Criminology and Forensic Psychology/I would like to be a homicide detective

My name is Hannah I'm 18. I would love to be a homicide detective.
First question I have is can I become a homicide detective with just a GED and not a high school diploma before continuing my education? I'm getting my GED or HSED this year. Am I to late perusing this?
I've been looking some things up and I read you have to be a police officer before being promoted to a homicide detective.
I'm not 100% sure I would like that.. I'm more interested in the homicide. I always have been. Do you have to be a police officer first? Or can I work in other investigative departments such as domestic violence, or sexual assaults and then go into homicide? If so, how do I go about doing that?
What courses would I take to become a homicide detective if I don't have to be a police officer or work in other areas first?
I've never really been interested in anything before the thought of being a homicide detective and I'm very passionate about this I hope you can help point me in the right direction.
Thank you,

Thanks for your question.  The short answer is yes, you will most likely have to become a police officer first and work your way into investigations.  As a recommendation you should move forward with your plan of finishing your GED and then apply for admission at your local college which offers criminal justice coursework.  You can then apply for employment at local or state police agencies.  It is a long road but is achievable if you believe in yourself and follow your dream.  Good luck!  

Criminology and Forensic Psychology

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to or related to the fields of criminology and forensic psychology.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.