Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses/Beginning on the Road to Recovery

Question
QUESTION: This isn't a question, just a comment. I've read where it's been said that JWS don't acceptt blood transfusions. After taking Bible studies with a JW sister, I know that that is not EXACTLY true. They don't accept blood, but do accept alternative solution(saline solution or such). But everything else you've mentioned is true. They do use mind control and fear tactics to enlist and control their "slaves".I've gotten contradicting views of Life on Paradise Earth within the congregation such as my late husband and I won't be reunited as lovers because the men will be eunuchs in the "New System" lol. When my mother told an elder I wasn't coming back (I was never baptized, thankfully), he tried to use a fear tactic and told her to tell me that I would miss the opportunity to be resurrected with my husband. I also will not let any organization tell me what I can or cannot do in my spare time (what tv shows I should watch). They view Non Witnesses as "worldly", meaning evil, and blame EVERY little infraction on Satan. As I noticed these things, I decided that life wasn't for me. Unfortunately, I can't get my mother to open her eyes (she's a non baptized Witness so we still talk) , but she's a staunch believer of their's. She will not listen to any kind of research I've done and says it's all the work of, you guessed it,Satan. Didn't mean to go on like this, but thanks for letting me get this out :)

ANSWER: Dear Lesley,

Thanks for making your comment public so that others can learn from your experience, and perhaps circumnavigate some of the heartache you have suffered.

Please let me know if you would like any help in dealing with your mother.

Healing and joy,
Andrew

QUESTION: Hi Andrew
Thank you for your offer to help with my mother, but unfortunately the  saying ''you can lead a horse to water ..." Comes to mind when it comes to her.

I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. I don't know if I will make sense, but here goes.
Did at anytime during your 30 yrs as a Witness  were you "always happy", or did you find at times that your personal life had become exceedingly burdensome( financially or such). I know we all go through rough periods in our lives, but I found my life getting worse not better while I was with the Witnesses. My mother told me that Satan attacks only those who "follow the True God, Jehovah'', and Jehovah's way of testing my faith in him. Since I've left, my life may not be 100% better, but it' s certainly easier.

And do you think it would be wrong for me to want to continue using Jehovah's name  if I keep worshipping Him on my own without the benefit of a human organization? The Witnesses have almost turned me completely against religion, but I don't really want to stop learning about who God really is . What do you think?

Answer
Dear Lesley,

The Witnesses use many tactics to control minds, as you have already discovered. One of those tactics is to reframe unrelated life events as being an indication of God's (dis)pleasure. For example, when things are going well for us, it is either because God has blessed us or because we aren't fighting the devil hard enough and therefore he isn't putting obstacles in our way as he should be. The converse can also be framed: When things are going badly for us, it can be framed as being abandoned by God, or that we did well and therefore are experiencing the wrath of the devil. This kind of reframing can go on ad infinitum, and has everything to do with the agenda of the coach, and nothing to do with the observed events or any real cause and effect. It is strictly an agenda-driven control tactic. While there is a kernel of truth in every good lie, that doesn't mean we should give the lie credence; so "painting with a finer brush" is my answer to that tactic.

In my personal life path behind, of course there were easier and harder times. But what I know about myself in my bones is that I was never in it to please my fellow Witnesses, or even the Witness leadership (elders at various levels in their hierarchy). For me it was always between me and God; and the Witness teachings were only a false lens through which I saw God temporarily. So my moments of real happiness were true because I was actually connecting with God despite the Witness lens. (Those who have chosen a non-spiritual path, please feel free to replace with the word "Higher Self" or what have you.)

When we leave the Witnesses and begin a path of recovery, our lives can get better because we can begin to develop healthier social skills, unconditional relationships, a more integral relationship with the core of our being, overcome sick mind games like judgmentalism (outwardly) and shaming (inwardly), and best of all we can begin to discover the real meaning of love, which is always unconditional (there is no such thing as "conditional love").

But that beneficial outcome depends on whether we are actually working our recovery. Most former Witnesses never recover because they don't work at it, imagining that "time heals all wounds", which does not apply here. I think a helpful rule of thumb is to plan six months of concerted effort in recovery for every year you spent under the influence of the Witnesses. It takes that much time of active effort (reading books, meeting with others in recovery, seeing specially-trained therapists, etc.) to discover and gradually remove from your mind most of the tentacles the Witnesses place within the minds of their followers.

Your relationship with God is and should be whatever you determine it to be. You should be absolutely free to discover God (your Higher Self, etc.) in whatever way you are inspired to. After a long period of being told aggressively what to think about God, it will be a challenge to switch to a dynamic of instead listening to your heart, your soul, the whisperings of heaven, etc. That is a worthwhile challenge to meet.

In the short term, you must absolutely avoid anyone who would tell you what to think about God, as there are many such people, and all of them have an agenda having nothing to do with your well-being. That would only be replacing one sick dependency with another. If it is authentic to you to use the name "Jehovah", then by all means do. It is YOUR decision, and if there is any external divinity, it is between you and that divinity what you call him. Listen to your own heart and soul, or listen for God's direct inspiration, not the words of human beings, for guidance on this. You can do it, though it will take time.

Blessings,
Andrew

Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses

Andrew