Critics of Catholicism/Jesus became God by a popular vote

Question
Isn't it true it took hundreds years before Jesus, a son of God, became the one and only God? The meaning of the term son of God evolved as hundreds of years passed by and social changes took place. There were various Christian sects who had very different opinions as to who Jesus was and what he taught. Some Gnostics claimed Jesus never died on the cross. If I remember correctly, some claimed Jesus was not a human being at all. Finally Christian bishops, by popular vote, officially proclaimed Jesus both "human" and "God" at a Church council, A.D. 325. The First Council of Nicaea was a council of Christian bishops convened in Nicaea in Bithynia (present-day İznik in Turkey) This put an end to the then theological argument that Jesus was of a lower rank and a submissive subordinate to God. See: Arianism. The Ebionites believed in the Messianic character of Jesus, but denied his divinity and supernatural origin.

Answer
The catholics may have done this, but the church has always recognized Jesus as God.

John 8:24, "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."

The word, "he," was added by the translators. It is not in the original text. The verse is actually, "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:24, "ειπον ουν υμιν οτι αποθανεισθε εν ταις αμαρτιαις υμων εαν γαρ μη πιστευσητε οτι εγω ειμι αποθανεισθε εν ταις αμαρτιαις υμων" (Textus Receptus)

Does that sound familiar? In Exodus 3:14, God is identified by the phrase, "I AM." Jesus said, in John 8:24, "I AM." This is not the only place, either.

John 8:58, "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM."

Jesus plainly laid claim to deity. Christians have always believed it and acted accordingly. It is apostates that have the problem.

Critics of Catholicism

Marvin Howard