as the laws between state and ...
Domestic dispute and charges8/2/2008
  Q: My son recently had charges lodged against him buy his live in girlfriend( they have a child ...
  A: John, If you think this is going to be a case of "he said, she said" and that the court will be ...
speedy trial law8/1/2008
  Q: I am not sure if you are familiar with new york state speed trial law but I will try to be as ...
  A: Alex, I am not exactly sure about NY State Law and the Rules of Court that apply there, but ...
Felony Conviction8/1/2008
  Q: Sentence has be completed for Theft by Taking(F) in GA. like to re-instate my right to vote and ...
  A: Mike, Go to a competent criminal defense attorney in your area and ask him or her what the ...
Felony warrants8/1/2008
  Q: can a person get a job if they have open felony warrants and if not how would I go about collecting ...
  A: Danielle, Usually a person has to declare if they have ever been convicted of a felony. Therefore ...
college/misdemeaner5/20/2008
  Q: In 2003 I was arrested for domestic violence. I was curious if I could get some information. I would ...
  A: Brittany, As of September 30, 1996, it is illegal to possess a firearm after conviction of a ...
Harrassment / 2nd Degree Harrassment5/20/2008
  Q: We had a neighbor that owed us $1,500 on loans there were not being paid since June 2007. So we sent ...
  A: Sarah, Harassment in the second degree means a pattern of intentional, substantial, and ...
Michigan & three strike law5/19/2008
  Q: I know someone who is in the proccess of going to court for grand larceny. The problem is this ...
  A: Katrina, Michigan only has a "three strikes" rule regarding DUI sentencing. However, under the ...
Charges for giving a Bad Check5/18/2008
  Q: I had written a check and when the person went to cash it it did not clear. My account had been ...
  A: Tammy, You are not clear on whether you are being sued in civil court or are facing a criminal ...
Criminal Law5/15/2008
  Q: Hauk, I am a high school English teacher in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am working on a short ...
  A: , The most direct and understandable way would be to visit your local law library and/or ...
Boyfriend, probation.. a real big mess.5/14/2008
  Q: My boyfriend was put on probation last year for a misdemeanor assault on a female. She requested ...
  A: Rhi, A bench warrant will be issued for probation violation in your boyfriend's name and will be ...
subpeana5/14/2008
  Q: why must you be forced to do something that you don't want, my reason my cousin was short dead ...
  A: Ayanda, I understand your position. The power of the subpoena is one that compels you to come into ...
Pettys5/13/2008
  Q: My friend was camping on public property in a camp site and two police officers came and claimed ...
  A: Nicole, I am not sure where this occurred but if they only received tickets in the mail I am ...
female detectives5/13/2008
  Q: I am a young woman fresh out of high school and I have been told many times that it would be ...
  A: Kimberlie, No, that is ridiculous. Being female and in foster care has no bearing on how ...
Felony charges5/13/2008
  Q: I have been accused (in Virginia) of forgery and uttering. I have 3 convictions (DUI in 1996, ...
  A: Otis, If it were me I would look for the best deal. If you were charged with looking after that ...
theft of funds5/13/2008
  Q: Greetings, My father in law passed away a few months ago and left a will stating co-executors and a ...
  A: Mike, Listen, there are a lot of details missing here. The answers to your questions are yes and ...
minimum sentence/ truth or sentencing5/12/2008
  Q: my brother got charged for home invasion, sentence was 72 months to 40 , a local lawyer says he will ...
  A: Bill, The lawyer may be right. A prison sentence less than the minimum with parole may be in order ...
court date5/12/2008
  Q: I was recently arrested, and plead not guilty the next day in the court at the jail...they then said ...
  A: Nick, The court date is to allow the prosecution, in this case the police department and DA's ...
old warrants5/12/2008
  Q: I was in the state of MA. when i was 17 years old. I was at the time just traveling through and i ...
  A: Monica, You need to reach through the years and try to recall the circumstances of the warrant. ...
problem with paperwork5/11/2008
  Q: In court on Friday I was sentenced to 5 days in jail and was told to report to the jail by 9pm that ...
  A: Patty, Just to make it easy on yourself I would contact the district attorney's office to make sure ...
question5/11/2008
  Q: My boyfriend was in a work release prison and while at work he was arrested he was 16 days away from ...
