Criminology and Forensic Psychology/Survival crime

If a person has no other option but to steal to survive, would the threat of an extremely harsh punishment like solitary confinement for life or years of 3rd degree torture prevent that person from stealing due to fear?

Interesting question and I apologize there is no way for me to answer adequately via a written message. Your question addresses the concept of Moral Relativism. Here is a good link explaining Moral Relativism. Link:

To me, personally believing self-preservation is one of our core instinctual drives, I would say a person would do anything to survive, even if it meant that their actions could cause them severe consequences. I believe that a good person would steal to survive even if they feared the potential outcomes.

As stated, your philosophical question addresses the concept of Moral Relativism and I cannot fully answer your question in a few paragraphs. An excellent question though and you are introspecting upon moral questions that have been thought about since the beginning of human civilization.

Dr. Nuccitelli  

Criminology and Forensic Psychology

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli

Cyber bullying, cyber stalking, cybercrime, cyber terrorism, online sexual predators, child predators, Internet safety, psychopathology, criminal & forensic psychology and cyber psychology.

Dr. Michael Nuccitelli is a New York State licensed psychologist and certified forensic consultant. He completed his doctoral degree in clinical psychology in 1994 from the Adler School of Professional Psychology in Chicago, Illinois. In 1997, Dr. Nuccitelli became a licensed psychologist in New York State (License # 013009.) In 2006, he received the Certified Forensic Consultant designation from the American College of Forensic Examiners (Identification # 103110.) Dr. Nuccitelli has developed a theoretical construct, iPredator, which encapsulates all online users who use Information and Communications Technology to abuse, harm, steal from or disparage other online users. His theory of iPredator is recognized by the American College of Forensic Examiners International. Prior to launching iPredator Inc., Dr. Nuccitelli worked in his community as a Forensic Psychologist.

American College of Forensic Examiners International

The Forensic Examiner

Dr. Nuccitelli is a New York State Licensed Psychologist and certified forensic consultant designated by the American College of Forensic Examiners International.