Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses/Step-mom to 14 yr old jehovah witness

Question
I met and married my husband almost four years ago. He had divorced his first wife because she had gone back to the jehovah witness. That religion has a way of taking over a persons life in a very wrong way. They have a son that I will call S. He is about to be 14 and is being prepped for whatever is expected at 14 at the kingdom hall. Since we have been married, we have worked around S. non-holiday schedules. It has been very stressful for us! I have a 13 year old of my own and now a 2 year old. I will not allow my children to suffer because S. has begun to feel very strong about some things. (I really need to mention that my husband agrees with everything that I am saying here and feels that our hands are tied because of him being the dad and not the mom. Moms seem to have more power legally.) I really think that we could get through the teen years(that are hard in there own way) without the cult, but S mom is really giving us alot of problem too. There is no respect and we hear about it, if we punish in any way. I get very apprehensive and nervous when I know S. is coming to visit, and am all nerves by time he leaves. We have wonderful times, but when he gets home, we can still expect to hear of the one bad thing that happened. Does the jehovah witnesses back this? We are a decent God fearing family. I knew that the Jehovah Witnesses were bad news, but I was not prepared for it this close and personal! Is there any hope? We have lawyers for the legal matters, but I though jehovah witnesses were taught a moral code of some kind!?

Answer
I wish I had something to say that would make this all better but I don't.  The watchtower has a very systematic method to get their members brain washed into thinking that their only hope of escaping Armageddon is to become completely loyal to their organization.  Jehovah's witnesses also regularly condemn all other religious groups and especially Christian groups. Jehovah's witnesses are taught not to participate in anything that the watchtower disapproves of.  

OK, maybe that does not help.  I have some in-laws that are Jehovah's witnesses and here are some thing that might make things better.

1. Pray - The Holy Spirit can reach him.
2. Love - Show him that you indeed love God and him.  There is something about loving someone that is hard to argue with.
3. If you are in a church, maybe invite some of the church kids over and do something fun.
4. If he starts to bring up things that he things are wrong, maybe engage in a discussion.  Ask him why these things are wrong and look at what the Bible says.  (I had a conversation once with a devout Jehovah's witness about blood transfusions.  When we looked at what the Bible really says about blood and not just what the watchtower told him it said, he was shocked, this lead him to eventually leave the tight grips of the watchtower.
5. You could try showing him articles like this: http://thewatchtowerfiles.com/youryouth/  The only problem with this one is that the average Jehovah's witness is taught that all things that contradict the watchtower are, in their words, "apostate".

There is hope.  Even though the watchtower seems to have tight grips on the mind of S, the good news is that they are just a man-made organization that seems to contradict itself every few years.  I will be praying for S and for your family.  I will be praying that S will be delivered from the watchtower and be set free through the grace of Jesus Christ.  I will be praying that you and your family will experience a fresh renewal of the grace of God to help you to deal with this.

I want to send you this link that may help.  It has lots of good ideas in how to communicate with a loved one who is a Jehovah's witness:  http://4jehovah.org/what-you-need-to-know-to-rescue-your-loved-one-from-jehovahs

I would also recommend that you share this with your pastor so that you can get the support you need from a local church.

Feel free to follow up if you need to.

Critics of Jehovah`s Witnesses

Jeff H