  A: Amanda, Unfortunately the answer is yes, a warrant can be issued to arrest and hold someone even if ...
probation question5/10/2008
  Q: I am on felony probation for possession for sales. I know I'm searchable, but when they come to my ...
  A: Patti, Your probation officers can pretty much have access to YOUR living areas to see if you have ...
Probation officers in my home5/9/2008
  Q: My fiance is currently on probation in Niagra County in New York State and every so often his ...
  A: Denise, No, she has no right to tell you to extinguish your cigarette in your own house. You could ...
Warrants5/8/2008
  Q: I live in North Carolina and recently had a criminal background check for a job. It returned ...
  A: Cyndy, Generally there is no statute of limitations on warrants, bench or otherwise. What that ...
kansas extradite5/8/2008
  Q: Can the state of kansas extradite a person with warrants in that state, when they were arrested in ...
  A: Catrina, The answer is yes they can. However it is a matter of whether they will spend the time ...
Restraining orders5/8/2008
  Q: My brother(19) has a restraining order that was put oh him by the mother of his girlfriend who is ...
  A: Unfortunately your brother is in a tough position. Although New Hampshire may recognize and give ...
simple assualt5/7/2008
  Q: This is regards to my brother,he was lock-up for simple assualt. He went to go cash his check at a ...
  A: Chante, This is a hard question to answer. The problem is that check cashing guy should not have ...
re-extradition5/6/2008
  Q: Isn't there a different time limit should the fugitive not protest the extradition ? Because I ...
  A: Joshua, You need to actually contact an attorney practicing in your area who is familiar with the ...
hi5/6/2008
  Q: two babies first aborted due to doubt as to who was the father of the child social worker and ...
  A: This question is extremely complicated and could possible invoke criminal as well as civil actions. ...
lying to the police5/5/2008
  Q: My daughter is 19 years old and her and her friends got into something with counterfeit money and ...
  A: Yes, You must retain the services of a competent criminal defense attorney immediately. Your ...
parole obsconding5/5/2008
  Q: What are the deciding factors that determines if a parolee will be extradited because of parole ...
  A: Joan, The factors are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. If the crime is serious and ...
Limitation For Criminal Prosecution In The USA5/5/2008
  Q: Generally, does the USA or any particular state has a limitation period / time bar for the ...
  A: Raymon, Each and every State in the United States have statutes of limitations against prosecution. ...
Harrassment and More5/5/2008
  Q: My neighbor file a non-factual complaint with NJ DYFS in retribution because the city of Clifton, ...
  A: Bill, You could try to contact your Attorney General's office and see if they will investigate the ...
Homicide5/4/2008
  Q: I really don't want to be a police officer so I can move up to the detective rank. Is there any way ...
  A: Joyce, Unfortunately the answer is no. Basic policing and human relation skills are necessary for ...
my brother5/4/2008
  Q: las vegas got an interstate detainer act on my brother, what does that mean?
  A: Kim, A detainer or hold order, is a warrant sent from one state to another to provide notification ...
Replacing damaged property5/3/2008
  Q: My brother broke someone's mirror of f their car when he was being stupid and drunk. Anyway, he was ...
  A: Mike, Find a competent auto repair shop and find out how much it will cost to have the mirror ...
extradition time limits5/3/2008
  Q: My wife was arrested in austin texas for a failure to report warrant in Idaho. My question is, how ...
  A: Joshua, Texas can hold your wife for as long as Idaho takes to extradite her. Sometimes ...
curiosity5/3/2008
  Q: Out of curiosity, what is the best and worse case scenario of a person charged with ...
  A: Nini, It depends upon the individual state but the offenses are certainly Felonies and that ...
worry in illinois5/2/2008
  Q: my son is 20 years old decided that he and his friend would break into someone house they knew the ...
  A: Ella, The best thing to do is to write about some good things that your son has done for the ...
Criminal court part numbers5/1/2008
  Q: I'm curious about the numbers assigned to different court proceedings. In the show Law & Order, they ...
  A: Jeff, The numbers on Law and Order relate to internal categorizing (for trial purposes) and more ...
Business Took My Deposit4/30/2008
  Q: I paid an individual in TX a $1250 deposit to complete a website for my company. They were ...
  A: Mike, It sounds like you are the victim of fraud, a type of theft by deception. The first thing ...
ex-best friend--19 year old lier4/30/2008
  Q: ok..what would you do if someone who was your bestfriend all of a suden said to you that someone ...
