Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses/Dating a Jehovah's Witness

Question
Hi Jeff,

I'm a 28 year-old female, and was raised in a Baptist/Methodist family.  We have rich traditions of celebrating birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, etc.  

Over 8 months ago, I started dating a wonderful man.  He's 35 years old and was raised as a Jehovah's Witness.  His family (parents, two brothers and their wives) are all active witnesses.  We've gotten pretty serious, and I'm scared.  

With the holiday season upon us, things have been interesting.  He did join my family for Thanksgiving dinner and will join us for Christmas Dinner as well as opening gifts.  He is more than willing to do this.  In fact, he even arranged for us to take a helicopter ride to look at Christmas lights this weekend.

He doesn't knock on doors, go to Kingdom Hall or "preach" to me. Is he considered inactive?  His family has been welcoming to me and our relationship.  And, honestly, I've never been happier.  Our relationship is amazing ... my family adores him, and we all just have the best time together.

What I'm scared about is having children.  If we marry (he talks about us marrying often), I definitely want children.  He knows I'll raise them celebrating holidays and birthdays, and if they need a blood transfusion, so be it!  He says this is fine, but is it really?  Are things likely to change?

I'm just very confused.  I don't want to end the relationship.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

Answer
Hi Melissa,

I so wish I could just say a few words and everything would be fine but I am afraid it is just not that easy.  Let me just say right up front that you and your boyfriend do need to be on the same team in order to have a happy life together.  If you are involved with a church, I would highly recommend you and your boyfriend to talk with your pastor about this.
Jehovah's witnesses have a belief system that is very much in contradiction with Biblical teaching and they very strongly believe that they are the only way to God.  If your boyfriend continues in that religion, he will face pressure to conform to all of the watchtower rules.  By celebrating the Christmas and Thanksgiving he can be disfellowshipped for that.  If his family is active in the religion, they will try to convert you as well.
Make no mistake, Jehovah's witness theology is contrary to the Bible.  Even though they will initially try to make themselves look Christian, they do not believe Biblical theology.  If you want some information on how Christianity and Jehovah's witnesses are different, please visit: http://carm.org/jehovahs-witnesses
You will be in my prayers as you work through this.  In closing here are a couple of things to consider.
1.  You and your boyfriend need to have unity in faith.
2.  Jehovah's witnesses teach doctrine different that the Bible even though they like to quote the Bible a lot.  (We could talk further about this if you like.)
3.  Both of you need to meet with your pastor about this
4.  Pray and seek what God wants for your relationship
5.  Beware of the watchtower conversion tactics.
6.  Two more resources that I would recommend that you and your boyfriend look at:
    http://4jehovah.org/
    http://www.evidenceministries.org/
Please write back if you want to talk further.   One final thing, you are precious to God and he wants you to be in a relationship where you can be in agreement and grow in faith.  God wants you and your boyfriend to be united in faith.  As far as the future goes, marriage and parenthood has it's own stress and you must have a common faith in order to be happy in the long term.

You are in my prayers,
Jeff

Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses

Jeff H