Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses/Neighbors proselytizing minor

Question
Our 15 year old grandson was visiting us.  He was in our fenced in back yard playing with our dog.  The Jehovah's witnesses next door started talking with him and he ended up in their yard.  He came home almost two hours later with a Jehovah's bible.  I'm furious!  I intend to return the bible to them and let them know what they did was intrusive and offensive.  I'll ask them if they want me preaching my religious beliefs to their children when playing in the back yard.  Are there any laws in NY against proselytizing minors?

Answer
Dear Patricia,

Thank you for not making your question private. Others will benefit from your experience.

I understand your fury completely, however, I don't think the law is on your side specifically. Proselytizing in the US is widely supported under "religious freedoms". The law (like the psychology industry) generally doesn't recognize the reality of cult mind control.

I can't comment on laws of specific states, only in general. In general, in the US, as I understand it (and I am not a laywer), a specific person would be legally obliged to comply if you were to prohibit them from speaking to your minor child only AFTER you prohibit them, and only as an individual. So (assuming New York law is so) this could help only after your child gets involved, and I'm not sure it would apply to a grandchild, unless you have custody.

So instead of legal remedies, I suggest you focus on what's likely to be effective with supporting your grandson's freedom of mind. I would definitely discourage him from pursuing it using gentle methods, but if you use draconian methods, there is a risk it would backfire.

Everyone, and particularly those getting involved, should receive education on what cult mind control is, and how it works. Almost no one has this knowledge, yet it is vital to be intimately familiar with it. Those who are not are at risk. Those who expose themselves to cult mind control tactics, as your grandson is now apparently doing, are at special risk, making this education all the more important.

To avoid the backfire of belligerence that is likely to come if you get draconian with your grandson, I would instead suggest that you lay down a criteria with him, such as: "OK, you can learn about them for a month, but only after you study cult mind control tactics for a month". Since this is fair-minded, he is less likely to respond belligerently. Since it will inoculate him and make him less vulnerable, it is less likely that he will become ensnared by his exposure to the cult.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes,
Terence

Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses

Andrew