  A: Rachel, I would stay away and have no further contact with these people. If someone threatens to ...
vacate a conviction4/30/2008
  Q: Do you know if there is a process for canada to vacate a conviction, I know it is done in the US, ...
  A: Don, You need to find a site dealing with Canadian issues. Unfortunately I cannot help you as I ...
Hung jury ...4/29/2008
  Q: We have a case going here in Kansas on a murder. The jury has HUNG twice, most recently just ...
  A: Rose, There is no amount of times that a jury can be "hung" without a conclusive verdict. That is ...
probation violation4/29/2008
  Q: I recieved a dui in 05. i got 5 years probation, in 07 i recieved my second. I also got pulled over ...
  A: Christine, Unfortunately much of the time the answer is yes. You need to contact this probation ...
Subpoena laws4/28/2008
  Q: I was recently served a subpoena to testify in a divorce of a friend. The court date was postponed. ...
  A: The rule would be in your respective State's rules of civil procedure. Type into Google or some ...
Malicious intent to destroy our home4/28/2008
  Q: This is somewhat complex but I'll try to summarize it. Following a wind storm, we lost @1/3 or the ...
  A: This is a very interesting situation which could have had disastrous consequences if the ...
trouble with homeowners association4/27/2008
  Q: We have two teenagers that play in the neighborhood where the playground is. It is a common area. ...
  A: Susan, The best thing to do in my opinion is just to write to the secretary of the homeowner's ...
domestic assault, URGENT time frame4/24/2008
  Q: I have a complicated question. In 2004 my mother was very ill with cancer. She and my husband ...
  A: Cindi, Your situation is strange in that your daughter is the "victim" in this case and must be ...
i need help for becoming a HOMICIDE DETECTIVE4/24/2008
  Q: could you give me some sites about things needed to become a homicide detective. If you could just ...
  A: Nikki, this information is taken from "Ask an Investigator" at: ...
possible forgery and fraud4/24/2008
  Q: A problem I'm close to: Party B received a monthly paycheck from Organization O, the paycheck made ...
  A: James, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but under PA law forgery is a Felony of the 2nd Degree if ...
Can someone be charged after the fact?4/23/2008
  Q: My friend told me that he went back into his old residence to pick up some of his things he left ...
  A: Casey, The answer in almost all jurisdictions would be yes. There are some mitigating ...
dwi4/22/2008
  Q: iam in the process of waiting trial my 3rd oui in mass iwas having a blood sugar problem and was acc ...
  A: Jim, The answer is no because a record of DUI arrests is kept for sentencing purposes. There will ...
Harassment Complaint - NJ4/22/2008
  Q: I live in New Jersey and I’m being harassed by a contractor who performed some remolding work at the ...
  A: Nevaeh, I understand your situation and here is my response: 1. A contractor cannot file for a ...
Underage Charge4/21/2008
  Q: I was given a citation for underage drinking in the state of Pennsylvania. Before I meet with the ...
  A: Kurtis, The answer is no. If there was a portable breath test used that can provide probable ...
old charges4/21/2008
  Q: My bf was arrested for a DUI when that happened they said he had a warrenet out for Bavard from ...
  A: Angela, There are several reasons as to why this happened. The jurisdiction where your boyfriend ...
Only one man ever convicted?12/10/2007
  Q: A few days ago, a friend and I were arguing over something he claimed to be a legal/historic fact ...
  A: Julia, To answer your question in short, I am not sure. I would ask your friend for his source of ...
No Trespass in Southern Maryland12/7/2007
  Q: A friend of mine, my daughter and I were walking around WalMart. I was letting my daughter play with ...
  A: It is true that a private business can exclude anyone from their premises for infractions, real or ...
Recieved a letter saying I was being charged for a theft crime?12/7/2007
  Q: Got a letter in the mail saying I was involved in a theft and being charged. Even though I have not ...
  A: This is indeed a strange situation. I have never heard of an incident where a person is mailed a ...
probation officers12/6/2007
  Q: My son has recently gotten an 18 month supervised probation in NC. My question is where can I go to ...
  A: After reading your question I think the only course of action for you to take is to schedule an ...
Minor and Jail12/6/2007
  Q: I asked this question to another person but they asked me if it was a serious question. I am ...
  A: The detention time of the protagonist in your book turns on the fact of whether or not the ...
criminal possession of a forged instrument12/6/2007
  Q: I was posting some add's online because I was trying to sell a comic for 110$. I got an e-mail from ...
