Criminology and Forensic Psychology/Forensic Psychology

Hi Mr. Hauck,
I am a high school student look for more information on my future. I'm extremely interested in forensic psychology and would love to learn more from someone who knows the field.

Is it easy to get a job in forensic psychology out of college?
How much would the starting salary be?
Do you need your PHD in psychology in order to get far in this career?
When you're working in this job, are you in a lab, in the field or at a police/FBI station?

Thanks for taking out the time to help me while I figure out what I want to do in life.

You will need to complete your undergraduate and then graduate degrees in psychology specializing in forensic psychology.  You will ultimately possess a Ph.D in Psychology with a specialization in Forensic Psychology.  The starting salary according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics ranges from $75-100K.  You would most likely be working directly for a large criminal justice organization like the FBI, or you would be counseling out of a smaller office and consulting on the side for law enforcement.  There are many facets to this interesting profession.  First and foremost you must focus on and complete your education.  Good luck!  

Criminology and Forensic Psychology

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to or related to the fields of criminology and forensic psychology.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree.