Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses/True christianity

Question
Dear Mr Jeff,
The Jehovah witnesses claim that they are the true christian. All others are crap and manipulated from the source. They claim that Jesus as son of god cannot be called god. They are merely following in the footsteps of Jesus. Can you please shed some light about who holds the monopoly on truth?
Please provide me with refereneces so that I can do my own research.

Thank you.

Answer
Thank you for your question.  Let me start by saying that Jehovah witnesses are not the only groups that use the Bible to claim that they are the only ones.  Mormons, Christadelphians, and other groups do the same thing.  I believe there are many people in all of these groups who are sincere, only God has the corner on truth. As you search for the truth I would recommend that you seek God in prayer for the truth before you research in.  Then search the Bible with an open mind and beware of literature that takes one verse here and there.  Look at the Bible in context.  God has done such a wonderful job of preserving his Word that most of the Bible can be interpreted by itself.  

Now lets go on to your question.  In the first part of your statement you state that JWs claim that all other religions are manipulated from the source.  They do in fact teach that.  Keep in mind that no religious group is perfect and the JWs have some issues as well.  For example their founder C. T. Russell believed that many answers to life were found in the pyramids and that the Bible could only be interpreted correctly with watchtower literature.  For a more detailed history visit: http://carm.org/jehovahs-witnesses-history

Now down to your question about who is true.  I admire your search for truth.  Let's look at who is Jesus Christ.  I think this is the ultimate question as to who it teaching truth.  Let's start this topic out by looking at some literature from the watchtower entitled, Should you believe the Trinity.  It looks convincing enough but a closer look reveals that this book misquotes and lies about what scholars really said and makes up the history that the Trinity is non Christian.  Here is the proof: http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-jw-deceptions.htm

What does the Bible say about Jesus Christ? The Bible has so much to say about Jesus Christ and I will not attempt to cover it all her but here is a start.  In John 1:1&2 the Bible states,   1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.   Pretty clear, Jesus Christ is God and was in the beginning so He was never created.  Jesus Christ created all things.  Now Jehovah's witnesses will not like this and have written much to say that the Bible says something different but in fact they have misquoted scholars to misinterpret what they really said.  Here is a list of their habit of misquoting people about John 1:1. http://www.forananswer.org/Top_JW/Scholars%20and%20NWT.htm.  
Moving on let's go on to John 2.  Here Jesus Christ states that he will raise his earthly body from the dead on the third day.  John 2: 19-22, 19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
20 Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body. 22 Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them;[c] and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.
Look at what the scriptures teach here, Jesus will raise his body from the dead.  This is clearly his earthly body not the body of believers.  The question is, who can raise someone from the dead?  The only answer is God.  The fact that Jesus Christ would make this claim points to the deity of Jesus Christ.
Going on we can look at John 8:38 & 39 58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
Not the Watchtower translation of the Bible states this I have been, but if you look at the literal translation, It can only be translated I am.  Notice in the next verse the religious leaders wanted to stone Jesus for blasphemy.  This is because they understood that Jesus was claiming deity.

Here are a couple of things to look at about the deity of Jesus Christ.  A common thought among Jehovah witnesses is that if Jesus is God then why did he pray to the father and say that the Father is greater.  Here is the answer, Jesus, while on earth limited himself to a human body. With that limitation there was a distinction between Jesus and God the Father.  When Jesus spoke of his Father being greater, the context looks at position rather than importance.  Jesus and God the Father are different but co-equal.

Here are some other scriptures to look at concerning the deity of Jesus Christ that are taken from carm.org:
JESUS
IS
GOD, "YAHWEH"

John 1:3, "Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made."
Col. 1:16-17, "For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Creator
Job 33:4, "The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life."
Isaiah 40:28, "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
Rev. 1:17, "When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.’"
Rev. 2:8, "To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again."
Rev. 22:13, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." First and Last
Isaiah 41:4, "Who has done this and carried it through, calling forth the generations from the beginning? I, the LORD -- with the first of them and with the last -- I am he."
Isaiah 44:6, "This is what the LORD says -- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."
Isaiah 48:12, "Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last."
John 8:24, "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." (NKJV)
John 8:58, "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" See Exodus 3:14
John 13:19, "I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He." I AM

"ego eimi"
Exodus 3:14, "God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’"
Isaiah 43:10, "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me."
See also Deut. 32:39
2 Tim. 4:1, "In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge..."
2 Cor. 5:10, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad." Judge
Joel 3:12, "Let the nations be roused; let them advance into the Valley of Jehoshaphat, for there I will sit to judge all the nations on every side."
Rom. 14:10, "You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat."
Matt. 2:2, "...Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him."
Luke 23:3, "So Pilate asked Jesus, "Are you the king of the Jews?" "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied."
See also John 19:21 King
Jer. 10:10, "But the LORD is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath."
Isaiah 44:6-8, "This is what the LORD says -- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."
See also Psalm 47
John 8:12,"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Luke 2:32, "a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel."
See also John 1:7-9 Light
Psalm 27:1, "The LORD is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear?"
Isaiah 60:20 ,"our sun will never set again, and your moon will wane no more; the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your days of sorrow will end."
1 John 1:5, "God is light; in him there is no darkness at all."
1 Cor. 10:4, "...for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ."
See also 1 Pet. 2:4-8. Rock
Deut. 32:4, "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."
See also 2 Sam. 22:32 and Isaiah 17:10.
John 4:42, "They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.’"
1 John 4:14, "And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world." Savior
Isaiah 43:3, "For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior"
Isaiah 45:21, "...And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me."
John 10:11, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."
Heb. 13:20, "May the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep,"
See also John 10:14,16; 1 Pet. 2:25 Shepherd
Psalm 23:1, "The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want."
Isaiah 40:11, "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young."

OK, that is a lot and we have just scratched the surface.  Here are some websites that I would encourage you to go to.  Prayerfully look at what they have to say and ask God for truth.

http://4witness.org/jehovahs_witness/jw_deity.php#topic7b
http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/jesus-is-god.htm
http://carm.org/jehovahs-witnesses

So, who holds truth, not an man-maid religion, it is Jesus Christ.  He loves you so much that he died and rose from the dead so that you and I could have eternal live and salvation from sin by believing that. Eph 2.  One more website I would like you to visit is: http://whoisjesus-really.com/

Sorry for being so wordy but I hope this will get you started in your research and seeking of truth.  Please let me know if you need anything else.

Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses

Jeff H