  A: This is a strange occurrence and I sympathize with your circumstances. My recommendation would be ...
TIME FRAME ON CHARGES12/5/2007
  Q: MY BROTHER IS CURRENTLY BEING INVESTIGATED FOR ACCUSATIONS MADE BY A CHILD THAT DATES BACK 7 YEARS ...
  A: This is an interesting case. I know that under Arizona Statutes A.R.S. §13-107 the time limitation ...
Fictional legal question12/5/2007
  Q: Mr. Hauck: I hope you might be willing to answer what I hope are some pretty basic and ...
  A: This is an interesting question. Here is what I know: A person arrested for the crime of simple ...
smoking12/4/2007
  Q: ok so i got a smoking ticket in the mail (i am under 18) but the date on the ticket is like a month ...
  A: Dylan, It is hard to say if you are liable or not because I am not sure where you live or the ...
felony criminal mischeif12/3/2007
  Q: What is the new york state law on vandalism. What are the terms of felony criminal mischief in ...
  A: Here are the statutes from New York State. They are complete and self-explanatory. Please read ...
petty theft11/11/2007
  Q: Terry I was detained for petty theft. by store security guards but I never left the store I was at ...
  A: Sherry, Sorry, the answer is no. For any type of theft of items held for retail sale the store or ...
statute of limitations11/11/2007
  Q: is there a time limit on how long you can hold a warrant for not completing court ordered community ...
  A: Bryan, From what I have learned and experienced the community service requirement as part of the ...
what are my rights8/16/2007
  Q: A police officer came to my house to ask about an incident while driving. After he left he went to ...
  A: You have left out many details, but I will offer you my opinion as to the circumstances you ...
telephone harrasment7/31/2007
  Q: there is a toll free number that calls me 4 or 5 times a day, been going on for weeks now. The ...
  A: Unfortunately it seems like you have taken all of the action that you can. For what it is worth I ...
Money laundering7/30/2007
  Q: What are the mens rea and the actus reus in the money laundering offence?
  A: The criminal offense of "money laundering" would have at it's core the mens rea or "criminal or evil ...
possession of controlled substance7/30/2007
  Q: i would like to know what are the standards in the u.s. to prove someone guilts in possession of ...
  A: Excellent question. The standard of proof in regard to criminal possession of controlled substances ...
children sexual abuse-standard of proof7/29/2007
  Q: what is the standard of proof to be applied in children sexual abuse cases?
  A: Lilach, Excellent question. Generally the standard of proof in criminal cases is proof "beyond a ...
official misconduct7/28/2007
  Q: Is it legal to dismiss a public official accused of a criminal act before he was found guilty? who ...
  A: Excellent question. Because you have provided no details I must answer in general terms. It may be ...
check forgery7/28/2007
  Q: What is the criminal sanction in the US for one who is found liable in court for cashing a forged ...
  A: An excellent question. Because you have given very few details all I can tell you is that a Federal ...
check forgery7/28/2007
  Q: In which states in the u.s, according to the common law, does the liability for cashing a forged ...
  A: An excellent question. Although Common Law has been abrogated by Statutory Law in all of the ...
Illegal computer confiscation by the police.5/14/2007
  Q: Im faced with the problem of a detective taking my computer from staples because Xoft antivirus ...
  A: Robert, The best thing that you can do in this situation is to document the incident as best you ...
Juvenille5/13/2007
  Q: My son was with a boy who broke into a school. The other boy did about $150 worth of damage. I ...
  A: Gayle, It is hard to say. I am not versed in Florida statutes regarding juveniles. I would ...
search warrents5/7/2007
  Q: just a quick one. of the police raid your home with a search warrant and break the door down, if ...
  A: Daniel, Great question. The short answer is "no," the police do not have to pay for the damage ...
dui5/3/2007
  Q: i got a dui in oregon if i leave the state and get a warrant out for me can i get arrested in ...
  A: Tony, The U.S. Interstate Drivers License Compact is an agreement between the 45 participating ...
harassment by a neighbor5/3/2007
  Q: I think my question would sound simple to you, but I don’t know what to do. This is my situation. ...
  A: Irina, What a difficult situation. I am not sure what jurisdiction you live in but I am reasonably ...

All Questions in This Category

Criminal Law

Jeffrey Hauck

Top Expert on this page